Ocean View Development

willy

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that is amazing how much OV will be changing. I was actually suprised that they were talking about that area in a positve way for a change. Looks like the city will be getting another urban beach area with a cool waterfront skyline for Norfolk. If they do some great urban planning and make developers spend some money on good designs, this could turn into a great area again.

Vdogg, I can scan the whole OV article from the Pilot with no problem but I am not sure about posting since whole postings are not allowed. There is no way to list a link although I could list the source. Would I need to cut and paste parts of the article or how would this need to be?

Vdogg, I can scan the whole OV article from the Pilot with no problem but I am not sure about posting since whole postings are not allowed. There is no way to list a link although I could list the source. Would I need to cut and paste parts of the article or how would this need to be?

To answer your question, yes scanning and posting the full article would be a violation of copyright. Not to worry though since the article is online now. :) As for the news, holy cow! An oceanview skyline? I never even imagined it to be honest with you but this is great news. Pretty soon Norfolk will have more highrises than I can keep track of. :shades:

But larger and taller condominium projects are coming, and with them, more traffic and more demands on old roads and utilities.

More than half a dozen developments are in the works that promise to remake three key entry points into Ocean View

Can you guys imagine what this is gonna look like. You're gonna go across the HRBT towards Norfolk and see this stretch of 10-25 story highrises in front of you. Talk about a gateway :) This area is really starting to think in terms of a "big city" feel. I love it. :D

I wonder when we will be getting some renderings of some of these projects and I wonder how many mid to high rises are planned now.

I wonder how many mid to high rises are planned now.

According to the article, about 6. I'm really interested to get a height on the condos Buddy is working. Also, i don't believe that the 25 story one has been submitted to the design review committee but I will check. If so I may be able to find at least the preliminary rendering like I did for that project near church street. I also need to work on adding all 6 projects to the projects listing. We have turned a corner here. The last month has seen more announcements of mid to highrise development in HR than I think we've seen in the previous year total. We're starting to enter a D.C. level of development and I am starting to wonder whether our infrastructure will be overwhelmed before we have a chance to take care of some of these transportation issues. That however is a subject for another thread and I will continue my thought there.

Wow... it would be really nice if Ocean View became a resort stop again. It wasn't that long ago OV was a favorite destination along the east coast. I just came back from Myrtle Beach not too long ago, and was thinking... why couldn't Norfolk bring back the Amusement park? Develop condos along OV Blvd? and pump more money into that part of town as a tourist attraction?

Wow... it would be really nice if Ocean View became a resort stop again. It wasn't that long ago OV was a favorite destination along the east coast. I just came back from Myrtle Beach not too long ago, and was thinking... why couldn't Norfolk bring back the Amusement park? Develop condos along OV Blvd? and pump more money into that part of town as a tourist attraction?

I agree and like I have stated way back that OV needs some outdoor dining such as open dining maybe with some sort of boardwalk with some casual clubs and restaurants. This is why Norfolk is pushing the Light Rail project. This will give the feds more reason to give us the money to have it all around

I agree and like I have stated way back that OV needs some outdoor dining such as open dining maybe with some sort of boardwalk with some casual clubs and restaurants. This is why Norfolk is pushing the Light Rail project. This will give the feds more reason to give us the money to have it all around

Hey Russ, you live in OV right? What's the popular opinion out there? With the development of East Beach and the Bay Oaks fiasco, I get the sense that most of OV residents would like to keep all of the views, land, and beaches to themselves? I wonder how these recent plans for the area have been received by the locals.

Hey Russ, you live in OV right? What's the popular opinion out there? With the development of East Beach and the Bay Oaks fiasco, I get the sense that most of OV residents would like to keep all of the views, land, and beaches to themselves? I wonder how these recent plans for the area have been received by the locals.

Actually I live in Bayview. Most people out in Bayview don't care but they do care about seeing their taxes going through the roof. I talked to a Norfolk cop this weekend and he said that almost all of the public housing is going to be bulldozed and that is why you are seeing Vabeach crime going up cause that is where they are going. Most of the people complaining in OV are the ones being pushed out. The people trying to perserve the bay oak park are the ones that have been there for years. Most of the new residents from my understanding don't care about it. I wonder if they are going to build a high rise senior citizen building now with the committee pushing for that.

I wonder if the city is considering some sort of mass transit as they develop the OV corridor. I really hope they are taking this into consideration because retro fitting can sometimes be very expensive or even impossible. I am hoping the rail line they will be implementing will be successful and continuing a line to OV would be ideal as well.

I wonder if the city is considering some sort of mass transit as they develop the OV corridor. I really hope they are taking this into consideration because retro fitting can sometimes be very expensive or even impossible.

I think this was taken in consideration years ago and they are going to use this to help them get LR around the city but with the feds a problem has to exisit and therefore you create one and push for the funding :thumbsup:

Archived