AEO and International Center on the southshore . . . northshore adding too.

PghUSA

Ok just realized something, I'm meaning the Northshore of the MON. The north end of Hot Metal and Birmingham bridges ;).

http://pittsburgh.bizjournals.com/pittsbur.../14/story5.html

Two development groups and the URA are planning some extensive building booms on the doorstep to Pitt and CMU and within view of all the activity happening in the Southside Works and adjacent properties. My only wish is that they PLEASE waive that stupid (ok my opinion) height restriction and allow some of these office and lab towers to be unique (there are some great buildings in the near mon valley but lately they are appearing like a glass and steel hedge or fence) some variety in height and roof styles would be a great addition to that area. Just my two cents interested in hearing yours.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True, G, the price of progress one might say . . . I hope they realize that what they will be replacing that view with should accent and add to the beauty of the area, the buildings in the tech park are pretty nice but very uncreative if you ask me. Some nice signature TOWERS that spire up might just do the trick. A nice little park in there too wouldn't be a bad touch, we shouldn't let it urbanize all that much ;).

Yeah, I really want them to make it more open to the public. There is a nice path and a small volleyball court along the river side of the existing development. But I am not sure the general public is aware of it or has decent access to it.

I think the expansion of the development may include some restaurants and/or shops, so that is a bright sign that there will be more for the general public. I just hope there is a nice little park or something in the mix.

the new URA master plan (alluded to in the article) aims to make the complex much more urban-given that it looks like a suburban office park right now. I don't know what that means in terms of heigh, but it will def. mean more density. I think the site is a great link to continue the amazingly low office vacancy in Oakland towards the cbd. It would be really cool if the T connected the two (and maybe south side works too), but we all know how much a pipe dream that is. :cry:

bottom line, the prosperity of the south side and Oakland is finally starting to spread out

Maybe that isn't a much of a pipe dream as we think. After all, that lovely new T station at First Ave. is well situated for expansion toward Oakland and the Pgh Tech Center. Maybe they had that in mind when they built it? I am sure an such project is years in the future, but perhaps it is something being considered.

That is a great point Tooluther, I have always wished that the CBD and the University district would kind of bridge evenutally and revitalize "uptown" and the "bluff". Land is so cheap there right now. I do know that Duquesne University is developing some land north of Forbes (or was it Fifth) into a lowrise commercial property so thats a start.

Land in the Bluff is actualy not as cheap as everyone thinks anymore. Speculators are holding on to alot of the property because alot of people think Duquesne and Magee are going to start expanding even more than they are now.

That being said, I do think Duqusne has some big plans over there. I could imagine them setting up a bunch of research space close by since they are not part of the technology park. They may still also move forward with starting up a medical school.

By all logical thinking, the Bluff and the Hill District should be in much better shape then they are now. Being so close to downtown, something is bound to happen in the not to distant future.

So, I just realized this is all very off topic so I'll wait till someone starts up a thread about how the Hill District should be redeveloped :whistling:

Archived