Connections - Getting from Point A to Point B without a car

zenstyle

Mine is an 85, from the dead center of town.

Scottville Mini Mart does not exist. If it took into account Green Life market, the new Indian place, the Ethopian Place, and Spike & Mike's, it'd be higher.

ETA: Just for grins, I tested my workplace address (the lovely and scenic office park across 28th from Target/Costco). 57. Well, of course, look at all these restaurants. M@C shows up as a mere pharmacy, as does Costco. The site does not take into account sidewalks or bad design.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm around Plymouth and Boston and it scored a 51.

There are some omissions and places I know don't exist. Everything is slightly out of walking distance in these parts though there are a few parks and nice neighborhoods to walk through. Luckily the Eastgate pharmacy is just down the street. You can walk to it in the blinding snow without freezing if you're in need of some liquor. I used to feel comfortable knowing MetroHealth was within crawling distance.

We did this about a year ago -- right here on UP, and discovered that the software was counting P.O. Boxes at the main branch as actual locations of businesses. Meijer, D&W , etc, were all listed as being at Michigan and Monroe! Hopefuly they've begun to fix that little glitch!

This may be of resource to some people as well!

www.walkjogrun.net

It's a Google map interface that allows you to layout exercising routes (walking, jogging, running, biking, whatever...) It'll tell you the distance, time, speed, pace, and calories burned. You can either use a previously saved route or create and save your own for future reference. Check it out!

Ughh....I only scored an 11 in Kentwood. I live by Princeton Estates.....NE of Kalamazoo and 60th. Granted, I can't really walk anywhere from my house, but biking or a 1.5 mile drive gets me to everything....banks (at least 4), stores (Meijer, Family Fare, Horrocks!!!, etc.), movies, restaurants, etc. So, I do hate that I can't walk anywhere, but I still think I have less environmental impact than most people....even my commute to work is only 6 miles and gets me highway like gas milage.... I guess I need to move to Eastown or someplace to be able to ditch the car, though.

• 4 months later...

I guess Grattan is not very "walkable" as I got a 2...so us poor country folks are "car dependant"...however I do ride my bike in the summer and have gone as far as seven miles one way (had to go to the bank)...so 14 round trip...talk about a work out! Still M-44 has a very nice wide shoulder.

I rode to and from a class held at the downtown library last evening. During both trips, I noticed many more bikes on the streets compared to say, a year ago. And I mean serious, ADULT riders, wearing helmets and using headlights and taillights! All configurations, too, from multi-speed mountain bikes to beach cruisers tricked out to look as comfy as a porch swing. (I'm not a fast rider, so I make a point of noticing such things.) I felt on the cusp of something big, Big, BIG!

I raise a glass of champagne in honor of the bicyclists of Grand Rapids.

• 2 weeks later...

I moved to Minneapolis from Grand Rapids and I am amazed that a city as large as this has such a large population of people who utilize bikes,scooters, etc to get from A to B. These riders are treated with the utmost respect when it comes to fellow automobile drivers sharing the road. If a bustling metropolis such as Minneapolis can handle the large number of bike riders, surley Grand Rapids wont be far behind in the coming years. Lets also cross our fingers on a light rail system in GR. The twin cities has one and it is fantastic to take from downtown 30 minutes to the Mall of America. But thats a differnt topic for a different category

• 2 weeks later...

There's a little blip in the paper today that the city has been awarded initial funding to complete the rail trail from Monroe Ave North to Ann Street, to link up with the White Pine Trail. The city now is seeking federal funding to reach the $3.2 Million needed.

Great news!

There's a little blip in the paper today that the city has been awarded initial funding to complete the rail trail from Monroe Ave North to Ann Street, to link up with the White Pine Trail. The city now is seeking federal funding to reach the $3.2 Million needed.

Great news!

I'm confused on this. Monroe Ave runs perpendicular to Ann. How does it go from Monroe to Ann? Or are you talking about the entire section from just south of the Water Plant all the way up to Ann? There's a rail line that runs along most of that. When I've examined it before, it looked like the biggest issues would be getting over the still used rail line near Ann and getting right of way through a couple of the properties that fronted the river.

This would be a great connection to have, making it easier for cyclists in Rockford, Belmont, and surrounding areas to commute downtown or beyond. I met a guy this summer who commuted from Rockford to Wyoming, ~15 miles each way if I remember right, 3-4 days/week using the White Pine Trail for a portion of it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived