Wealthiest Large Towns in New England

Bartholomew

The following are the seven large towns or cities with the highest median household income in New England.

1. Greenwich, Connecticut $99,086

2. Newton, Massachusetts $86,052

3. Fairfield, Connecticut $83,512

4. Brookline, Massachusetts $66,711

5. West Hartford, Connecticut 61,665

6. Milford, Connecticut $61,167

7. Stamford, Connecticut $60,556

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two towns I am surprised to not be mentioned in Greater Hartford: Avon and Glastobury. According to CNN-Money Glastonbury has a median household income of $83,447 and Avon of $97,553.

Kind of surprised to see West Hartford. Although there are million dollar homes, upscale botiques and prestigous private schools in WH there is still some crime and racial and socioeconomic segragation in the schools and the towns neighborhoods.

Two towns I am surprised to not be mentioned in Greater Hartford: Avon and Glastobury. According to CNN-Money Glastonbury has a median household income of $83,447 and Avon of $97,553.

Kind of surprised to see West Hartford. Although there are million dollar homes, upscale botiques and prestigous private schools in WH there is still some crime and racial and socioeconomic segragation in the schools and the towns neighborhoods.

This list is towns over 50,000.

Avon comparable to Greenwich? That can't be...

Avon is by the far the richest suburb of Hartford and one of the richest in the country, but Greenwich is in a league of its own. Are those numbers accurate...Greenwich at $99k and Avon at $97k?

It would help if I paid attention to the fact that info was for towns 50,000+, oops!!!

On another note there are varying medain households for each town across America but in terms of one site I will compare them.

CNN Money has a site about places to live and among other things includes the median household income which for

Greenwich = $102,819

Glastonbury = $83,447

Avon = $97, 553

West Hartford = $68,750

Stamford = $68,321

Towns not mentioned which are of intrest

Brookline, Mass (Pop. 50,522) = $70,618

Fairfield, CT (Pop: 53,882) = $90,983

Greenwich = $102,819

Avon = $97, 553

Still amazing to me how close Avon is to Greenwich. I guess the main difference nowadays is the property values. In Avon there are still a few houses left that sell for under $350,000, while you can't buy a shack in Greenwich for under $500,000.

P.S. (Very)Minor celebrity sighting. Saw Stewart Scott and family at the Chili's in Avon/Simsbury last weekend. I'm guessing most of the SportsCenter anchors live in Avon.

Still amazing to me how close Avon is to Greenwich. I guess the main difference nowadays is the property values. In Avon there are still a few houses left that sell for under $350,000, while you can't buy a shack in Greenwich for under $500,000.

P.S. (Very)Minor celebrity sighting. Saw Stewart Scott and family at the Chili's in Avon/Simsbury last weekend. I'm guessing most of the SportsCenter anchors live in Avon.

I wouldn't call Stewart Scott a (very) minor celebrity. He is nationally known, Minor is like a local news anchor or somebody regional, IMO.

^Good point. I guess we're a little jaded around these parts because SportsCenter anchors are all over the place. I'll tell you what was cool though...while a bunch of us were waiting to be seated (along with Stu), everyone knew who Stewart Scott was, but nobody asked for an autograph or made stupid remarks to him about the show. I like that because it shows respect for the famous person who probably doesn't want to be bothered while going out to dinner with his family. One of my pet peeves is when people start going nuts because a celebrity is in their vicinity.

^Good point. I guess we're a little jaded around these parts because SportsCenter anchors are all over the place. I'll tell you what was cool though...while a bunch of us were waiting to be seated (along with Stu), everyone knew who Stewart Scott was, but nobody asked for an autograph or made stupid remarks to him about the show. I like that because it shows respect for the famous person who probably doesn't want to be bothered while going out to dinner with his family. One of my pet peeves is when people start going nuts because a celebrity is in their vicinity.

I feel exactly the same way. It almost makes me wonder do those people feel so unimportant that they have to act starstruck anytime someone famous is around. They are regular people and I know they respect people who treat them normally more than people who act like fools.

Most Recent Figues Available:

States with Per Capita Income greater than $40,000 in 2004:

1. Connecticut $45,398

2. Massachusetts $41,801

3. New Jersey $41,332

States with Median Household Income of greater than $80,000 in 2003:

1. New Jersey $87,412

2. Connecticut $86,001

3. Massachusetts $82,561

4. Maryland $82,363

• 1 month later...

Hey, I used to live in Fairfield. Isn't Fairfield County the richest in the country? Maybe it's second, after that one in San Francisco. I know that it's one or two, though. There's a lot of wealth there in CT.

Fairfield County consitently ranks in the richest counties in the USA. In addition to the FC, they include Marlin County, CA (north of San fran), Westchester County (NY), Fairfax County, VA(South of DC), Loudon County,VA (horrible sprawl north of Dulles Airport in DC) and Douglas County, CO (in between Denver and Colorado Springs). A quick google search will show find this.

Archived