Blue Devil Partners West Village

urbanesq

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alivia's is a great little place...should be even more of a smash hit as the weather warms up. Cool, urban ambiance inside (they did a great job w/ the decor)--and my wife and I thought the waitstaff did a great job. This would be a great place to hang out on a lazy afternoon. I've been to Piedmont for brunch--the french toast was killer. Rue Cler is excellent as well...tried that out for dinner with my wife about a month ago.

I live right by the tracks that run along the east of Duke Street. Last week there were some heavy-duty land-clearing machines tearing out the brush from the train bridge over Trinity Ave. down through the tracks that run alongside the West Village area. I'd imagine the bridge over Trinity could somehow connect to the Ellerbee Creek Trail that runs north to the Museum of Life & Science and south to the American Tobacco Trail via Blackwell Street perhaps.

That's exactly the idea. :-) The railroad bridge over Trinity would carry the Duke Beltline trail, with a connection to the Ellerbee Creek trail there at Trinity.

Interesting to hear it was being cleared. I'm guessing the railroad has to do that every now and then (for liability reasons, perhaps?)

Looks like NCDOT is taking a second look at relocating the Amtrak station into the West Village complex. This decision apparently happened as it became clear that TTA wasn't going to secure federal funding for the rail line.

The article is here.

DOT analysts are now reconsidering their options, looking at a set of possibilities that includes going through with the move to West Village, building another Amtrak station on TTA-owned land about 100 yards to the northwest, and retaining the present station. No timetable for a decision has been set.

I was always glad Durham was getting a new Amtrak station, but it was always a bit of a disappointment how it wouldn't be integrated with the other modes of transportation at the future Durham Transportation Center project planned for the Heart of Durham lot. This doesn't seem to be in the list of options, but it would be nice if NCDOT could join this project. That would make for a more integrated multimodal facility.

• 10 months later...

It's been a while for an update on this project, but here's one from TBJ. Apparently BDV is trying to finish work by tomorrow in order to qualify for historic tax credits to the tune of $30M. They are going to miss the deadline, but according to TBJ the goal now is to finish work by the end of the year on the other four buildings - Cobb Warehouse, O'Brien Warehouse, Walker Building and Main Street Office. Work on those four buildings was about 90 percent complete as of Dec. 19.

Blue Devil Partners has built a 462-space parking garage on Fuller Street as part of West Village. A third development phase of West Village, which includes rehabilitation of the 102,090-square-foot Chesterfield Factory building, is expected to begin in the summer of 2008.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

BTT for this topic as there have been a few developments in recent months.

Blue Devil Ventures have been sued by real estate investors of West Village, which has many wondering whether the huge Chesterfield building can be finished without the former Duke basketball stars at the helm.

The good news is it's an incredibly unique property (probably unlike any in NC or at least the Triangle) and the phase I apartments and offices in West Village are mostly full, showing that the market has responded to this project's potential. I really want to see the Chesterfield come to life, as it will be another step in connecting the Brightleaf area to downtown proper (inside the loop).

140-CRE-RealDeals-070909.ART_G0OJ5T2H.1%20cre0709IMG_0048.JPG.mi_embedded.prod_affiliate.3.jpg

• 4 years later...

Archived