Research Triangle Park (RTP) & the Triangle Biotech Cluster

DanRNC

I didn't realize no one posted this, but EDS, not CSC, won the contract a few weeks ago. Most demolition work stopped the next day. The construction trailer was towed a week ago and there are now "no tresspassing" signs posted at the Alexander Drive entrance.

Fidelity may have bought the land as an investment, but who knows. They are squatting in excess space on the Nortel campus while their data center is being built.

Another CRO (contract research orginization) is expanding.

Story

The latest article update indicates that the company is scouting sites in Wake Co. for it's new headquaters building. If only they would consider building a tower in DT Raleigh, or better yet, talk to the Reynolds about securing office space in their planned tower. Maybe that could push their tower above 30 or 40 stories.

Quintiles will add another 1000 people, INC will add another 1000 people, and SRA will bring another 500 people for CRO work within the next 2-5 years. I have heard there were a couple more CROs looking at this area as well. Constella will grow as it has recently merged with another company.

WRAL story.

This is really something... Quintiles, INC, etc. The Triangle really is turning into a biotech hub.

You forgot PRA which recently announced they are moving from Virginia to Raleigh; however, what makes each of the above mentioned companies special is the fact that not only do biotech companies rely on them, pharmaceutical companies also rely on them for outsourced clinical trials.

Are these RTP based companies? The article notes that INC will be remodeling 2 floors of their 6 story bldg. I'm guess this hq isn't in the park.

The reason I mention this is that by adding so many jobs in the Park (where nobody lives) the major drawback of this would be the added congestion. Not that I am opposed to jobs in the biotech industry, I'd just like a better idea of the QOL costs of more commuters heading from North Raleigh and Cary to the park. Alone. In their cars.

INC Research is located up on Falls of Neuse Rd. a couple of miles outside the Beltline. They occupy parts of two Buildings there.

Here is an older N&O story about the building http://www.newsobserver.com/281/story/653764.html

Not that I am opposed to jobs in the biotech industry, I'd just like a better idea of the QOL costs of more commuters heading from North Raleigh and Cary to the park. Alone. In their cars.

I think their bldg is up at Falls and Millbrook, or very close to there. Captain brings up a good point about the dbl-edged sword of adding suburban jobs. I think it's still obviously good, as some of those people may want to live in one of the downtowns, Raleigh or Durham. Eventually, we've got to have transit connecting the DTs to RTP... even if people have to get on a short shuttle to their work in RTP, at least some percentage of people will choose that option. I'm more mixed-use comunities will pop up near the park as well, such as Triangle Metro Center/Davis Park.

I think their bldg is up at Falls and Millbrook, or very close to there. Captain brings up a good point about the dbl-edged sword of adding suburban jobs. I think it's still obviously good, as some of those people may want to live in one of the downtowns, Raleigh or Durham. Eventually, we've got to have transit connecting the DTs to RTP... even if people have to get on a short shuttle to their work in RTP, at least some percentage of people will choose that option. I'm more mixed-use comunities will pop up near the park as well, such as Triangle Metro Center/Davis Park.

Totally agree with the RTP jobs... That is why I think Morrisville should look into building 10-15 story bldgs with central park/courtyard area for kids to run around in. They could really capitalize on their location and not be like everyone else in Wake County.

Edited by Cary NC

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Becton-Dickinson (BD) is scouting the area for a new $100 million facility. Sites in Durham, Clayton, Wilson, and Sanford are being considered. BD already has ops in RTP and Durham. One company that will most likely never see around here is Genentech. I spent 3 days with the Senior VP of Research Drug Discovery and he said the company will most likely never expand outside of the Bay area unless they decide to add international facilities. Too bad as they are probably one of the better pharma companies out there-he said this past year the company spent $2 billion on research.

• 3 weeks later...

Becton-Dickinson (BD) is scouting the area for a new $100 million facility. Sites in Durham, Clayton, Wilson, and Sanford are being considered. BD already has ops in RTP and Durham. One company that will most likely never see around here is Genentech. I spent 3 days with the Senior VP of Research Drug Discovery and he said the company will most likely never expand outside of the Bay area unless they decide to add international facilities. Too bad as they are probably one of the better pharma companies out there-he said this past year the company spent $2 billion on research.

Back in 1986, I took a easy education class to fill in hours in one of my last semesters in undergrad as I was a business major. I had to give a presentation and I did it on stock market and international marketing. I told the class they should buy Genentech stock as they will be one of the market leaders in the future. That was 21 years ago.

I wish I had followed my own advice.

• 1 month later...

Is Fidelity still building an office down in the RTP? Anybody have any news on it. They were suppose to bring 2000 jobs to the area.

I don't recall if they announced a firm date for when they would have their RTP campus operational, but they definitely have been actively recruiting for those 2000 positions.