City gets federal funds for safety complex

beerbeer

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not a fan of this idea. What I personally would prefer is for the city to build a mix use city-goverment tower to house city hall (which they've stated is too small), the police department, and fire officials. There had been talk about this in the past, with the city selling the current city hall to the Wadsworth for more space. Even with the Wadsworth expanding, I think they still could use even more room. I had been told by a Wadsworth official one day that they currently display about 10% of the works that they have due to room constraints. I'd have to agree, when I worked in had to work in there, it seemed like every room in the basement had a few pieces of art stacked up in the corner.

I am for this plan. Right now this is a barren area. There once used to be a time when this area was home to rooming houses and stores but now is home to the Isham Terry House, some boarded up buildings, one home and one apartment/retail building. Noone is obviously going to take a leap of that much faith and develop something there because many of the property owners in that area have been waiting for 10+ years for that so lets get someone started on cleaning up this area to make way for more expansion.

I agree, and it doesn't hurt to develop a safety complex in the northern part of the city either. IMO, downtown space should be developed in the most valuable way possible: mixed use residential/office buildings. I'd like to see (eventually) more high rises with office space on the lower floors and apartments on the upper floors, similar to those being developed in New York. But we're a ways from that yet.

I know, brother. And, to be truthful, it could get some more growth over there where people might feel safe, i.e. expanding downtown's footprint a little to the north of I-84. I know it's a good plan, I just wish it was different a little....

There really should be one large office building that houses many of the cities angencies instead of having them spread all over town. It would be much more cost effective. And moving the police department downtown instead of the current location out in the middle of nowhere in the North Meadows was long overdue. Who is the genius who came up with that idea in the first place?? Having a police presence situated between dowtown (where people need to feel safe) and the North End Neighborhoods (South Arsenal, Clayhill, Blue Hills all struggle with crime) just makes TOO much sense.

Archived