Mith, your idea may not be a "myth"

KJW

Mith,

Somewhere a few months back you wondered if Joplin and NWA might grow together. While I'm not sure it will happen completely (and I know the mountains form a natural barrier for at least 7-10 miles between the NWA and Fort Smith metro areas) I've noticed something along I-540.

At the Arkansas 102 (Bentonville-Eureka Springs exit) there's a billboard for Missouri Southern University in Joplin. About 1-2 miles north, there's a billboard (both of them facing northbound traffic) for the University of Arkansas-Fort Smith. I know for a fact a manager from Neosho, MO (part of Joplin, immediately above McDonald County, MO, the latter in the NWA metro area) from my former company was taking courses in industrial engineering from UAFS.

This area continues to amaze me...

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mith,

Somewhere a few months back you wondered if Joplin and NWA might grow together. While I'm not sure it will happen completely (and I know the mountains form a natural barrier for at least 7-10 miles between the NWA and Fort Smith metro areas) I've noticed something along I-540.

At the Arkansas 102 (Bentonville-Eureka Springs exit) there's a billboard for Missouri Southern University in Joplin. About 1-2 miles north, there's a billboard (both of them facing northbound traffic) for the University of Arkansas-Fort Smith. I know for a fact a manager from Neosho, MO (part of Joplin, immediately above McDonald County, MO, the latter in the NWA metro area) from my former company was taking courses in industrial engineering from UAFS.

This area continues to amaze me...

Hey KJW I was afraid we'd lost you. :D Nice to have you back. By the way you may want to look at the subforum topic and give us your opinion and what you think we should do. But back to the subject, if it wasn't for the rugged Boston Mtns I wouldn't be surprised at all at Ft Smith slowly growing into the metro.

• 1 year later...

I thought we had a separate thread somewhere about the Neosho to NWA ad campaign but couldn't find it. (Moderators, if we do, please put this there), but...

- Saw my first Neosho TV spot yesterday.

We'd talked about how there were some unprecedented things going on in this metro, mainly in the media.

This is one of them.

These spots are essentially saying "Escape the big city (NWA)...go to Neosho". Our discussion as to what the NWA area is goes on, but what's so wild is that Neosho is essentially part of the Joplin metro area. If you've ever driven east to west or vice versa on I-44 south of Joplin, and you see the main turnoffs (Range Line Rd., where the Olive Garden and the Hammons Hotel is, plus the other turnoff that leads you into downtown Joplin), those are both in Newton County, of which Neosho is the county seat. There are a lot of residents in both the Joplin city and Newton County limits, though they're not the majority of the former.

Indeed, there is some significant "green space" between the city limits of Joplin and Neosho, but I wonder how often a city in one metro area has advertised itself as a "smaller-town" getaway to residents in an adjoining metro area.

- This is an interesting day in the NWA urban planet. The paper says Daisy manufacturing is relocating is operations back to Rogers from Neosho. (Doubt this pleases those who originated the aforementioned TV spots much.)

I thought we had a separate thread somewhere about the Neosho to NWA ad campaign but couldn't find it. (Moderators, if we do, please put this there), but...

- Saw my first Neosho TV spot yesterday.

We'd talked about how there were some unprecedented things going on in this metro, mainly in the media.

This is one of them.

These spots are essentially saying "Escape the big city (NWA)...go to Neosho". Our discussion as to what the NWA area is goes on, but what's so wild is that Neosho is essentially part of the Joplin metro area. If you've ever driven east to west or vice versa on I-44 south of Joplin, and you see the main turnoffs (Range Line Rd., where the Olive Garden and the Hammons Hotel is, plus the other turnoff that leads you into downtown Joplin), those are both in Newton County, of which Neosho is the county seat. There are a lot of residents in both the Joplin city and Newton County limits, though they're not the majority of the former.

Indeed, there is some significant "green space" between the city limits of Joplin and Neosho, but I wonder how often a city in one metro area has advertised itself as a "smaller-town" getaway to residents in an adjoining metro area.

- This is an interesting day in the NWA urban planet. The paper says Daisy manufacturing is relocating is operations back to Rogers from Neosho. (Doubt this pleases those who originated the aforementioned TV spots much.)

Archived