The Best College Rivalry

GvilleSC

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No. They lost 3 teams (Louisville, Cincinnati, and USF) to back fill the Big East when VPI, Miami, and BC left. Then, they went out and picked up 4-5 new teams (UCF, Marshall, etc.) to back fill C-USA. I think C-USA is actually going to be better than the Big East before long.

Thanks for the clarification.

Congrats to the Tigers. Seems as though the game wasn't nearly as high-scoring as many of us anticipated.

In other college football news, the SC State Bulldogs spanked the NC A&T Aggies 43-27 at the Rivalry Classic, aka Battle at the Border, at Memorial Stadium in Charlotte today. SC State's band was better too. ;)

That was a great game. Not many offensive fireworks, but definitely competitive and hard-fought. Both teams played hard, and both teams can be fairly pleased with their seasons. Clemson started slowly, as usual, but has picked it up toward the end (also as usual). This was definitely close to being a special season for us, as our 4 losses were by a combined 14 points. At least we can say we've been competitive, and with recruiting going so well I think we have a lot to look forward to.

The Gamecocks have overachieved, and Spurrier has definitely done a good job this year. I'm not surprised, because I respect him as a coach (although I am forced to cheer against him every week now). Based on SC's past, a year like this will probably go down as a special one...especially since the expectations were so low at the beginning of the season.

With that said, nobody at SC can EVER say that Clemson is a "farm school" as long as they continue to play the sound of that rooster crowing during the game. How annoying (and stupid)!

Just some random pictures last week of Clemson:

Tillman Hall with Thomas G. Clemson's statue in foreground

1startingpoint1.jpg

Looking the other direction, away from Tillman, towards Old Greenville Highway, with Bowman field on the left

1startingpoint2.jpg

Some steps going up to a plaza and garden

2-2.jpg

The Ampitheater

3-1.jpg

The ampitheater from farther up the hill. Martin Hall on the left

2-1.jpg

The walkway by the reflection pond and ampitheater. Martin Hall on the left

3-2.jpg

Same walkway with Beautiful old trees

4-1.jpg

The Strom Thurmond Institute

7-1.jpg

Just some random pictures last week of Clemson:

Tillman Hall with Thomas G. Clemson's statue in foreground

1startingpoint1.jpg

Looking the other direction, away from Tillman, towards Old Greenville Highway, with Bowman field on the left

1startingpoint2.jpg

Some steps going up to a plaza and garden

2-2.jpg

The Ampitheater

3-1.jpg

The ampitheater from farther up the hill. Martin Hall on the left

2-1.jpg

The walkway by the reflection pond and ampitheater. Martin Hall on the left

3-2.jpg

Same walkway with Beautiful old trees

4-1.jpg

The Strom Thurmond Institute

7-1.jpg

Maybe if Clemson did away with all of their references to Pitchfork Ben Tillman, they would do a better job of recruiting minority students. Just a thought.

Clemson and Winthrop are considered "sister institutions," and Winthrop's signature building is also called Tillman Hall (and looks better than Clemson's :D)):

tillmaninfall.jpg

tillman.jpg

The legacy of "Pitchfork" Ben Tillman has historically been brought up several times in reference to his racist beliefs on Winthrop's campus. From Wikipedia:

Tillman was born near Trenton, South Carolina. He left school in 1864 to join the Army of the Confederate States of America during the American Civil War but was disabled by an illness; he never served in the Confederate Army and lost an eye during treatment. During Reconstruction he became a paramilitary fighter in the struggle to overthrow the interracial Republican coalition in the state and disempower the black majority; he was present at the Hamburg Massacre in July, 1876, during which black Republican activists were murdered by Tillman's fellow "Red-shirts."

Posing as the friend of ordinary white farmers, Tillman began a "Farmers Movement" in the 1880s. He was elected Governor of South Carolina in 1890 and served from December 1890 to December 1894. He helped establish Clemson College and Winthrop College while in office.

He was largely responsible for calling the State constitutional convention in 1895, which disfranchised most of South Carolina's black men through the use of so-called Jim Crow laws. As Tillman proudly proclaimed in 1900, "We have done our level best [to prevent blacks from voting]...we have scratched our heads to find out how we could eliminate the last one of them. We stuffed ballot boxes. We shot them. We are not ashamed of it." (Logan, p. 91)...

He was one of the most outspoken and unapologetic advocates of racism ever to serve in Congress.

This dude made the Strom Thurmond of the 50's and 60's look like Bill Clinton.

"Tillman was born near Trenton, South Carolina. He left school in 1864 to join the Army of the Confederate States of America during the American Civil War but was disabled by an illness; he never served in the Confederate Army and lost an eye during treatment. During Reconstruction he became a paramilitary fighter in the struggle to overthrow the interracial Republican coalition in the state and disempower the black majority; he was present at the Hamburg Massacre in July, 1876, during which black Republican activists were murdered by Tillman's fellow "Red-shirts."

So...he wanted to overthrow the Republicans & disempower the black majority, huh?

And some of you think Republicans are evil! ;)

Maybe if Clemson did away with all of their references to Pitchfork Ben Tillman, they would do a better job of recruiting minority students. Just a thought.

Clemson and Winthrop are considered "sister institutions," and Winthrop's signature building is also called Tillman Hall (and looks better than Clemson's :D)):

tillmaninfall.jpg

tillman.jpg

The legacy of "Pitchfork" Ben Tillman has historically been brought up several times in reference to his racist beliefs on Winthrop's campus. From Wikipedia:

This dude made the Strom Thurmond of the 50's and 60's look like Bill Clinton.

Tillman had a dauter who went to Clemson and one who went to Winthrop he donated both buildings named after him. Tillman is not the only person with a building named after him on both Clemson and Winthrop.

Isn't Poole one of the others?

oh and Clemson Finished the season in the Top 25, They just announced Clemson's 25 ranking.

One thing I will give to Clemson is that they have John C. Calhoun's house on campus. Calhoun was a great South Carolinian and a great American.

Tillman was a beotch though. He shot the editor of The State on Gervais st for publishing bad press on him. Mr Gonzales(sp?) -the editor- has a monument in his honor on Senate & Sumter.

I may have a few shots of USC's campus. I realize now that I'm gone that I don't have very many. Next time Im in Cola I will have to take a few. I'll see about digging those up tomorrow. USC has a great campus. its well integrated into the city, but its not like CofC where you really cant tell if you are on campus or not.

I heard on the news that there is a small chance Clemson and Carolina could play again at the Peach Bowl. I'd really like to see that happen :)

"Tillman was born near Trenton, South Carolina. He left school in 1864 to join the Army of the Confederate States of America during the American Civil War but was disabled by an illness; he never served in the Confederate Army and lost an eye during treatment. During Reconstruction he became a paramilitary fighter in the struggle to overthrow the interracial Republican coalition in the state and disempower the black majority; he was present at the Hamburg Massacre in July, 1876, during which black Republican activists were murdered by Tillman's fellow "Red-shirts."

So...he wanted to overthrow the Republicans & disempower the black majority, huh?

And some of you think Republicans are evil! ;)

During that time, the political party of choice of Blacks was the Republican party, largely because Abraham Lincoln, the author of the Emancipation Proclamation, was Republican and the party afforded former slaves opportunities to occupy political offices. Tillman's opposition to the party wasn't because of ideological differences, but due to his racist viewpoints. In short, the Republican party, as we know it today, is different than the Republican party of the 19th and early 20th centuries in a few respects.

During that time, the political party of choice of Blacks was the Republican party, largely because Abraham Lincoln, the author of the Emancipation Proclamation, was Republican and the party afforded former slaves opportunities to occupy political offices. Tillman's opposition to the party wasn't because of ideological differences, but due to his racist viewpoints. In short, the Republican party, as we know it today, is different than the Republican party of the 19th and early 20th centuries in a few respects.

Thanks Krazee.

As far as pictures are concerned, I have alot of USC campus pictures on my website. Here are a few of my favorites:

The Osborne Administration Building:

usc%20osborne%20admin%20bldg.jpg

The first building on the USC campus on the Horseshoe, begun in 1801

usc%20rutledge%20college%201805.jpg

USC Fitness Center

usc%20fitness%20center%202.jpg

Part of the Horseshoe

usc%20horseshoe%202.jpg

Longstreet Theatre

usc%20longstreet%20theatre.jpg

More Horseshoe pics

usc%20horseshoe%203.jpg

usc%20horseshoe%204.jpg

Capstone House

usc%20capstone%20house.jpg

One of the new "Green Dorms", environmentally friendly

usc%20green%20dorm.jpg

McKissick Museum

mckissick%202.jpg

Mostly campus highrises

usc%20campus%20panorama.jpg

The Greek Village

usc%20greek%20village%202.jpg

Those are some nice pictures of USC, waccamatt. I like the McKissick Museum a lot.

I posted this in another thread, but thought I would post it here also since it is relevant to an earlier discussion...

This article is almost a year old, but it discusses SAT scores and admissions at Clemson, Furman, and USC:

http://greenvilleonline.com/news/2004/12/2...04122855812.htm

One key quote from the article:

"Students can expect their applications to get a hard look if they score below 1130 at Clemson University, 800 at USC or 1200 at Furman University, according to the schools."

I don't intend to detract from all of the fun y'all are having; however, I'd like to pose a more serious question:

Do you believe that the State of South Carolina (Columbia, specifically) should organize a New Years Day/Eve College Bowl Game?

Williams-Brice Stadium is as well-suited to play host to a bowl game as any other current host, isn't it?

It seems to me that all that's missing is an effort to organize a game, seek tie-ins with the major conferences (SEC, ACC, C-USA, and BIG EAST in particular), and to get some sponsorship. I think an ACC vs. C-USA game would be interesting.

I can envision it now: "The BMW Palmetto Bowl" or "The Palmetto Bowl, Sponsored by Michelin" ...

What do y'all think?

Actually, there had been significant discussion to have a Palmetto Bowl in Charleston last year. The plan was to build a brand new Johnson Hagood stadium for The Citadel and the stadium would have increased capacity around 40,000 for a New Year's bowl game called the Palmetto Bowl. Unfortunately, because the NCAA has a boycott on this state because of the Confederate flag, a bowl game will not be done here, and stadium plans went to just tearing down and renovating the current stadium..

I personally think Charleston would be the better place for a bowl game, especially with its tourist attractions. It's like having bowl games in Orlando: everybody wants to go to these bowl games because there is so much to do there before and after the game.

Thanks for the photos, wacamatt! That's a beautiful campus. That Longstreet Theatre reminds me of the Customs House in Charleston. :shok:

As for the NCAA boycot of the State of South Carolina, I have to ask this: Are they going to kick all of the state's schools out of the NCAA, too? Are they going to tell colleges and universities across the country to change their american history text books to re-write the part about the civil war to remove any reference to the South? Come on, people. I don't like what that flag stands for either, but it's part of our history, whether we want to acknowledge it or not. Give me a break, NCAA!

You're probably right that Charleston would make a good host, Charleston native; however, Columbia already has the facility in place. As for the bowl games in Orlando, I've been to quite a few Citrus/CompUSA/CapitalOne Bowl Big-10 vs. SEC matchups where there were still plenty of seats to be sold. Likewise for the Tangerene Bowl, so I'm not sure everybody's flocking to Orlando :P

Great pics! :)

Rutledge College burnt down and was rebuilt in 1805 exactly as it was before. So while it was the first buliding on campus, it is not the oldest. I think DeSaussure (pronounced deh-sa-so) (accross the Horsehoe from Rutledge) holds that title.

USC Fitness Center

actual name: the Strom Thurmond Wellness and Center- which is entirely too long a name

More Horseshoe pics

This is DeSaussure

usc%20horseshoe%203.jpg

Pinkney-Legare (pronounced 'Legree')

usc%20horseshoe%204.jpg

This would be West Quand. Very nice. All of the new buildings at USC are being bult to LEED Silver standards from what I understand. Gotta keep up with Clemson.

usc%20green%20dorm.jpg

Great pics! :)

Rutledge College burnt down and was rebuilt in 1805 exactly as it was before. So while it was the first buliding on campus, it is not the oldest. I think DeSaussure (pronounced deh-sa-so) (accross the Horsehoe from Rutledge) holds that title.

USC Fitness Center

actual name: the Strom Thurmond Wellness and Center- which is entirely too long a name

More Horseshoe pics

This is DeSaussure

usc%20horseshoe%203.jpg

Pinkney-Legare (pronounced 'Legree')

usc%20horseshoe%204.jpg

This would be West Quand. Very nice. All of the new buildings at USC are being bult to LEED Silver standards from what I understand. Gotta keep up with Clemson.

usc%20green%20dorm.jpg

Wow, it sure has changed in 30 years. I attended USC from 1971-74. I lived in Tenement 16 on the Horseshoe, and Bates House. I can barely remember any of it. Most of the new buildings look awful, especially the Darla Moore Business School and the gaudy Frat Row.

Tenement 16? They must have changed that (or else its a very clever joke ;) )

Their goal with the new buildings is to make them resemble the Horseshoe with the colors and presence. The do an ok job of it. I think the bulidings look much better in person. The new Quads are really nice facilities.

Archived