Research Triangle Park (RTP) & the Triangle Biotech Cluster

DanRNC

With this addition NetApp will maintain approximately 20% of its workforce in RTP. Hopefully this will spur even future growth for this company here. Also with their 100 acre purchase I wonder how much land remains in RTP for development.

It looks as if Shire will in fact locate a facility here-an announcement should come as early as mid-May. I have no idea of exact location or employment numbers akthough it could be as high as 500 new hires.

I totally agree. One of their execs will be speaking at CED's Biotech 2007 conference. This is a good sign that they are trying to make inroads into the local Biotech community.

Biotech 2007

not to shoot holes in the average salary, but the average of a 910,000 dollar salary and 9 10,000 dollar salaries is 100,000....

or 850,000 plus thos 9 at 10,000 each gets to the 94,000 quoted.

Edited by Jones133

not to shoot holes in teh average salary, but the average of a 910,000 dollar salary and 9 10,000 dollar salaries is 100,000

Indeed. Mean says nothing except that the executives get to snort much higher quality cocaine off of much more attractive prostitutes' asses than your average business owner.

Median is a much more useful statistic for practically everything involving money.

Indeed. Mean says nothing except that the executives get to snort much higher quality cocaine off of much more attractive prostitutes' asses than your average business owner.

Median is a much more useful statistic for practically everything involving money.

Median in this case being 10,000

not to shoot holes in teh average salary, but the average of a 910,000 dollar salary and 9 10,000 dollar salaries is 100,000

That is the case when you have just a few people employed. This is not an HQ where high level execs sit. It is an engineering base with labs and feet on the ground.......other wise ...brainpower and innovation Spread out over the proposed number of employees and it is not as bad as your statement. Actually, not bad at all.

Having NetApp in your backyard is having the future technology innovators there. It is like having Cisco in the 1980s coming into your area and saying, we want to do engineering here. Cisco only chose certain areas to do development and there is no way to understand the benefits from what has spun off of those original sites.

I might have missed it earlier, but does anyone know what business bought the land on Alexander near the post office and TTA offices?

I work down the road from there and went by the other day and noticed they were clearing out a decent sized parcel just southwest of the Alexander/Cornwallis intersection. They were surveying about a month ago and the tree cutters and land movers appear to have been there for a week or two now. Is this NetApp's location? Someone else?

As Cisco helped stabalize the area when Nortel did their layoffs, I think a lot of people smarter than me realize that keeping NA (and a lesser extent Cree) happy and in the area is a good idea with the recent layoffs.

That is the case when you have just a few people employed. This is not an HQ where high level execs sit. It is an engineering base with labs and feet on the ground.......other wise ...brainpower and innovation Spread out over the proposed number of employees and it is not as bad as your statement. Actually, not bad at all.

Having NetApp in your backyard is having the future technology innovators there. It is like having Cisco in the 1980s coming into your area and saying, we want to do engineering here. Cisco only chose certain areas to do development and there is no way to understand the benefits from what has spun off of those original sites.

agreed, I used an extreme example....reality probably looks more like this over ten employees

management, upper mid level 250,000

management, direct supervision 150,000

team leader/head scientist/head engineer 110,000

4 rank and file scientsts/engineers 75,000 each

2 interns/entry level sceintists/engineers 45,000 each

administrative support 40,000

average=94,000, median = 75,000...this will be the case every time

Officials will be in the Triangle on Wednesday to tour the potential site for the federal bio-ag facility. The NC consortium includes UNC, Duke, NCSU, Wake Forest, NCCU, and ECU plus 14 companies and governmental agencies. The site is in Butner just north of Raleigh.

Story

Some more on the CIITproject. As mentioned earlier they are in the process of raising $100 million (long range $500 million) for a major expansion to 1 million sq. ft of lab/office space. This will include a translational medicine institute, CIIT, and a biotech biotech incubator. It seems as if CIIT will have an official name change (to the former head of NC Biotech Center) and have a very strong affiliation with the NC Biotech Center. I know this group does good work and has attracted some of the best researchers in the world over the last couple of years. Their seminar series is amazing. The scope of the institute seems to be broadening and as the flagship research unit of NCBC/RTP.

More on this

Another story

N&O Story

Edited by DanRNC