Extensive news coverage this week on I-73 project

vicupstate

Choosing an I-73 route may not be easy

The Florence Morning News, SC ETV and the CBS affliate in Florence (ch. 13) are collaborating on a news campaign around I-73.

Tommorrow (Tuesday) and Thursday there will be a series of panel discussions on the highway. Tuesday's forum is in Conway at Coastal Carolina and Thursday's is in Florence at Francis Marion. Each is open to the public. On Tuesday and Thursday from 7-8, ETV will air coverage of the forums. Channel 13 will also cover the forum live from 5:30-6:00 each of those days. The Morning News will run six days of stories, starting yesterday (Sunday). The article on Sunday estimates the cost at between $11-22mm per mile.

If you are interested in I-73, be sure to check it out.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Soon, you will be able to travel from Bennettsville to Myrtle Beach thats all four lanes utilizing SC 38 and US 501 (SC 38 portions that are still 2 lanes are between I-95 and US 501 ; US 501 between the north end of the Marion bypass and the SC 38 intersection]. At the SC 38/US 501 intersection, the four laning that is taking place out there is to connect both roadways by making the four lane highway the dominant highway. In another words, if your going south on US 501 to SC 38, you must stop at the stop sign/possible traffic light before then approaching the highway. If going north of US 501, you turn right off the four lane highway because if you dont, you are going north on 38. With all said, some of you may remember my opinion on I-73 that it should follow the US 52 corridor but to stay on topic here, I-73 should follow the NC/SC 38 corridor to US 501. This way, the interstate can be built with the fewest disruptions to eminent domain and keep costs low by doing minor relocations around towns and rebuild the highway up to interstate standards.

What's the full proposed corridor for I-73, anyway? Are we getting any better picture of where it will run? The last time I checked, it seemed to be all over the landscape, from Columbus, Ohio through Huntington, WV, down through the coal country then connecting to and sharing I-77 for a good distance, etc. ?

To me, this freeway seems as political as anything. Is it really going where it's needed the most? I hope so.

What's the full proposed corridor for I-73, anyway? Are we getting any better picture of where it will run? The last time I checked, it seemed to be all over the landscape, from Columbus, Ohio through Huntington, WV, down through the coal country then connecting to and sharing I-77 for a good distance, etc. ?

To me, this freeway seems as political as anything. Is it really going where it's needed the most? I hope so.

It's all about Myrtle Beach.

Archived