Ocean View Development

willy

Rus,

I would suggest taking a less offensive stance when you have a differing opinion. Most of the people on this board live in or have a stake in the success of Norfolk. We may not all agree as to what success may be or the best way to achieve that success. Nonetheless, we are all on the same team and we all love OUR city.

I did apologize

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I second Glassoul in his praise for the East Beach development. That is the epitomy of smart growth and proactive city planning accepting new urbanism. To see Ocean View turn into Chicks Beach with its bland condo towers would truly be a shame. They key with Ocean View is obviously to redevelop as there is far too many delapidated, rental properties there. However, there should be a clear vision for the area and developers should be a on short leash to prevent the previously mentioned Chicks Beach syndrome. I am confident in Norfolk though as long as they employ Ray Gindroz.

And as far as Russ suggesting that Ocean View residents move to rural areas because they don't adopt widespread urbanism, perhaps you should consider moving to somewhere more urban; say Manhattan ;)

I don't see anything wrong with this conversation. I find it refreshing that we can acknowledge developments for qualities other than how tall they are.

I have nothing against the conversation itself, but the argument between forumers had become circular and pointless. The discussion became less and less about the subject at hand and more about what a particular forumer said. That is the issue that I was addressing with my comment.

I have nothing against the conversation itself, but the argument between forumers had become circular and pointless. The discussion became less and less about the subject at hand and more about what a particular forumer said. That is the issue that I was addressing with my comment.

I was thinking along those same lines. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I wish we could find more information on that 25 story tower in OV.

I'm guessing that FAA regulations and the Navy would severely limit the likelihood of anything that tall going up in Ocean View, at least at the eastern and western ends, where most of the real estate activity seems to be.

I'm guessing that FAA regulations and the Navy would severely limit the likelihood of anything that tall going up in Ocean View, at least at the eastern and western ends, where most of the real estate activity seems to be.

I think it will be built. The city is the one that said someone was wanting to develop it. I don't think the city would have even mentioned it if they didn't think it could be built.

From my understanding its near the Pretty lake area, maybe to the left of it. They didn't give us too much information though. I do understand what you are saying but I don't see too many airplanes or helicopters flying over there.

The airport might be far enough to the east for it to work at that location.

I'm thinking that when he said "less desirable" he meant "low income" high-density which is what the city is trying to get away from, I hope. I don't really know what he is trying to say, but by using the proposed and existing developments in OV as a gauge it seems "low density" is not the way the city is leaning. Looking at his statement again and using my way of thinking of what he meant then that means there is land in the city that is zoned for "low income high-density" housing. In other words I have no idea what the hell he's saying. :D

The citizens will get a very small park out of this, and they have objected clearly and passionately about this project. The City, it's representatives and Randy Wright have displayed uncharacteristic arrogance and stubbornness on this issue, flaunting the public process with their weak justifications based on minor technicalities. If your own neighborhood doesn't want you to do it, don't do it.

I have to say that I'm impressed that vdogg gets viable responsive answers from Marathon at all. They typically tight-lipped on their projects. (Hey, do you know who the architect is on their Pretty Lake Ave Condos project?)

I don't go into Norfolk as much anymore since I came to work from the house. Who is doing the construction on the Granby Tower?

I have to say that I'm impressed that vdogg gets viable responsive answers from Marathon at all. They typically tight-lipped on their projects. (Hey, do you know who the architect is on their Pretty Lake Ave Condos project?)

I don't go into Norfolk as much anymore since I came to work from the house. Who is doing the construction on the Granby Tower?

Actually, I do think I have info on the pretty lake architect but I don't know if i've posted it with regards to the projects listing yet so i'll have to look around. I know that Cross and bradshaw are overseeing the initial engineering of the project. Not exactly sure Which construction company is building it though.

This is the Architects web site for Pretty Lake. The Architect is VIA design Architecture. They are also doing the condo project called 515 bridge street in downtown Hampton. One of the many condo buildings already under construction in Downtown Hampton.

Archived