Summerville neighborhood, Augusta Ga.

socaguy

Well, i took another whirlwind trip to Augusta today and decided to take some shots around the historic neighborhood of Summerville, otherwise known as "The Hill" since the neighborhood sits on one of the highes spots in the city. Unfortunately, I didnt realize i didnt have much space left on my card so I didnt get to get at least HALF the pictures i wanted to take, like of some of the beautiful old churches and houses on Walton Way, etc...

Note.. The shops along Monte Sano are currently under renovation. Id imagine when this is finished it will be a really cute little area, (actually already is).

Hope you like.

CentralboulevardlecafeSmall.jpg

AntiquestoreonMonteSanoSmall.jpg

moreShopsonMonteSanoSmall.jpg

MonteSanoAvenueshopsunderrenovation.jpg

MonteSanoAvenueSmall.jpg

MonteSanoandCentral3Small.jpg

MonteSanoandCentral2Small.jpg

MonteSanoandCentralSmall.jpg

House4Small.jpg

House3Small.jpg

House2Small.jpg

46749e46.jpg

631ef326.jpg

69fbc848.jpg

06c80fc4.jpg

98b03785.jpg

1fc1eac8.jpg

b94bc564.jpg

SomeApartmentsonWaltonWaySmall.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks!

Actually ASU has added a few new buildings and an amazing front entrance (of course I didnt have enough space on my card so i couldnt get any more shots). I think they are going to add one more building and the campus should be finished for a while. One other cool thing on campus was a giant installation piece done in what looked like Wisteria vines.

Thanks!

Actually ASU has added a few new buildings and an amazing front entrance (of course I didnt have enough space on my card so i couldnt get any more shots). I think they are going to add one more building and the campus should be finished for a while. One other cool thing on campus was a giant installation piece done in what looked like Wisteria vines.

Those vines must look great. You could probably make a thread out of a visit to the campus sometime!

How many people attend ASU?

So it's still pretty small, then.

BTW: Welcome to the forum, PJA!

Have you Introduced Yourself yet?

Thanks!

McDowell Street from the National Hills neighborhood down to Heard Ave. is also a nice drive, I love the barrel tile roofs. That fire station in the picture is now a museum by the way. Also, ASU is building student housing in West Augusta off of Wrightsboro road.

The ASU dorms actually opened this past fall semester. They're nice too.

Yeah it's a shame that you ran out of memory :( . I actually like the Henry Street area too in front of AUG state, since they have wide medians with lush landscaping, that would be a good set of pics to take too. Johns Road and Milledge Raod have some nice mansion style homes that could be nice to show too. anywayz, great show, I drive thru this area everytime I go back home, nice to see.

Pillsbury small world. I used to live on Heath Street, within a stones throw from the ASU campus, went to St. Marys and Aquinas and later graduated from ASU, most of these areas are my old stomping grounds so i love showing them off. Yes, there are so many cool areas of Summerville. From the bungalows around Partidge Inn to the stucco houses of Lower Central avenue, to the Mansions of Walton way and Milledge Rd. to the brick streets of the Lake Forest area (not actually Summerville but a close neighborhood.)

Socaguy, it is a small world especially considering I too graduated from ASU and also attend St. Mary's. I agree with you totally. I love that area around Heath Street and down near Richmond Academy---those are some of the coolest houses in Augusta. And it is fun showing off the mansions and churches to friends from out of town. I've yet to see anyone not impressed. Buckley, I think the Summerville Grille is closed, although all of the tables are still on the patio and it looks like they're doing work on the inside, so maybe it will re-open someday. It seems as though it would be a great place to have a coffee house or restaurant---but then again, I never thought Squeaky's Tip Top across the street would close, but sadly I haven't seen it open in the past few months.

LOL, hopefully they will move it over to the Augusta forum. Wow...I cant believe Squeaky's is closed. That place was like an institution for years for ASU students. I guess they just couldnt compete with all the bars and clubs downtown.

Pillsbury, how old are you? Wouldnt it be strange if we went to school together!!

Socaguy, I'm 26 and graduated from ASU I guess about 2 years ago with a History degree. It is kind of a small school so I bet we did have some classes together. I grew up on the southside--my high school used to play the Aquinas golf team all the time (we usually lost). It is sad about Squeaky's--the vibe really did move back downtown, but it's been around for something like 60 years, so hopefully it'll stick around for a little while longer.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived