Research Triangle Park (RTP) & the Triangle Biotech Cluster

DanRNC

There is actually another thread "Triangle May Get Another Huge Biotech Company" that has been following these developments. The wages will most likely vary as this will be a research facility as well as production facility. I would imagine that most these jobs will be skilled and wages will not be low. I don't know about the union issue.

Science magazine had a blurb on areas with the highest percentage of scientists (percentage of total workforce) and Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill came in with 8.9% behind San Jose (12%) and Washington, DC/MD/Va (9.4%) in large metros. Seattle/Bellvue/Everett, WA came in at 8.3%.

• 1 month later...

Another interesting story about an old tobacco building in Oxford being converted to a biotech facility by a private investor. By itself, its not that fantastic but there has been rumor that a 4-year college has been scoping out downtown Oxford for a site for the campus-this makes this much more interesting. Details to follow.

Story

• 1 month later...

Their was and article in the News and Observer yesterday about Jacksonville,FL getting a Fidelity Customer service center that will employee like 1,200 people, was this the same project that RTP was being looked at for? :huh:

Edited by RALBOI

Their was and article in the News and Observer yesterday about Jacksonville,FL getting a Fidelity Customer service center that will employee like 1,200 people, was this the same project that RTP was being looked at for?

Nope-this one in Florida is a "call center". My brother who works in the financial services sector mentioned the RTP Fidelity project yesterday and he's out in Denver.

Edited by DanRNC

Yea, my brother was saying that a lot of these companies are moving/will move major operations out of the large urban centers due to high real estate prices and costs of living.

A little off topic but the south is gaining a lot of good paying jobs as companies up north move down here. Lillian Vernon headquartered in NY is moving their corporate headquarters to Va Beach.

FIdelity already has 900 employees in the RTP. They took over the administration of the IBM pension plan so they boosted their staff for that project. So if they bring another 5000 then they were would be about 6000 employees and would be the second largest employer in the RTP and top five private employer in the Triangle. BIG BIG NEWS for the Triangle from the article in the Boston Herald. Found it here. ( link posted above also)

http://business.bostonherald.com/businessN...rticleid=144725.

Personally, I would love to see Fiedlity move downtown, but it doesn't appear in the cards at this time. Even if they opt for RTP, I would still be pleased. Landing a major company like this would be huge. A relocation of a company like this can only help efforts to attract other companies here to the Triangle, some of which may choose downtown for their site.