Hotel Rosslyn/Rosslyn Lofts

tombarnes

It appears as though work has finally begun on the Rosslyn Annex (aka the Frontier Hotel). I understand it will be known as the Rosslyn Lofts. Does anyone know anything more about this project? What about the original Rosslyn across the street. Here's an old post card image of the two buildings from the Parkinson Archives..

http://www.parkives.com/archives_images/bu...downtown/14.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

I spoke with someone at the Los Angeles Conservancy today about the Rosslyn. She said that the renovation is proceeding, however slowly. The SRO housing in the buildings continues to be an impediment to the total redevelopment of the buildings. The lobbies of both buildings are being slowly restored and art galleries have taken space on the first floor of both the Rosslyn and the Annex (Frontier), but renovation of the rooms upstairs is mired in red tape. The money is there, but it is next to impossible to evict the tenants in these buildings. An unfortunate situation. Better news of the Hotel Alexandria nearby. It will be renovated into condos or apartments very soon.

• 2 months later...

It appears as though work has finally begun on the Rosslyn Annex (aka the Frontier Hotel). I understand it will be known as the Rosslyn Lofts. Does anyone know anything more about this project? What about the original Rosslyn across the street.

As I recall, the Frontier Hotel occupied the building on the northwest corner of Fifth and Main Streets. (Google search gives an address of 111 West Fifth, which puts it on the north side of the street.) That was not the annex, but the original Rosslyn tower. It opened late in 1914. The tower on the southwest corner was the annex, which opened about 1923.

As can be seen by this historic photograph of Main Street, the north tower of the Rosslyn existed before the south tower.

This photo, from the USC digital archive, appears to be mis-dated, by the way. It is labeled 1917, but construction scaffolding can be seen around the ground floor of the hotel, the lower floors are adorned with construction signs, and the room windows appear to be devoid of curtains, all of which indicate a building not quite complete. Thus the actual date of th photo must be 1914. However, this does not detract from the clear evidence that the north building of the Rosslyn was the first of the two towers built.

This is not the first reference I've seen to the north tower being the annex and the south tower being the original hotel. In fact neither tower was the original Rosslyn Hotel building, which was farther up Main Street, and which continued to be part of the hotel as the business expanded southward. I don't know where the rumor that the south tower was the original hotel began, but it is definitely false.

• 3 weeks later...

It is so hard for me to believe that any of these buildings will house lofts after seeing all of their interiors about 3 years ago. People smoking weed openly in the halls, havens for hookers and stench, the living conditions in there were rediculous. It is good news to see them being used, however I wonder about the displacement of these low low if no income people, and how it will affect the already uncontrollable homeless problem LA faces, or more or less ignores.

As far as illegal activity is concerned, this has no bearing upon whether or not a building is fit to be renovated for other uses. As for the present occupants, there are plenty of places in East L.A. for them to go. These buildings are far too valuable to let them continue to go to seed. I'm confident that the renovations will take place, even if they don't happen tomorrow. Eventually, the idea of urban living will catch on in downtown Los Angeles. It's starting tro hapen already. Pot seeds and grubby occupants can be swept away. Good buildings shouldn't be.

this thread proves to me how superficial my knowledge of LA truly is! tsk, tsk, shameful :P

I've never heard of the Rosslyn before, but I have explored around downtown LA lately and noticed lots of these old hotels that must've once been truly glamorous places, and are now either abandoned or very shabby places that are home to a lot of illegal drug activity. the homeless situation is a complete crisis, it bothers me more and more every day, makes me wanna have a lil chat with the mayor.. how does he expect LA to attract more businesses and tourists when this problem and the reputation it brings persists, and in fact has been worsening?

there's a lot of great old architecture in downtown LA that really is begging for some attention. yes many of these old places are currently neglected but I see huge potential here.. and it's kind of frustrating that things are taking so long to develop, but in another 5 years or so, I can imagine a different LA emerging... as for the low/no-income residents, they are in need of critical services and support, not being "swept away". it is sad to see such a successful city on the surface, struggling so hard underneath. after all, these are human beings too, don't forget. there is a serious drug, prostitution, and mental illness problems but also many of the homeless on skid row in recent years have taken on a new face: women and children, single moms who can no longer afford to pay rent, who are struggling to make ends meet and couldn't make it.

and yes the high cost of living associated with gentrified downtowns and loft/condo developments do push them out of these areas, as has been observed in other redeveloped downtowns across the nation. it's a side effect of gentrification and redevelopment that some applaud and others bemoan. these redevelopments are of course very costly, and once completed, the developers no doubt want to rake in profits, not just cover the costs of all their work.

This week's copy of the Downtown News has a story about the continuing problems with the Frontier Hotel/Rosslyn:

More Trouble at the Frontier Hotel

City Attorney Says Landlord Was Late on $75,000 Bill, Though Owner Denies Wrongdoing

by Chris Coates

The City Attorney's office launched an investigation last week into why the owner of the Frontier Hotel at Fifth and Main streets was nearly $75,000 late in paying Department of Water and Power (DWP) bills during February. The action came as the owner is undertaking a $12 million renovation of the structure.

http://www.downtownnews.com/articles/2006/...news/news02.txt

• 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived