The Best College Rivalry

GvilleSC

It's that time of year, again! When the state divides into two, and tensions and expectations run high and colors run deep.

SO, for those of you going to the game, post your pictures here to document SC's biggest sporting event! If anyone wants to talk about what to expect this Saturday go ahead... make predictions... etc. Have fun, BE NICE :D

C.U. at the GAME!!!!

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah the Tiger burn. Such a wonderful tradition :)

I think Clemson a good chance of loosing this year. Just my opinion though :shades:

GO GAMECOCKS!

Oh, and I'd just like to say how much it sucks that its only on PPV this year. It should be a state law that at the very least our local media stations have to cover this game.

WOOO-HOOOO-WOOHOOHOOHOO! C-L-E-M-S-O--N!!!!

I'll be there all decked out in my orange gear- Adding some color to Carolina's darkness. It will be EXTREMELY exciting to watch this game. It should be very close... If it is, i'd say that Clemson has the advantage there, being that they haven't lost a game by more than 6 this year and in the final seconds... And the ALL this press should get to Carolina's heads... But we'll see.

GO TIGERS! :yahoo:

Ah the Tiger burn. Such a wonderful tradition :)

I think Clemson a good chance of loosing this year. Just my opinion though :shades:

GO GAMECOCKS!

Oh, and I'd just like to say how much it sucks that its only on PPV this year. It should be a state law that at the very least our local media stations have to cover this game.

Spartan, It would be a bad idea to watch the game at Littlejohn if you plan to chear for USC.

Spartan, It would be a bad idea to watch the game at Littlejohn if you plan to chear for USC.

lol, indeed it would. I have no plans to go there, because everyone in Clemson and probably the surrounding area will be there too. Besides that, I would be in the extreme minority there ;)

I don't have a source, because that information does not have a designated author that I know of. Various people on a Clemson message board (www.thetigernet.com) post it frequently, but it is never accompanied by an author. I will remove it if you would prefer. I wasn't trying to violate any posting guidelines.

Thanks.

Removing it will not be necessary. And just for kick, a good ol' opinion-based editorial form the Daily Gamecock staff :)

This is taken from last years Gamecock

Staff Editorial: Breaking news: Clemson sucks

Published: Friday, November 19, 2004

After much deliberation, The Gamecock editorial board has decided to take a stance on the Carolina-Clemson issue. Our conclusion: Clemson sucks.

It's a sad testimony of the educational level of South Carolina when the second-largest research university in the state can't even pronounce its name. Clempson prides itself on originality, with its orange overalls and its policy allowing fans on the field after the game.

But the only thing distinctive about Clemson is that god-awful orange its fans insist on wearing. Countless high school, college and pro teams share the tiger mascot, and at least two schools - Auburn and LSU - use Tiger Rag as its fight song. If Tiger Rag is the "song that shakes the Southland," it's shaking at least two other Southern schools as well. You'll also hear a lot about "the most exciting 25 seconds in college football" that Brent Musberger said about Clemson rubbing a rock and stumbling down a hill. There's no drama - fans don't even know what's going on until the team is already on the field.

Then there's 1980 and Clemson's fraudulent national championship under the questionable recruiting practices of Danny Ford. Much like South Carolina's 1984 season, Clemson fans point to the holy year of 1981 as they went 12-0 and defeated Nebraska in the Orange Bowl to win the national championship. Ford was fired in 1989 to avoid an NCAA investigation. Ever since then, Clemson fans have really showed their loyalty to the program by staying away from Death Valley when times got tough. In 1993, Clemson averaged nearly 10,000 fewer fans than the previous season and rejoiced when coach Ken Hatfield was fired. The reason? Clemson lost three games and Hatfield's .770 winning percentage just wasn't good enough.

We could have done the politically correct editorial for rivalry week, touting the benefits of both schools, wishing a safe game and enjoyable time for fans - but all we really want to do is beat the crap out of Clemson. It's rivalry week. Talk as much trash as possible. We recommend the classic "cow college" jokes as well as the timely Duke slam. And don't worry - no matter how much we talk trash about Clemson, they always stoop lower, with drunk students in Death Valley two years ago passing around a giant inflatable penis while standing on a grassy hill.

As you can tell, we've given this issue careful thought. Go Cocks, and long live rivalry.

Just for the record... Clemson's fight song may be named the same as LSU's and Auburn BUT it's not the same at all as far as tune or cheering goes. And we may have the same mascot as other school or pro teams, but we have our own UNIQUE tiger paw. Oh wait, They might say that's unoriginal. Clemson hospitality and traditions is what makes a game day special here. HEY Carolina, whatcha got in that department.... NOTHING COMPARABLE! :rofl:

Archived