I-22 Updates

Blazer85

- The section of I-22 from Jasper, AL to the Mississippi state line should be opened in 10 days.

- The section of I-22 from Jasper, AL to Adamsville, AL should be completed in 2007.

- The major interchange of I-65 and I-22 should be completed by 2012 or sooner. The interchange involves a multi-stack organization and will also include additional lane(s) to I-65 from the interchange southward towards the I-65/I-20/59 interchange. Total cost of interchange: $150M

• 1 month later...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

- The section of I-22 from Jasper, AL to the Mississippi state line should be opened in 10 days.

- The section of I-22 from Jasper, AL to Adamsville, AL should be completed in 2007.

- The major interchange of I-65 and I-22 should be completed by 2012 or sooner. The interchange involves a multi-stack organization and will also include additional lane(s) to I-65 from the interchange southward towards the I-65/I-20/59 interchange. Total cost of interchange: $150M

I-22?

Never heard of this road. Whats the full stats on it?

• 4 weeks later...

US 78 between Memphis and Birmingham used to be a two-lane road. The road was nortorious for its volume of truck traffic, mainly going between Atlanta and Memphis. Mississippi began to upgrade its sections of US 78 to a four-lane freeway in the 1970's. Alabama did not begin upgrading US 78 until the 1980's. After its designation into Appalachian Development Highway System as Corridor "X", construction of the freeway in Alabama accelerated. Tennessee did not, and currently has not upgraded any of US 78 in that state.

On the other end at Memphis, it's not entirely certain how it will connect with the interstate system.

The current consensus has I-22 following the proposed Memphis Outer Loop to intersect with I-55 in Southhaven, MS. DeSoto County is currently issuing bonds to fund the construction of the loop from I-55 eastward to Marshall County, right before the loop is supposed to intersect with US 78/I-22.

Another option is to upgrade Lamar Avenue in Memphis proper to a freeway up to I-240. This option would be expensive, and the Tennessee Department of Transporation does not seem interested in pursuing this option anyway.

It seems as if Mississippi will finish the interstate after it began building it some 30 years ago.

• 2 months later...

A few years ago I had heard that an interstate I-22 was going to be constructed I believe from Atlanta to Memphis, does anyone in Alabama know anything about this project, I live in Memphis and haven't heard anything about this in quite a while here, only enough to tell me that it would follow US Hwy 78 through northeastern Mississippi into B'ham.

Any help would be appreciated.

Construction continues on I-22. I-22 will connect Memphis and Birmingham. To get from Memphis to Atlanta, you'd take I-22 from Memphis to Birmingham and then get on I-20 in Birmingham to go east to Atlanta.

Construction has been going for years and years. All the financing is in place, so it's only a matter of time. I-22 will be opened in the Fall of 2006 from the Alabama state line to Graysville (a northwest suburb of Birmingham).

The final segment that will connect I-22 with I-65 isnt expected to be completed until around 2010 or possibly later. That interchange will be the most costly in state history. The interchange will incorporate I-22, I-65, and US-31 and will have up to 14 bridges.

Construction continues on I-22. I-22 will connect Memphis and Birmingham. To get from Memphis to Atlanta, you'd take I-22 from Memphis to Birmingham and then get on I-20 in Birmingham to go east to Atlanta.

Construction has been going for years and years. All the financing is in place, so it's only a matter of time. I-22 will be opened in the Fall of 2006 from the Alabama state line to Graysville (a northwest suburb of Birmingham).

The final segment that will connect I-22 with I-65 isnt expected to be completed until around 2010 or possibly later. That interchange will be the most costly in state history. The interchange will incorporate I-22, I-65, and US-31 and will have up to 14 bridges.

Corrected, but I am sure that you are wondering about the Memphis side. Unfortunatly it will not see Tennessee soil from what all that I have seen about it. I would rather see it go up Lamar Ave., thank of it as clean up, but here is a map I found on future Memphis Interstates

Memphis-2030.jpg.

As that map shows, I-22 will probably follow the proposed Memphis Outer Loop to terminate at I-55 near Hernando, MS.

I-22 will be opened in the Fall of 2006 from the Alabama state line to Graysville (a northwest suburb of Birmingham).

Actually, an updated ETA for that segment is going to be 2008 beacuse the paving along that segment is falling behind.

Corrected, but I am sure that you are wondering about the Memphis side. Unfortunatly it will not see Tennessee soil from what all that I have seen about it. I would rather see it go up Lamar Ave., thank of it as clean up, but here is a map I found on future Memphis Interstates

Memphis-2030.jpg.

Where did you get this map of the future interstate system in Memphis?

As that map shows, I-22 will probably follow the proposed Memphis Outer Loop to terminate at I-55 near Hernando, MS.

Actually, an updated ETA for that segment is going to be 2008 beacuse the paving along that segment is falling behind.

Unfortunately that is correct. I was hoping to see it ran up to at least I-240 if not overlay all of Lamar to downtown. Only from what I've heard not from what I seen, that area needs a bulldozer ran through there.

Unfortunately that is correct. I was hoping to see it ran up to at least I-240 if not overlay all of Lamar to downtown. Only from what I've heard not from what I seen, that area needs a bulldozer ran through there.

TDOT and the City of Memphis have plans to widen Lamar from the Miss State Line to I-240, with the addition of only a couple of interchanges (can't remember which intersections were part of the plan, I think Winchester and Shelby Drive were two of them mentioned). No full freeway upgrade is planned for Lamar, unfortunately.

If you look at the Memphis and Shelby County Division of Planning and Development website, notice that there is no mention of Interstate 22 on the list, but there is mention of widening of Lamar Avenue as mentioned above:

Lamar Avenue (U.S. Highway 78)

Raines Road Interchange to the Mississippi State Line: Widen roadway to 6 lanes and construct urban interchanges at Shelby Drive and Holmes Road. Design Hearings were held on May 13, 2003. TDOT has programmed funding for right-of-way acquisition in fiscal year 2006.

Lamar Avenue (US Highway 78)

Getwell Road Interchange to the Raines Road Interchange: Add additional lanes to Lamar Avenue to provide continuous 6 lanes of traffic from Getwell Road to Mississippi State Line. Planning Report has been completed by TDOT and no further action has been scheduled at this time.

My question is that if TDOT is going to spend the money to acquire ROW to widen Lamar Avenue, why don't they go ahead and acquire enough to upgrade it to a freeway? It just seems like TDOT is not interested in pursuing an upgraded Lamar Avenue as an option.

I don't remember; the one I found did not so the Memphis to Huntsville to Atlanta freeway, so I painted that one on their.

The map looks like it came from this website.

My question is that if TDOT is going to spend the money to acquire ROW to widen Lamar Avenue, why don't they go ahead and acquire enough to upgrade it to a freeway? It just seems like TDOT is not interested in pursuing an upgraded Lamar Avenue as an option.

The map looks like it came from this website.

I agree; knowing the size of Memphis I would hate to drive around their, because all they have to relie on is secondary highway inside the I-240 loop. I would like to see Lamar part of I-22 and somehow tie Sam Cooper into I-22, and that would comeplete I-40 through town.

• 2 weeks later...

That's the site, but I did add the Memphis to Huntsville to Atlanta proposed freeway in their. I also changed how I-69 is coming into town north of town because everything that I have read indicate that I -69 will be west of US-51 rather then to the east, but their are several proposals for I-69 in that area.

What was the number you associated with Memphis-Huntsville? I can't read it. I think it's US 72/Poplar. I noticed you had it interstate grade up until 240. I think it's less likely than 22 to be interstate up to 240.

What are possibilities on the west side? I remember there were reports that TDOT is interested in adding two bridges. At least one of them (toward the north) would likely be associated with 269. And then there would be one south of downtown. I also remember that Jonesboro was getting a through spur of 55 (i.e. I355 or I555). But still, it looks like there would be a huge bottleneck crossing the river and especially where 40 and 55 merge. I'd also like to see some kind of upgrade that hooks up with, say, KC or something.

What was the number you associated with Memphis-Huntsville? I can't read it.

I think it's a question mark. But it looks like the interstate (if it ever becomes one) will be signed I-30, or I-38 according to this guys website (I doubt the accuracy of this website, but it's pretty interesting how he thinks that Huntsville's Northern Bypass will be signed I-665 :P )

What was the number you associated with Memphis-Huntsville? I can't read it. I think it's US 72/Poplar. I noticed you had it interstate grade up until 240. I think it's less likely than 22 to be interstate up to 240.

It may be I-28 if it's ever built; the reason it may not be I-30 is because of two reasons:

1. A proposal takes I-30 through the entire state of Tennessee along I-40, then down I-26 to the US 74 freeway near Charlotte; doubt that will happen, but it's one of those political moves from a NC senator

2. I-30 may be extended northeast of Little Rock along US 67 to Poplar Bluff, MO to join I-57 and I-55. This has the greatest chance of happening, despite Missouri wanting this extention to be for I-57 instead of I-30.

What are possibilities on the west side? I remember there were reports that TDOT is interested in adding two bridges. At least one of them (toward the north) would likely be associated with 269. And then there would be one south of downtown. I also remember that Jonesboro was getting a through spur of 55 (i.e. I355 or I555). But still, it looks like there would be a huge bottleneck crossing the river and especially where 40 and 55 merge. I'd also like to see some kind of upgrade that hooks up with, say, KC or something.

I think there has been some talk of a bridge just to the south of the current I-55 bridge that would go through President's Island. I also think there has been discussions for a bridge from Mississippi to Arkansas that would be built west of where I-669/MS 304 will end at US 61.

The Jonesboro spur will be I-555. AHTD also wishes to build another spur from Jonesboro westward to the US 67/Future I-30/I-57 mentioned above and call that I-755.

I think a link with Kansas City from Memphis looks very logical on the map, and I am sure the traffic demand would come if such a link was built. I am not sure how heavily travelled US 63 northwest of Jonesboro is travelled, but AHTD is widening it in places, especially as bypasses for small towns along the way. I could imagine sometime in the future a push for an interstate between Kansas City and Memphis.

I think it's a question mark. But it looks like the interstate (if it ever becomes one) will be signed I-30, or I-38 according to this guys website (I doubt the accuracy of this website, but it's pretty interesting how he thinks that Huntsville's Northern Bypass will be signed I-665 :P )

A lot of the stuff on that website is old; I think the last that was updated was in 1999.

The Huntsville Loop probably won't ever become an interstate. The service road/slip ramp method that is being used for the majority of the road means that it probably won't be constructed to meet interstate requirements. Besides, I may be dead before the main lanes are built all the way around to US 231/US 431.

2. I-30 may be extended northeast of Little Rock along US 67 to Poplar Bluff, MO to join I-57 and I-55. This has the greatest chance of happening, despite Missouri wanting this extention to be for I-57 instead of I-30.

I think there has been some talk of a bridge just to the south of the current I-55 bridge that would go through President's Island. I also think there has been discussions for a bridge from Mississippi to Arkansas that would be built west of where I-669/MS 304 will end at US 61.

Who's doing the talking of the Pres Island bridge? I've seen that as a suggestion from this site (Memphis forum), but haven't seen anything that's indicated that actual power brokers were also pursuing that option.

• 3 weeks later...

The Huntsville Loop probably won't ever become an interstate. The service road/slip ramp method that is being used for the majority of the road means that it probably won't be constructed to meet interstate requirements. Besides, I may be dead before the main lanes are built all the way around to US 231/US 431.

I don't understand the need to build the limited access portion of that road. Why don't they just use the what will be the service road, get rid of the street curbs and put some paved shoulders in their place, build overpasses over SR-53 and the other two roads that intersect Rideout (or Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. is what they named the extension) through there. If that was to be done you would have probably four overpasses for that stretch, and that would be much cheaper then building the new limited access road (between what is almost a limited access road already) portion for the whole duration.

• 10 months later...

Archived