Friday Night Brawl in the Mall

pdxstreetcar

Friday Night a large fight broke out in the food court, smaller "disturbances" later occured outside the mall and inside the CVS (and Kennedy Plaza). The movie theater shut down early and apparently the mall was evacuated. The fighting was believed to be connected to the 50 Cent movie "Get Rich or Die Tryin'". A police car was involved in an accident outside the mall responding to the incident.

6 arrested including a Providence Place security guard.

Providence Place melee nets six

Mall theater closes after disturbance

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised they haven't banned minors from the mall after certain hours on weekend nights, like they have in many malls across the country. I don't personally like the idea, but wouldn't be surprised if they tried this at PPM. At the mall here in Albany, they have security guards that ID anyone walking around who looks under 18.

Someone got shot going to see this in another city, I think Philly? Then Loews decided not to carry it.. It was "attracting a young male audience, who was prone to violence".. Haha.. I love how people try to skate the issue.. I find it humorous.. Walking on a tightrope.. The media trying to report what happened and why, without saying what happened and why..

Someone got shot going to see this in another city, I think Philly? Then Loews decided not to carry it.. It was "attracting a young male audience, who was prone to violence".. Haha.. I love how people try to skate the issue.. I find it humorous.. Walking on a tightrope.. The media trying to report what happened and why, without saying what happened and why..

It's called being politically correct. But I have absolutely no doubt in my mind on how you would choose to report this story. :(

It's called being politically correct. But I have absolutely no doubt in my mind on how you would choose to report this story. :(

I was there, walking to the Prov train station on my way to Boston, so if you want specific details I'll be happy to give them to you.. My guess is you don't, judging from your post..

http://www.projo.com/news/content/projo_20...14.7710027.html

Its interesting to me, thats all.. There is distinct double standard in reporting... When Kanye West says "Bush doesn't like black people", it creates a stir.. And it makes reporters, scared to be called a "racist", avoid reporting the facts..

Take the above article.. Very clear on the race of those involved.. But the articles on violence at the mall and movies don't mention the race of the people involved, rather they skirt the facts saying young males prone to violence... Why is that?

Now, I know there are some people in here that will claim that it is racist to point out the differences in reporting.. I don't think that at all.. Its just pointing out the truth, which is being hid under the veil of "Political Correctness".. Its very easy to say that minorities get pulled over more.. But its political suicide to say per capita, minorities perform far more crime.. Both are merely stating the facts, there is nothing racist about that.. Both statements are as true as "The sky is blue".

Political correctness shouldn't be part of the "news".. The news is supposed to be the truth, not sugar coated.. Thats all I'm saying..

Keep the political correctness for all other walks of life... But I'll take my news with a side of honesty and a garnish of the facts, thank you..

Its very easy to take Frankie's point of view on this.. I bet he feels good about himself, putting me down and dismissing a valid, non-racist point of view.. And Frankie gets to belittle me with his response, and make me out to be some ignorant, insensitive person, which of course I am not..

But personally, I think its racism in reporting.. Some people call it "reverse racism", but that term makes no sense to me.. Racism is racism.. The news climate only calls for reporting that portrays minorites in a positive light, or risk the chance of being a "racist reporter".. Thats not fair and impartial news.. Not to me anyway..

Its just pointing out the truth, which is being hid under the veil of "Political Correctness".. Its very easy to say that minorities get pulled over more..

Political correctness shouldn't be part of the "news".. The news is supposed to be the truth, not sugar coated.. Thats all I'm saying..

Keep the political correctness for all other walks of life... But I'll take my news with a side of honesty and a garnish of the facts, thank you..

I agree with a lot of your points, TheAnk, especially in regards to the Lowes in Philly not wanting to attract that "young males who are prone to violence" thing. I mean, jeez, say what you mean.

On the other hand, I'm not sure how identifying the races of the kids involved in the fight at the mall would have added anything, journalistically speaking. Facts are, there was a big fight at the mall. Why does it matter to me, a non-fighting mall-goer, what the fighters looked like? You're right that it would be ridiculously politically correct if it was a public safety issue where this group of kids is going around picking fights with all kinds of people, we all need to look out for them for our own safety, but we're still not told what they look like. That's not the case, so I don't think it would have been relevant to the article.

I know that there are journalistic guidelines for how much information should go into a piece like this. I wish we had a veteran journalist in our midst to give an opinion.

I think it is irresponsible to play the political correctness game while people are dying. Black kids shot and killed black kids over a movie! Until we can state those facts out loud without fear of reprisals from the extreme left, the issues of racism that are plaguing this country cannot be properly addressed and dealt with.

I had a chance to post this story over the weekend but choose not to because I knew it would lead to this. But my anger over this incident is squarely with the Theater for even showing this film there. Couldn't they have predicted what would or could have happened with so many young people in attendence? But what really worries me is what and how people are going to view the mall's safety over this incident. Imagine how terrified customers were in the food court. Remember the gang fight in the food court about a year ago when a woman with a child in a stroller got in the middle of a fight? Time to put the hammer down. TEEN CURFEW! And don't you just love how mall mangagement NEVER has a comment to make over these incidents!

This will be my LAST post on this matter!

I think it is irresponsible to play the political correctness game while people are dying. Black kids shot and killed black kids over a movie! Until we can state those facts out loud without fear of reprisals from the extreme left, the issues of racism that are plaguing this country cannot be properly addressed and dealt with.

This is exactly my point.. Ignoring something doesn't make it go away... "If we don't talk about it, it doesn't exist".. Instead, lets paint a rosy picture and believe that.. Its irresponsible, and socially detrimental.. This is what I meant by my post Frankie.. Its like telling an alcoholic that they aren't one.. Their alcoholism will undoubtedly get worse upon hearing that they aren't one..

Its not politically correct to state the facts.. Because, facts aren't politically correct..

Regarding the babies with AK-47s.. That was intended to be humorous..

There was someone murdered a few houses up from me last night.. This is serious, and pretending it doesn't exist doesn't help.. It makes it worse.. Its almost an enabling behavior..

In unrelated news, there was no violence reported this weekend at Chicken Little showings..

I was just recounting how many times you've pointed out that there are babies in SP carrying cloaks. That's not racist?

I don't think TheAnk needs me to defend him, but this is a reference to a Dave Chappelle routine, which is actually pretty damn funny.

I'm totally with you, Cotuit. But I think issues like that need to be dealt with really thoroughly and thoughtfully, and I don't think a little article reporting a crime incident is the place to make that happen. That's not the role of that kind of article, and I don't think pointing out the race of those involved would either add to the article or help solve the larger problem. It's not like the articles about the incident at the mall and in Philly tried to fool anyone into thinking there's no violence problem in minority communities.

Also, about these "reprisals from the far left"-What are we worried about, someone chanting "Hey Hey Ho Ho, something something's got to go!" while wearing a politically-themed costume? Please.

Also, about these "reprisals from the far left"-What are we worried about, someone chanting "Hey Hey Ho Ho, something something's got to go?" while wearing a politically-themed costume? Please.

That's exactly what I fear, I don't want to have to see that! :shok::ph34r:

But I think issues like that need to be dealt with really thoroughly and thoughtfully, and I don't think a little article reporting a crime incident is the place to make that happen. That's not the role of that kind of article, and I don't think pointing out the race of those involved would either add to the article or help solve the larger problem.

I agree, but this event at Providence Place happened on Saturday, it's now Monday and everyone's talking about it. Part of the media's job is to frame discussion, and I don't think it is too much to ask of the Journal to have an op-ed piece about it in today's paper. This is a perfect opportunity to engage in discussion about the wider issues that are reflected in this rioting.

That's exactly what I fear, I don't want to have to see that! :shok::ph34r:

Anything but the giant paper mache head! For god's sake, think of the children!

I don't think it is too much to ask of the Journal to have an op-ed piece about it in today's paper. This is a perfect opportunity to engage in discussion about the wider issues that are reflected in this rioting.

You seem to be operating under the assumption that the Journal is not a stupid paper with bad writers.

Seriously, it would be great if they got the right person to write a really smart piece about this, but I have little faith.

You seem to be operating under the assumption that the Journal is not a stupid paper with bad writers.

Yes, true. It would have been nice to have some sort of commentary on it today, a boy can dream can't he? Perhaps the Phoenix will have something on it on Thursday.

Seriously, it would be great if they got the right person to write a really smart piece about this, but I have little faith.

It doesn't have to be a Journal writer.

Now, would this topic be considered going off the deep end on something that has nothing to do with UP? You could consider this a "discussion" but further "opinions" on this matter could result in somebody going off like a tyrant using too many metaphors. Let's leave our opinions on this one boys and girls to our own philosophies and not involve this as a discussion on UP...Shall we? -_-

i have a friend whos cuzin was involved in the "brawl".. and she told me it all started about the east side vs. the south side of kids... and the movie brought the two sides at the wrong time and place....

my only opinion on this is that i hope the mall stops playing movies that will bring crowds like this again.

Now, would this topic be considered going off the deep end on something that has nothing to do with UP? You could consider this a "discussion" but further "opinions" on this matter could result in somebody going off like a tyrant using too many metaphors. Let's leave our opinions on this one boys and girls to our own philosophies and not involve this as a discussion on UP...Shall we? -_-

Well not if the people posting in this topic behave as adults. Follow the rules of this forum and any discussion related to the urban environment is fair game for UP, including this topic. If you personally find it difficult to handle I recommend not clicking on the link. The purpose of this forum is to encourage discussion even on difficult topics.

i have a friend whos cuzin was involved in the "brawl".. and she told me it all started about the east side vs. the south side of kids... and the movie brought the two sides at the wrong time and place....

isnt that what all the hope high kennedy plaza brawls are over... the south side vs. east side?

Well not if the people posting in this topic behave as adults. Follow the rules of this forum and any discussion related to the urban environment is fair game for UP, including this topic. If you personally find it difficult to handle I recommend not clicking on the link. The purpose of this forum is to encourage discussion even on difficult topics.

Thank you, monsoon. Architecture and new buildings are only one piece of the picture in improving life in our cities. History has shown us how things go when we ignore the rest of the factors and think we're going to fix everything by building a lot of fancy high-rises. Just because something is unpleasant to talk about doesn't mean we shouldn't talk about it, as long as we can be civil.

Archived