Connections - Getting from Point A to Point B without a car

zenstyle

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the actual rail bridge that is going to be converted to a bike trail apparently. This is the portion over Market Ave and the river. The city had to reject the current bids from 7/2005 because it took them over a year to work out a plan with CSX, so they need to get new bids. There are bike trails going in all over it seems. I think I saw on the bid breakdown that there would be railings added. :P

272468240_46cc4a4fd1_b.jpg

• 3 months later...

A step toward Grand Walk trail

Wasn't I just saying we haven't heard a lot on GrandWalk lately?

You may have heard about the Grand Walk trail, an eight-mile route between Grand Rapids and Walker that would run atop the sewer line and connect Richmond Park with The Musketawa Trail. If not, you probably will hear more about it in the near future.

If built, it also would connect with the Fred Meijer Standale Trail proposed to run from that city center to Millennium Park.

The Grand Walk has been on the city of Walker's project list for several years. It's a crucial link in the region's developing trail network.

Trails play important role

"This is a reality check to test the feasibility and the practicality of the route," Rick Chapla, with Greater Grand Rapids Right Place Inc., said.

The Right Place generally isn't thought of as a trails organization. Chapla, its vice president for urban redevelopment, said it is not. But trails can play an important part of urban revitalization projects.

Chapla is working on sustainable development in the Grand Walk area. The trail, he said, is part of the "triple bottom line" philosophy used for sustainable development. It is a strategy that enhances economic, environmental and social values in the area.

Funds in place, trail contract ready for city OK (Plaster Creek Trail)

GRAND RAPIDS -- It's been nearly a decade in the making, but city commissioners today are set to approve a $1.9 million contract to extend the Plaster Creek Trail.

The 1-mile asphalt path will extend the trail from Eastern Avenue SE to South Division Avenue. Acting City Engineer Rick DeVries said clearing could begin this month. He said the project probably will be complete by August.

It will take the trail away from Plaster Creek and follow north along Eastern Avenue and west on 28th Street SE before it re-enters the wooded area along Plaster Creek, DeVries said.

Bike trails, walking trails....it's getting difficult to keep up with all the improvements going on around town.

A step toward Grand Walk trail

Wasn't I just saying we haven't heard a lot on GrandWalk lately?

You may have heard about the Grand Walk trail, an eight-mile route between Grand Rapids and Walker that would run atop the sewer line and connect Richmond Park with The Musketawa Trail. If not, you probably will hear more about it in the near future.

If built, it also would connect with the Fred Meijer Standale Trail proposed to run from that city center to Millennium Park.

The Grand Walk has been on the city of Walker's project list for several years. It's a crucial link in the region's developing trail network.

Trails play important role

"This is a reality check to test the feasibility and the practicality of the route," Rick Chapla, with Greater Grand Rapids Right Place Inc., said.

The Right Place generally isn't thought of as a trails organization. Chapla, its vice president for urban redevelopment, said it is not. But trails can play an important part of urban revitalization projects.

Chapla is working on sustainable development in the Grand Walk area. The trail, he said, is part of the "triple bottom line" philosophy used for sustainable development. It is a strategy that enhances economic, environmental and social values in the area.

GRAND RAPIDS -- It's been nearly a decade in the making, but city commissioners today are set to approve a $1.9 million contract to extend the Plaster Creek Trail.

The 1-mile asphalt path will extend the trail from Eastern Avenue SE to South Division Avenue. Acting City Engineer Rick DeVries said clearing could begin this month. He said the project probably will be complete by August.

It will take the trail away from Plaster Creek and follow north along Eastern Avenue and west on 28th Street SE before it re-enters the wooded area along Plaster Creek, DeVries said.

Bike trails, walking trails....it's getting difficult to keep up with all the improvements going on around town.

Is this part of the trail that already exists in Standale? I remember lots of talk about the one I am talking about being put in, it is only a few years old. Under the power lines east of the Blockbuster on LMD there is a trail that runs a ways in the direction of Millennium Park. I have ridden down there a few times from Standale.

Is this part of the trail that already exists in Standale? I remember lots of talk about the one I am talking about being put in, it is only a few years old. Under the power lines east of the Blockbuster on LMD there is a trail that runs a ways in the direction of Millennium Park. I have ridden down there a few times from Standale.

• 2 months later...

Is the West Michigan Trails & Greenways Coalition an affiliate or involved with Rails to Trails? I think the Rails to Trails network has folks with established connections in all major rail operators real estate divisions. Some times it's that established connection that can broker deals.

Is the West Michigan Trails & Greenways Coalition an affiliate or involved with Rails to Trails? I think the Rails to Trails network has folks with established connections in all major rail operators real estate divisions. Some times it's that established connection that can broker deals.

• 2 months later...
I've noticed (for a few months) they've cleared a TON of trees along the creek at Madison. They also put up a rather tall retaining type wall (3-5 feet maybe). To me, I wouldn't be too happy looking out my back windows at a 5' high cement wall in my backyard, although I will say I haven't looked at it other than from my car.

I also noticed they were doing some work down on the Divison side of the creek as well.

I also noticed that at 44th and Kalamazoo, where the Paul B. Henry trail ends, the rail bed that trail uses appears to be abandoned on the north west corner of the intersection. This rail bed is the same one that eventually crosses 28th street and Division at their intersection, but I'm pretty sure I've seen a train up there lately - so does anyone know where the rails stop? It seems like another great place for a trail.

I also noticed that at 44th and Kalamazoo, where the Paul B. Henry trail ends, the rail bed that trail uses appears to be abandoned on the north west corner of the intersection. This rail bed is the same one that eventually crosses 28th street and Division at their intersection, but I'm pretty sure I've seen a train up there lately - so does anyone know where the rails stop? It seems like another great place for a trail.

I know this probably isn't a "this or that" situation, but I admit to getting so frustrated hearing about the City spending money on projects like this when I DON'T HAVE SIDEWALKS. The northeast part of town (Michigan Oaks) has little or no shoulder on the streets, no sidewalks, no walkability. Why not work on the walkability (and bikeability) of the City proper before running expensive trails out to the 'burbs?!?

[There. Done venting. :-) ]

I know this probably isn't a "this or that" situation, but I admit to getting so frustrated hearing about the City spending money on projects like this when I DON'T HAVE SIDEWALKS. The northeast part of town (Michigan Oaks) has little or no shoulder on the streets, no sidewalks, no walkability. Why not work on the walkability (and bikeability) of the City proper before running expensive trails out to the 'burbs?!?

[There. Done venting. :-) ]

• 5 months later...
Traffic will resist any new signage, lane markings, and the like. The Plainfield re-striping makes a de facto bike lane, but it's not getting signed unless the bicycle club or other private parties donate funds/signs. Pat Bush has gratefully accepted all of the club's Share the Road markers, and they've been installed in the places that we suggested (including Plymouth between Michigan and Fulton, which doesn't need them, but that's what the hospice patient wanted).

Archived