Ocean View Development

willy

This is where Gadams 110 unit condo development will be located (pin thats labelled "Pretty Lake Development", which is surprisingly very close to Copelands development.

Prettylakedevelopment.jpg

Thats right across from the Judy Boone office

But the Boones project isn't in that location I didn't think. :huh:

"The Shoals, a 168-unit condominium and hotel development at the old Harrison

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No vdogg the real estate office is there on the corner of OV blvd. and Chesapeake blvd. Where you are pin pointing the Gadams development is right next or in East beach on the other side of the blue crab

Ok, I got you. You were just talking about the location of their office, not their project. I'm practicing my mapping skills here so bear with me. This can be a powerful tool if I get it right. :lol:

One more try. From the description in the article this will be location of the Shoals (Yes, i'm aware the project will not be in the middle of the intersection, this is just a general location).

Theshoals.jpg

Actually, I think I got Buddy's project in the right location judging from this map.

ovimage.jpg

So we've physically located, and thus eliminated, the Shoals, Buddy's Pretty Lake Project, and Copelands 10 story Condo Tower. That only leaves the 25-story one listed for E. Ocean View. It is either that project or a completely new one that hasn't even been mentioned yet. :unsure::dontknow:

Well in your google image where the 7-11 is, is right where East beach is and I think that buddy's project is mixed in with the East beach project. This might be the 25 story project. This project was never given a location to where they might be building it.

Well, in the planning documents they give the location of buddy's project as between 25th and 27th streets, which is why I put the pin in that location. Copelands project was describe as property that included a stip mall and an exotic dancing establishment, so i placed a pin over top of "Foxie Ladies" :lol: . Both theses projects were given specific locations and the specific developer was named for each as well. If the 25-story were tied in with either of these they probably would have explicitly stated so. The towers location, as well as developer, were left out of that article so It's probably no one that we've heard of yet with regards to any of these projects.

It's interesting though because I don't remember seeing this go through the design review committee yet, perhaps i missed something. I'm gonna have to go through past dockets and see if perhaps something slipped under the radar screen.

Wow... you've been working on this all day Vdogg :blink:

Google Earth is pretty cool. I especially like the 3-D building feature :yahoo:

Well, initially I was going to do this for projects and construction version 2.0. But as the case with norfolk I'm thinking of dividing the Projects and construction thread into several key development areas due to the sheer number of projects. Ocean View Projects and Construction, Downtown Projects and Construction, etc. This will allow me to provide much more focused maps of the surrounding area and where these buildings are in relation to one another (i.e. street maps, landmarks, etc.) It's a work in progress but with guynvb helping me with the other forums I have more time to do it. :)

I have just a quick thought on all of the development planned and under construction on Willoughby Spit. Is it prudent to build so much density on such a small spit of land that was created by a hurricane? Whenever I bring people to the Hampton Roads area and we cross the bridge tunnel they always mention Willoughby spit and how narrow the piece of land looks. They usually go on to say that how can people live on this land with the knowledge that some day a major hurricane could erase it from the face of the earth. I am happy that the city is aggressively developing Willoughby and nearby Ocean View, but whenever the subject of development on Willoughby Spit comes up in the back of my mind I always think of what if a major hurricane were to hit the area and God forbid wipe out Willoughby Spit. Just a random thought.

Looks like Willoughby residents are getting a little concerned about all the OV development. They're bringing in Gindroz to develop a "community" plan. I guess they want to make sure they're not forgotten about while all these projects are going up.

http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story...8500&ran=208336

So the Willoughby NIMBYs come out. I have a dream to have urban development from one end to the other end of the city. I drive through the city and imagine what all I could build on the land out there. I don't understand how people living in the city could really want to keep suburban development mixed in through the city. It makes no sense to me. I think high density developments in Norfolk are very important to the entire area. We are lacking the urban core that is needed for a metro. I see the bayview area one day with row style or townhouses there. Don't know if this will happen but I look and see that you could at least put three of those on every property with one house on them.

The Willoughby NIMBY's have always existed, they've just gotten more vocal as of late now that all these projects are finally coming to fruition. I don't think they're opposing any one current project as of yet. This will have more of an effect on future development.

I have just a quick thought on all of the development planned and under construction on Willoughby Spit. Is it prudent to build so much density on such a small spit of land that was created by a hurricane? Whenever I bring people to the Hampton Roads area and we cross the bridge tunnel they always mention Willoughby spit and how narrow the piece of land looks. They usually go on to say that how can people live on this land with the knowledge that some day a major hurricane could erase it from the face of the earth. I am happy that the city is aggressively developing Willoughby and nearby Ocean View, but whenever the subject of development on Willoughby Spit comes up in the back of my mind I always think of what if a major hurricane were to hit the area and God forbid wipe out Willoughby Spit. Just a random thought.

"Oh Willoughby, Oh Willoughby"

Isn't that a line from "Gone With the Wind?"

So the Willoughby NIMBYs come out. I have a dream to have urban development from one end to the other end of the city. I drive through the city and imagine what all I could build on the land out there. I don't understand how people living in the city could really want to keep suburban development mixed in through the city. It makes no sense to me. I think high density developments in Norfolk are very important to the entire area. We are lacking the urban core that is needed for a metro. I see the bayview area one day with row style or townhouses there. Don't know if this will happen but I look and see that you could at least put three of those on every property with one house on them.

Well some people have lived in those neighborhoods for a long time. To suddenly have these changes which could transform their community in both positive and negative ways, well they have a right to try and stop it even if it doesn't fit in with someone's particular vision of Norfolk. If the region lacks a true central core, it likely is because people want it that way. I don't see the wisdom in saying that all of Norfolk should be an urban core to simply be able to say that one exists. Developments like East Beach demonstrate how a surburban area can be done with care to create something more than just a few blocks of "McMansions". In fact, I would argue that in many respects, what is/was being created there is superior to many other "urban" developments. As for creating a central core, Downtown Norfolk has plenty of room to become an even stronger centre for the area. However, the idea of tearing down entire sections of the city to rebuild more tightly packed housing smacks of arrogance to me. I want to see Norfolk continue to experience the renewed growth it has seen over the last decade, but I would never want to see the city lose its character or its ability to cater to different lifestyle preferences simply so it can claim more residents and skyscrapers.

Well some people have lived in those neighborhoods for a long time. To suddenly have these changes which could transform their community in both positive and negative ways, well they have a right to try and stop it even if it doesn't fit in with someone's particular vision of Norfolk. If the region lacks a true central core, it likely is because people want it that way. I don't see the wisdom in saying that all of Norfolk should be an urban core to simply be able to say that one exists. Developments like East Beach demonstrate how a surburban area can be done with care to create something more than just a few blocks of "McMansions". In fact, I would argue that in many respects, what is/was being created there is superior to many other "urban" developments. As for creating a central core, Downtown Norfolk has plenty of room to become an even stronger centre for the area. However, the idea of tearing down entire sections of the city to rebuild more tightly packed housing smacks of arrogance to me. I want to see Norfolk continue to experience the renewed growth it has seen over the last decade, but I would never want to see the city lose its character or its ability to cater to different lifestyle preferences simply so it can claim more residents and skyscrapers.

Well I'm a Norfolk tax payer, still live in the area, and I want to see it more urban. I've grown up in Norfolk and don't care what others think should happen in my city but you are entitled to your opinion.

Well I'm a Norfolk tax payer, still live in the area, and I want to see it more urban. I've grown up in Norfolk and don't care what others think should happen in my city but you are entitled to your opinion.

You know Russ, I'm getting really tired of that argument that just because I don't live in the area at the moment, I'm not entitled to have a say in what goes on in my home town, or that my opinion is any less "worthy" than your own. I own property in the area (which means I pay local taxes...), most of my family lives in various cities throughout the region, I still vote in federal elections (i.e. I vote for the same congress & president as you), and its my hometown which I plan to return to in the future after graduating.

edit: spelling

add: You also wrote that you couldn't make sense of why people would not want the entire city of Norfolk to be your particular vision of an urban utopia. I simply offered an explanation.

Whew, it's getting a bit rough and tumble in here today. Don't make me separate you two. :rofl:

That's not too fair Rus. Almost half the people who visit this forum don't even live in the area anymore (or even in this country). They still have a vested interest in what goes on here, it doesn't make their opinion any less valid.

Whew, it's getting a bit rough and tumble in here today. Don't make me separate you two. :rofl:

That's not too fair Rus. Almost half the people who visit this forum don't even live in the area anymore (or even in this country). They still have a vested interest in what goes on here, it doesn't make their opinion any less valid.

All I did was state my opinion thats it and said that he is entitled to his. I wasn't attacking him or anything but just get tired of people, not saying he was, trying to stop development through my city.

All I did was state my opinion thats it and said that he is entitled to his. I wasn't attacking him or anything but just get tired of people, not saying he was, trying to stop development through my city.

Rus,

I would suggest taking a less offensive stance when you have a differing opinion. Most of the people on this board live in or have a stake in the success of Norfolk. We may not all agree as to what success may be or the best way to achieve that success. Nonetheless, we are all on the same team and we all love OUR city.

Archived