Research Triangle Park (RTP) & the Triangle Biotech Cluster

DanRNC

These facilities will be more than tech operations and will include investment positions. One reason for setting up ops down here is the availability of b-school folks (both undergrad/graduate), low cost of operations, and lower salary ranges.

I would imagine you will see more such companies moving here.

From my understanding/reading the Credit Suisse complex will include Credit Suisse Private Advisors, and Asset Managers. :D

Not to sure about Fidelity though?

That is good to have other jobs.

I am in the "shooting gallery" of some of the invisable stuff behind the scenes of the ops of banks and with these data centers....... and banks around the world buy a lot of "Big Iron" to run the operations. It is big business.

• 3 weeks later...

This story was in a locked topic but thought it may belong here. RTP (the region) has become the #1 tech hub in the U.S. based on key factors such as affordability, quality of education, etc. One factor that needs to be addressed is the ongoing transportation issues. While RTP may never reach the amount of investment $$$ in Silicon Valley its still impressive.

Story

Companies located in the RTP are required to keep their campuses separate, and obscured from the road. Many the sprawly aspects of the park's setup are furthered by its management. This isn't just within the park boundaries of course. It affects campuses nearby in Morrisville and Durham.

Companies located in the RTP are required to keep their campuses separate, and obscured from the road. Many the sprawly aspects of the park's setup are furthered by its management. This isn't just within the park boundaries of course. It affects campuses nearby in Morrisville and Durham.

I agree completely. We shouldn't be striving to be Silicon Valley. It was a nice model that served it's time...we should be looking past Silicon Valley as an example. I think the Fidelity, CSFB and AICPA announcements are a positive step in diversifying the park. It currently consists (majority) of support and manufacturing operations. Manufacturing has been phased out as more companies have been contracting out to Solectron and others who have taken the operations to lower wage countries. The same is happening for a lot of the Global Support ops.

Davis Park, Triangle Metro Center and Keystone Park(?) are also steps in the right direction. Now we just need a committment from RTF to develop the Davis/Hopson/54 Corridors. The Sheraton Office Park (name?) on Page Rd. has put alot of the buildings closer to Page than is normal (which is a start). Brier Creek and other new developments along Page Rd/70 (suburbs of RTP) are also key to cutting traffic on 40.

A comprehensive fully-funded multi-modal transit and road system would also differentiate us from Silicon Valley. Companies like Flex-Car are intriguing to me. The Valley is like going from Raleigh to Burlington...if we attract that many companies, I would want them in urban districts accessible to multiple modes of transportation and housing opportunities available to most of the workers.

These three things could lead to RTP being better than Silicon Valley:

1) Diverse businesses

2) Centrally-located Housing options

3) Free-flowing transportation options

having lived in both san francisco and growing up in cary, i can say firsthand, the triangle will never surpass silicon valley in terms of tech business, you should really take a tour of the valley to get a scope of just how much of the computer world is headquartered there. While the triangle is like a east coast silicon valley, sillicon valley could never be outdone, at least by no place in the u.s.

It's kind of like how Yadkin Valley will never surpass Napa Valley.

Who'd have thought technology and wine would fit in this tightly-crafted analogy so well? :thumbsup:

another big aspect, perhaps the biggest aspect of the triangle vs. silicon valley discussion is the culture of the two areas, the attributes of both areas are one of a kind, but what sillicon valley has that has made it what it is, is a unique culture that breeds those ultra creative bay area types, which in turn translates into ideas, and those ideas turn into companies. Maybe its the california herb that makes this happen :P , but the whole bay area is like an incubator for this kind of thing. Its kinda hard for me to put into words, its something you just have to see first hand.

It's kind of like how Yadkin Valley will never surpass Napa Valley.

Who'd have thought technology and wine would fit in this tightly-crafted analogy so well? thumbsup.gif

Actually not a very good analogy as no one in the wine industry even considers NC a major player in this industry. After doing the NC "wine country" tour I found it laughable and the wine mediocre at best.

This is way off subject, but I actually like a lot of the wine produced in NC. There is a lot of bad mass produced wine coming out of California and unfortunately people tend to get used to that kind of wine. Many of the winerys in NC produce heirloom wines which many are not familar with, but are there waiting to be discovered. I encourage everyone to go to the smaller wineries in NC to see what they have to offer. My favorite is the Waldensian Winery in Valdese.

Incase ya'll didn't know, last time I checked. Research Triangle was the largest research park in the U.S. and on earth. Followed by the Cummings Research Park in Huntsville, AL, which is also the 4th largest on earth.

I don't doubt that but can not be compared to Silicon Valley (if that was the case) which is not an office park, it is an entire area. See my previous post on this same subject line in Sept/05.

I think what is driving RTP on these lists are that the BIO and Pharma business are coming to the Triangle in droves and the cost of living hurts SV in these listings.

I agree totally with the poster from Chile. The feeling of entrepreneurship in SV/Bay area is incredible. Nothing like it. Plus past money invests in the new money. I do think you do see some of this in the BIO/Pharma new business here in the Triangle but that does not get play like a new life-changing internet site or a product that you buy with the company name on it. Give it time.

RTP and surrounding areas benefit is that it offers good educated workforce and RTP is in the center of it. (Why locate in Raleigh when you could shut out Durham and CH workforce and vis-a-versa.) A company can get a lot of land and have spread out labs and test centers at a low cost. The airport is just exits away. And people are willing to move and relocate here.

Nice for the area to get the PR

RTP may in fact be the largest research park in the world at 7000 acres but it is the RT region (11 counties) that is being considered. No doubt that SV has a super high volume of intellectual capital but the Triangle holds its own. I personally see this area as up and coming.

• 1 month later...