Blue Bridge Ventures

twoshort

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now I'm going to play Devil's Advocate. Jack, before you post the letter, you may want to consider the fact that many of us think that certain city officials check in here occasionally. It is an open forum that does not require membership :whistling:

Would posting the legal opinion of their law firm have any potentially adverse action?

The document was already given to the City Commissioners and the staff, and I think some members of the media got a copy through the City, so it's basically already become a public document. I think it's good if people, including the Commissioners and the media, read it so they know the "it's illegal" argument has no basis.

I didn't think about how this could be viewed as "hot rodding" the staff before we posted this - that wasn't my intent. I also don't feel like we should bury the document so the people remain confused.

Just to clarify the cost of the garage: neither the City nor us know for sure what the total cost of the garage is going to be. They acknowledge that the actual cost could well exceed the $20.6M - which is a number that the City previously asked to set as a maximum price (also a number below what was experts have estimated). So no one knows at this point if there will be a profit or a loss on the sale of the garage (and won't until at least the hole has been dug). I know there is a perception out there that the garage will cost less - but even the City doesn't have enough confidence in that to commit to paying the actual cost, where ever it ends up.

I think Rabaut is a pain as well. She is all about the Northeast side (which would make you think she would support something in Monroe North).

I always wonder what makes this city tick. 1) they know that there is a major parking crunch, 2) If they were smart, they would realize that above ground lots are not the way to go (for tax dollars, loss of space, etc. etc.), 3) You've got a developer willing to fork out $85M on a development and they are going to fight it?!

Jack, I bet you Kwame would give you free limo service in his wife's Navigator for two months if you put $85 Million into downtown Detroit. ;)

The point is, you could probably list 100 cities that would bend over backward to build a project like this and our a-hole city commission would rather scratch their heads and wonder what to do... It makes me want to slap the whole commission. :shok:

Joe

^Hay leave Rabaut out of this Dad! She supports light-rail! ;-) JackBBV, if you would share the legal opinion with us I would be more the glad to refrence it when I write a Public Pulse letter. If you can't I'm still going to write all the commisioners in support of your great development that will ignite Monroe North.

Most of the Commission has taken the time to attend meetings and gain an understanding of the project, the North Monroe area and the parking alternitives. I especially respect these people because they are going beyond what most of the public would expect from them and not just on this topic but I know that some of them are heavily involved in looking for solutions to problems the City as a whole is facing - including the schools. Those Commissioners have been open minded and supportive.

The ones who haven't attended any meetings (no communication at all) are the ones who don't understand the issue at all and are the ones speaking out against it. We would love an opportunity to talk with the Mayor and Commissioner Rabaut - but we haven't been able to.

Rizzo: We are planning on getting our web site up and going again, we've just been overwhelmed with projects and haven't been able to dedicate anyone to it yet.

Again we appreciate your support, especially to those of you who are writting letters and making calls.

I don't think the editorial was written by anyone in the commission. It appears to have been written by the GR Press staff (there is no author at the bottom).

They mention an "inflated price tag". Maybe I'm misuderstanding something, but isn't the $20 million pricetag estimate so high because of the unique building characteristics of the ramp and its underground construction? I didn't think it was an artificially inflated pricetag.

Another quote I had issue with: "Why the rush? The decision needs to be made on the commission's timetable, not Mr. Buchanan's."

The ELECTED commission (and all of government for that matter) serves at the pleasure of the taxpayers, not the other way around. Get off your stinkin high horses <_<

I don't think the editorial was written by anyone in the commission. It appears to have been written by the GR Press staff (there is no author at the bottom).

They mention an "inflated price tag". Maybe I'm misuderstanding something, but isn't the $20 million pricetag estimate so high because of the unique building characteristics of the ramp and its underground construction? I didn't think it was an artificially inflated pricetag.

Another quote I had issue with: "Why the rush? The decision needs to be made on the commission's timetable, not Mr. Buchanan's."

The ELECTED commission (and all of government for that matter) serves at the pleasure of the taxpayers, not the other way around. Get off your stinkin high horses <_<

True, we do pay their salary but there should also be time given for public comment. I agree that the decision needed to be delayed. Joe public deserves to be heard even if they don't end up being listened too.

Watch it GRDaddy.....

Note to all: If you do send in a letter about this project, please state where you live & work.

-GR taxpayer

Oh yeah, you're right. I shouldn't support anything in Grand Rapids if I'm not a GR taxpayer (ie Detroit).

As far as the commission goes and joe public, that's not what the article said. They said it should be at the "commission's timetable", not "joe public's timetable". They're not the same thing. Of course I agree that the public should be heard.

Sometimes when I read this crap in the Press it makes me want to spend my tax money on Richas idea for a Grand Rapids Free Press, for some reason it seems the Press just thinks its giving us what we want, do we want this? Hecks na!

Oh yeah, you're right. I shouldn't support anything in Grand Rapids if I'm not a GR taxpayer (ie Detroit).

I have to support Grid Girl on this one. As non taxpayers into the city, we can voice our opinion on items pertaining to the city, but should not try to influence the outcome. That is up to the residents of the city to decide. Nothing irritates me more than people that write into the public pulse of the GR press and rant about a item that will affect the taxpayers of Grand Rapids, yet they sign their home from Stanwood, Rockford, etc. Not railing on you personally, Jeff, it is just a pet peave of mine.

Archived