Historic Buildings

Aporkalypse

Anyone hae any favorite historic buildings in Arkansas you would like to see redeveloped?

A lot of the ones in Little Rock and NLR I wanted to see done have been done but here are a couple that need it badly.

The old downtown YMCA is a beautiful Spanish Revival building from the 1920s, I believe. Here's an old picture of it and an artist's drawing of a planned renovation. I have no idea of the current status of it:

YMCA%20Artist%20Rendition%201.jpg

YMCA%20Artist%20Rendition%202.jpg

ymca.jpg

The Donaghey Building is a 14-story yellow brick building dating back to 1926. It is currently being used as an office building but is available for redevelopment. I haven't heard anything new lately.

The old Albert Pike Hotel is one of the most beautiful buildings in Little Rock and also dates back to the 20s. It is currently used as a residential facility for the elderly and those with psychiatric illnesses and as far as I know there are no plans to redevelop it. I would love to see it brought back as a full-service hotel.

aphot.jpg

Little Rock's list has plummeted in the last decade just as Fayetteville's has. I don't know many of the names of the buildings in Hot Springs but I'd love to see more interest in redeveloping older Hot Springs structures further away from bathhouse row.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those are some nice historical buildings there in Little Rock. I can't say I'm familiar with the Medical Arts Center in Hot Springs. Is the old Army/Navy Hospital in Hot Springs in use? I don't think it looked vacant when I was there earlier this year but I wasn't sure what it's being used for as right now.

hs04b9qy.jpg

Those are some nice historical buildings there in Little Rock. I can't say I'm familiar with the Medical Arts Center in Hot Springs. Is the old Army/Navy Hospital in Hot Springs in use? I don't think it looked vacant when I was there earlier this year but I wasn't sure what it's being used for as right now.

hs04b9qy.jpg

Beautiful Pic!!

hs04b9qy.jpg

Statewide, I would think that building would be #1 on the list. Hot Springs doesn't need office space and this kind of building couldn't revert to being a hospital. I don't think it would be convertible to a hotel. A condo/apt redevelopment would be nice but I don't know if that part of town (away from the lakes) has that kind of demand, it's a massive building. Perhaps a mixed use dev't?

Statewide, I would think that building would be #1 on the list. Hot Springs doesn't need office space and this kind of building couldn't revert to being a hospital. I don't think it would be convertible to a hotel. A condo/apt redevelopment would be nice but I don't know if that part of town (away from the lakes) has that kind of demand, it's a massive building. Perhaps a mixed use dev't?

I wasn't positive if it was in current use or not. It didn't look vacant but I also couldn't tell it was being used by anyone either. If Hot Springs can get their pedestrian fiendly downtown program going it might change people's attititudes about condos in that area of town. It's a great area just up the hill a bit from Bathhouse Row. I believe the Promenade that runs directly behind the bathouses is directly between the bathhouses and the old hospital. A mixed-use developments does also sound like a good idea for it also. But I'm like you and I don't see it becoming a hotel when the Arlington is so close. But either way I really think that area of Hot Springs has a lot of potential.

I hate to get this off-topic but I have considered eventually starting a topic with pics of historic buildings in Arkansas. I'm in no big rush because so far I only have buildings in Fayetteville. Although I haven't really looked on the internet for any pics. But at some point in the future I want to go to Eureka Springs and Van buren/Ft Smith and take some pics. Including pics of some of the historic buildings in those areas. I will be going to Pine Bluff around Thanksgiving. I was hoping to be able to find some historic buildings around there as well.

• 4 months later...

I wasn't positive if it was in current use or not. It didn't look vacant but I also couldn't tell it was being used by anyone either. If Hot Springs can get their pedestrian fiendly downtown program going it might change people's attititudes about condos in that area of town. It's a great area just up the hill a bit from Bathhouse Row. I believe the Promenade that runs directly behind the bathouses is directly between the bathhouses and the old hospital. A mixed-use developments does also sound like a good idea for it also. But I'm like you and I don't see it becoming a hotel when the Arlington is so close. But either way I really think that area of Hot Springs has a lot of potential.

Does anyone know who is the current owner of the Medical Arts Building?

Archived