Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mcheiss

Major Mixed-use Project in Lowell

Another Great Development in the heart of NW Arkansas.

Mayor Phil Biggers of Lowell envisions thousands of residents stepping off an elevated train at a town center of shops, offices and apartments only steps away from Interstate 540 and Arkansas 264.

The Lowell City Council rezoned 136 acres at the intersection last month from residential to commercial highway for developer Tom Terminella, who told aldermen he plans an urban mixed-use development with apartments and businesses. The development would be located near a proposed regional light-rail line and is the latest in a flurry of mixed-use developments in Benton and Washington counties.

During the council

So is this development going to be happening even if the light rail doesn't happen? Or is this a development that will be taking place in the future when the possibility of a light rail is more possible? It sounds like an interesting idea. I just hope some of these developments don't jump the gun a little too soon. I wonder if there will be enough demand in Lowell for something like this. I'm sure there will be a little further in the future but I'm not sure if there would be enough now. Of course maybe something like this could really jumpstart Lowell into becoming more of a city that could eventually compete with some of the other bigger cities up here.

So is this development going to be happening even if the light rail doesn't happen? Or is this a development that will be taking place in the future when the possibility of a light rail is more possible? It sounds like an interesting idea. I just hope some of these developments don't jump the gun a little too soon. I wonder if there will be enough demand in Lowell for something like this. I'm sure there will be a little further in the future but I'm not sure if there would be enough now. Of course maybe something like this could really jumpstart Lowell into becoming more of a city that could eventually compete with some of the other bigger cities up here.

I think it will be built even if the light rail isn't built.

The article I was reading was just throwing out the fact that it was going to be near the Light Rail Stop in Lowell. Plus, I think these developers are convincing themselves that once Rogers is done developing it's land near the Interstate and such, that Lowell will be the focus of NW Arkansas, since it's situated in the center of NWA.

I think it will be built even if the light rail isn't built.

The article I was reading was just throwing out the fact that it was going to be near the Light Rail Stop in Lowell. Plus, I think these developers are convincing themselves that once Rogers is done developing it's land near the Interstate and such, that Lowell will be the focus of NW Arkansas, since it's situated in the center of NWA.

That's true and it's not too far away from areas like Pinnacle Hills.

That's true and it's not too far away from areas like Pinnacle Hills.

Well, Pinnacle is around 3 miles from this site.

It's a lot closer to Pleasant Crossing though, not more than a mile at the most.

Well, Pinnacle is around 3 miles from this site.

It's a lot closer to Pleasant Crossing though, not more than a mile at the most.

Well I guess it is relatively close when you're traveling on I-540. And there is plenty of room for development in that area too.

Well I guess it is relatively close when you're traveling on I-540. And there is plenty of room for development in that area too.

Oh yeah.

There's plenty of room for retail, condos, and commercial space.

Lowell is about to take off. That's the best place to own land in NWA right now. The office parks will continue to grow and its central location is perfect. Forward-thinking people would've built a major, regional hospital there for best access to all of NWA and would think about locating things like a central arena/convention center there as land is aplenty and that area will be transitioning from exurban to suburban very soon.

Lowell is about to take off. That's the best place to own land in NWA right now. The office parks will continue to grow and its central location is perfect. Forward-thinking people would've built a major, regional hospital there for best access to all of NWA and would think about locating things like a central arena/convention center there as land is aplenty and that area will be transitioning from exurban to suburban very soon.

It certainly does have a nice location. I'm wondering if Lowell could one day challenge at some of the other northwest Arkansas cities in some ways somewhere in the future.

It certainly does have a nice location. I'm wondering if Lowell could one day challenge at some of the other northwest Arkansas cities in some ways somewhere in the future.

It all depends on how aggressive their annexation policies are. They need to determine their planning zone now and probably should go ahead and establish a 5 mile buffer.

It all depends on how aggressive their annexation policies are. They need to determine their planning zone now and probably should go ahead and establish a 5 mile buffer.

Lowell will be the next place to invest in after Rogers is done. I'm pretty sure Lowell already does have a master planning zone around their city to a certain extent, but not 5-miles, because it is bordered by cities like Rogers and Springdale that have already designated land near lowell as "high priority".

Lowell will be the next place to invest in after Rogers is done. I'm pretty sure Lowell already does have a master planning zone around their city to a certain extent, but not 5-miles, because it is bordered by cities like Rogers and Springdale that have already designated land near lowell as "high priority".

Of course, that's the issue - Rogers will want that land as well as its own growth is limited by its border with Bentonville in the other direction.

Of course, that's the issue - Rogers will want that land as well as its own growth is limited by its border with Bentonville in the other direction.

Rogers has a lot of land still left to develop, and the have plenty of land west of I-540 that is unclaimed.

Annexations have become rumors up here, and it may happen in the future. It could help coordinate and centralize one large city, instead of having a medium sized city and a small city fighting over zoning.