Winecoff Hotel

tombarnes

Yes, I was walking around Downtown today and noticed numerous vacant retail spaces--especially near the old Macy's building. How great would it be if a store like H&M..which I've only seen in NY, San Fran and Boston...came and moved into the old Macy's building.

It is going to take a large retailer that you can't get at Lenox or Phipps to make people go there...and then hopefully other retailers would move in and revitalize these vancant spaces and we would truly have a Downtown shopping district...and not a fake one like Atlantic Station.

Retail is pretty tricky and not many retailers would take a risk on trying to create a market. I think retail will return to that area of Downtown in some form or fashion but not just yet.

H&M is all over the northeast and expanding rapidly. I have a hunch they'll be interested in one of the retail locations on Peachtree that are supposed to start later this year (1010 or Trilogy).

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is an H&M in the old Woodward and Lothrop building in downtown Washington. The store occupies part of the building and the rest is office space. Something along these lines might work in the old Macy's/Rich's building.

• 10 months later...

The Ellis Will Open in September

The projected opening of the Ellis Hotel, the renovated Winecoff building, has now been delayed until September. Given the layers of bad renovations over the years, this comes as no great surprise. I'm just happy to see that the building is once again going to have life inside. I can't wait to see what they have planned for the interior.

Hotel-Online

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I still think the building should have been replaced. It would be very hard to stay in a hotel where almost exactly the number of people necessary to fill each of the guest rooms died all on one night. That would be like partying at the Station or the Beverly Hills Supper Club. Do the hotel's brochures tell its tragic history, I wonder?

Archived