SHANGHAI [1] Nanjing Road Neon Extravaganza

hkskyline

I visited Shanghai back in September along with a number of cities in the Yangtze River Delta. My first impression of Shanghai was the awful traffic. I was stuck on the elevated expressway for about an hour, but got a chance to admire their very futuristic cityscape. There are a lot of new developments everywhere, and I have never seen a city with such bold expressions of modern architecture. The diversity, style, and height combined gave a certain level of uniqueness that is not easily replicable elsewhere.

shanghai-map.jpg

Here is the first of my multi-part series on Shanghai - the nightlife on Nanjing Road, the busiest pedestrianized shopping street in the city.

Visit my new Shanghai gallery at : http://www.geocities.com/asiaglobe/gallery/shanghai.htm

SEPT29-S05-003.jpg

SEPT29-S05-009.jpg

SEPT29-S05-031.jpg

Notice the lights on the ground. They actually change!

SEPT29-S05-027.jpg

SEPT29-S05-025.jpg

SEPT29-S05-014.jpg

The lights are amazing, especially since you can see them for a long long stretch of the street.

SEPT29-S05-034.jpg

SEPT29-S05-039.jpg

SEPT29-S05-040.jpg

SEPT29-S05-041.jpg

There are also quite a few specimens of European-style architecture. The historic Bund district and the waterfront are not too far away from here.

SEPT29-S05-048.jpg

SEPT29-S05-052.jpg

SEPT29-S05-047.jpg

SEPT29-S05-066.jpg

SEPT29-S05-084.jpg

SEPT29-S05-080.jpg

I didn't particularly liked the shopping though. A lot of the clothes were geared for older people. Nevertheless there were a lot of young people hanging around here.

SEPT29-S05-076.jpg

SEPT29-S05-086.jpg

SEPT29-S05-100.jpg

SEPT29-S05-098.jpg

SEPT29-S05-103.jpg

SEPT29-S05-104.jpg

SEPT29-S05-105.jpg

SEPT29-S04-045.jpg

SEPT29-S05-109.jpg

SEPT29-S04-049.jpg

Welcome to Shanghai!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, those are some great pics, thanks for posting them. Yeah I've been hearing a lot about Shanghai for a while now. Hong Kong is known for it's buildings and cityscape but Shanghai is quickly making up lost ground. The only problem I've heard mentioned about Shanghia is that they really havn't appreciated their older buildings and have been tearing many of them down to put up new buildings. Their developments are great but hopefully they'll start making a better effort to keep some of the past too.

Impressive pictures. Looks like Shanghai is modernizing very fast. Hard to imagine that 30 years ago, the city was still quite undevelopped and not modern (Western) at all!

My cousin just returned from Shanghai, he stayed there for 2 weeks. He said it was amazing. A lot of people seem to be visiting China these days.

Archived