The Best College Rivalry

GvilleSC

Clemson is not a farm school. It is an engineering school you nuts. And without Clemson there probably wouldn't be any ICAR, BMW, or Michelin because these big corporations want to move near a big automotive university like Clemson.

GO TIGERS WE HAVE BEATIN THE COCKS 17 OUT OF THE LAST 19 YEARS KEEP THE STREAK GOING TIGERS C-L-E-M-S-O-N

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Umm, well first of all... Leaf Blowers- I pass them everyday blowing the leaves and beautifying the already wonderful campus. All of the "wasted" space provides great recreation options, like you said, Bowman field, and for the other areas- they are great for studying. Clemson has one of the State's most beautiful Campuses IMO.

As for Clemson- No, the reason they didn't locate ICAR in Clemson is not becuase Clemson's in the middle of nowhere, it's because Clemson University is dedicated to giving back to the State of South Carolina. Geneology Center-Greenwood. Architecture-Charleston. ICAR-Greenville. Among others. And no, USC's regional campuses are not the same thing. Even so, the city of Clemson is nothing to wave a stick at. It's what, around 15,000? That's the size of Mauldin's proper area.

By the way, Clemson didn't miss the boat on the automotive industry. We're not looking to develop a car, but ways to make them better and more efficient. Cars aren't going anywhere.

Anyway, we'll just see about the football game tomorrow.

My prediction- Clemson 24- USC 17

Why not?

WHy would they be?

Example:

USC (as a whole)-The Greenville County School District. Made up of several high schools that are each their seperate identity. No other relationship for the most part. EACH HAVE THEIR OWN MASCOTS and PRINCIPALS/PRESIDENTS.

Clemson-A Greenville County high school's association with such things as a career center or the Fine Arts Center. You can go study at one of these but you're still under Clemson's rule- You're just taking classes off campus.

WHy would they be?

Example:

USC (as a whole)-The Greenville County School District. Made up of several high schools that are each their seperate identity. No other relationship for the most part. EACH HAVE THEIR OWN MASCOTS and PRINCIPALS/PRESIDENTS.

Clemson-A Greenville County high school's association with such things as a career center or the Fine Arts Center. You can go study at one of these but you're still under Clemson's rule- You're just taking classes off campus.

Spartan's original point had to do with USC's accessibility to the state's population via regional campuses. I don't see how that differs in principle from ICAR in Greenville or the architecture school in Charleston. The relative independence of USC's regional campuses is irrelevant here.

Spartan's original point had to do with USC's accessibility to the state's population via regional campuses. I don't see how that differs in principle from ICAR in Greenville or the architecture school in Charleston. The relative independence of USC's regional campuses is irrelevant here.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. I'm saying that the reason that Clemson located ICAR in Greenville was not becuase Clemson is in the "middle of nowhere" but because Clemson is dedicated to giving back to the State of South Carolina... That's what I'm talking about, so whatever you're arguing... have fun with that :thumbsup:

Since when did a Northeastern U.S. media corporation like ESPN care about anything in this state anyway? <_< I guarantee that when media outlets decided not to air the game, they pissed off about 3/4's of the state. Many people at least in this state pay attention to this game, even if their teams aren't doing well. ESPN2 carried the game because the media infuriated a 3,000,000-person audience. Which in turn, pisses off advertisers.

Don't know much about advertising, do you?

You best believe a media savy outfit like ESPN does it's research...and it's research initially showed not enough to air the game period. Yes, once USC attained top 20 status, the decision was made to air the game in its entirety....only in SC. Advertisers for this Saturday were already secured well in advance of the decision to air (or not air) the game.

Bragging about a 99 point difference in SAT scores, huh? Well keep in mind that USC is nearly twice the size of Clemson and has the duty to educate the overall populace of the state while Clemson has a much higher percentage of out of staters. I think if you look at successful alumni you will find that USC overwhelms Clemson.

Clemson R-E-D-N-E-C-K-S

I'm not sure what you're talking about. I'm saying that the reason that Clemson located ICAR in Greenville was not becuase Clemson is in the "middle of nowhere" but because Clemson is dedicated to giving back to the State of South Carolina... That's what I'm talking about, so whatever you're arguing... have fun with that :thumbsup:

Let's backtrack.

Spartan originally said in post #50:

Clemson goes against the grain when it comes to the goal of providing a college education to the state. USC embraces it, particularly with their 8 regional campuses like USC Upstate, Aiken, Sumter, etc...

I wont regurgitate all of USC's academic achievments, but you can read about them here if you are interested in learning more. The Innovista campus is being integrated into the USC campus and creating a alot of infill development that will be geared towards nanoscience and fuelcell research.

Clemson on the other hand is finally embracing the automobile with ICAR being built 20 miles up the road in Greenville because of their location in the middle of nowhere.

In response you stated:

As for Clemson- No, the reason they didn't locate ICAR in Clemson is not becuase Clemson's in the middle of nowhere, it's because Clemson University is dedicated to giving back to the State of South Carolina. Geneology Center-Greenwood. Architecture-Charleston. ICAR-Greenville. Among others. And no, USC's regional campuses are not the same thing.

And I asked why wouldn't USC's regional campus compare to Clemson's various centers/schools throughout the state and you followed up with some school district analogy, which I'm still not sure how that relates to location (urban vs. "middle of nowhere"). My point is that in principle, USC's regional campuses employ the same concept as Clemson's educational centers. Clemson is dedicated to giving back to SC through these regional centers, and USC is dedicated to giving back to SC through regional campuses. Let's be one big happy South Carolina family. :yahoo:

I don't intend to detract from all of the fun y'all are having; however, I'd like to pose a more serious question:

Do you believe that the State of South Carolina (Columbia, specifically) should organize a New Years Day/Eve College Bowl Game?

Williams-Brice Stadium is as well-suited to play host to a bowl game as any other current host, isn't it?

It seems to me that all that's missing is an effort to organize a game, seek tie-ins with the major conferences (SEC, ACC, C-USA, and BIG EAST in particular), and to get some sponsorship. I think an ACC vs. C-USA game would be interesting.

I can envision it now: "The BMW Palmetto Bowl" or "The Palmetto Bowl, Sponsored by Michelin" ...

What do y'all think?

Of course, some of you may feel that there are too many bowl games as it stands. However, I think these extra games provide great exposure for the Marshall's, UCF's, East Carolina's, North Texas's, etc., that may not otherwise receive any national attention.

Bragging about a 99 point difference in SAT scores, huh? Well keep in mind that USC is nearly twice the size of Clemson and has the duty to educate the overall populace of the state while Clemson has a much higher percentage of out of staters. I think if you look at successful alumni you will find that USC overwhelms Clemson.

Clemson R-E-D-N-E-C-K-S

Successful alumni? I'm not sure how you're judging that one, but I'd challenge that anyday. In numbers- makes sense, you said it: "USC is nearly twice the size of Clemson".

Here you go:

The Carolina Shamecocks

Umm, well first of all... Leaf Blowers- I pass them everyday blowing the leaves and beautifying the already wonderful campus. All of the "wasted" space provides great recreation options, like you said, Bowman field, and for the other areas- they are great for studying. Clemson has one of the State's most beautiful Campuses IMO.

Exactly, they provide the opportunity. Nobody takes advantage of it though, which was my point.

I have seen one guy with a leaf blower on Fernow St once. Maybe I just dont walk around enough, I dunno.

Enrollment:

Clemson:

13,734 undergrad

2,309 grad

16,043 total

USC Columbia: more than 25,500

17,689 undergrad

6,511 grad

756 law

306 med

334 pharm

25,596 total

System wide there are more than 37,000 students.

So I wouldn't say twice the size, but it is a substantial difference.

The alumni thing could go on forever. I'm not sure we want to go there.

Clemson R-E-D-N-E-C-K-S

Whatever makes you guys feel better, waccamatt. :rofl:

Enrollment:

Clemson:

13,734 undergrad

2,309 grad

16,043 total

USC Columbia: more than 25,500

17,689 undergrad

6,511 grad

756 law

306 med

334 pharm

25,596 total

System wide there are more than 37,000 students.

So I wouldn't say twice the size, but it is a substantial difference.

The alumni thing could go on forever. I'm not sure we want to go there.

It is also important to point out that the admission statistics we're discussing (SAT, class standing, etc.) are for UNDERGRADUATE admissions. So although SC has more graduate students, they only have about 4,000 more undergrads. Hardly twice the amount, and hardly enough to justify the huge difference in admission requirements between the two schools. It's common knowledge that a LOT of students who go to USC couldn't get into Clemson.

I thought Conference USA was disbanded?

No. They lost 3 teams (Louisville, Cincinnati, and USF) to back fill the Big East when VPI, Miami, and BC left. Then, they went out and picked up 4-5 new teams (UCF, Marshall, etc.) to back fill C-USA. I think C-USA is actually going to be better than the Big East before long.

Archived