The Best College Rivalry

GvilleSC

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But like I said, Clemson's very existence from its very beginning has been based on a hatred for the part of the state where the Saluda and Broad rivers meet to form the southeastern seaboard with the beautiful Congaree at its center. Ben Pitchfork Tillman ran for governor on the platform of shutting down South Carolina College, as USC was called at the time. It had just become a university with the agriculture school established in lower Richland County, (and they don't call it Richland County for nothing), but then Tillman and his cronies pulled the rug out from under USC and established the agricultural school in red clay country because they hated central South Carolina and any part of South Carolina that was not upcountry enough for them. They all but succeeded in shutting down S.C. College, and it wasn't until the 1920's that what is now known as the University of South Carolina got back on its feet. Clemson has never let up at doing its best to best USC at everything they can best them at. But, depending on what you want to major in there are some things they'll never catch up to USC in.

For the class of 2007...

The Gamecock senior was probably born in 1985.

The Gamecock senior has never been able to experience a win against Clemson as a student.

The Gamecock senior has experienced 11 losing seasons.

The Gamecock senior has lived through 0-11 and 0-21.

The Gamecock senior has only experienced five wins over Clemson in his lifetime.

The Gamecock senior has experienced NCAA investigations and probation.

The Gamecock senior has been alive for his team's only three bowl wins.

The Gamecock senior has always known his team as the Duke of the SEC.

The Gamecock senior has enjoyed a 0.481 percentage since he was born.

The Gamecock senior's first Clemson-Carolina game as a student was 63-17.

The Gamecock senior has never enjoyed a bowl win as a student.

The Gamecock senior has only been able to make one trip to a bowl game as a student.

For the class of 2007...

The Gamecock senior was probably born in 1985.

The Gamecock senior has never been able to experience a win against Clemson as a student.

The Gamecock senior has experienced 11 losing seasons.

The Gamecock senior has lived through 0-11 and 0-21.

The Gamecock senior has only experienced five wins over Clemson in his lifetime.

The Gamecock senior has experienced NCAA investigations and probation.

The Gamecock senior has been alive for his team's only three bowl wins.

The Gamecock senior has always known his team as the Duke of the SEC.

The Gamecock senior has enjoyed a 0.481 percentage since he was born.

The Gamecock senior's first Clemson-Carolina game as a student was 63-17.

The Gamecock senior has never enjoyed a bowl win as a student.

The Gamecock senior has only been able to make one trip to a bowl game as a student.

Let's see, Clemson experienced its glory years of the 1980's because of serious recruiting violations and they were a big reason the NCAA established the death penalty for schools involved with multiple severe infractions.

Clemson plays in Port-o-John Coliseum, one of the smallest arena's at a major college in the country.

Clemson has the most awful school colors in all of college sports...orange and purple.

Clemson will never be the state's flagship university.

But like I said, Clemson's very existence from its very beginning has been based on a hatred for the part of the state where the Saluda and Broad rivers meet to form the southeastern seaboard with the beautiful Congaree at its center. Ben Pitchfork Tillman ran for governor on the platform of shutting down South Carolina College, as USC was called at the time. It had just become a university with the agriculture school established in lower Richland County, (and they don't call it Richland County for nothing), but then Tillman and his cronies pulled the rug out from under USC and established the agricultural school in red clay country because they hated central South Carolina and any part of South Carolina that was not upcountry enough for them. They all but succeeded in shutting down S.C. College, and it wasn't until the 1920's that what is now known as the University of South Carolina got back on its feet. Clemson has never let up at doing its best to best USC at everything they can best them at. But, depending on what you want to major in there are some things they'll never catch up to USC in.

Let's see, Clemson experienced its glory years of the 1980's because of serious recruiting violations and they were a big reason the NCAA established the death penalty for schools involved with multiple severe infractions.

Clemson plays in Port-o-John Coliseum, one of the smallest arena's at a major college in the country.

Clemson has the most awful school colors in all of college sports...orange and purple.

Clemson will never be the state's flagship university.

Fire Tommy, no give him a raise, ok we should fire him this time......fairweather fans.

As for College Gameday, one stupid person with a confederate flag does not represent the whole universtity. I was told by some people who were actually there that he wasn't even a USC fan. Why would he be flying a confederate flag and not a USC flag, or at least have one attached....hmmm? Well it was still unfortunate for the university and state. BTW, the Gameday folks always say how great an experience they are having at every school they go.

Fire Tommy, no give him a raise, ok we should fire him this time......fairweather fans.

As for College Gameday, one stupid person with a confederate flag does not represent the whole universtity. I was told by some people who were actually there that he wasn't even a USC fan. Why would he be flying a confederate flag and not a USC flag, or at least have one attached....hmmm? Well it was still unfortunate for the university and state. BTW, the Gameday folks always say how great an experience they are having at every school they go.

Thats a typical response, but it has no merit what-so-ever. USC fans are by far the most loyal in the country. It doesn't matter how good or bad we are doing, we still sell out the stadium (remember the 0-11 season?). If Clemson is doing bad they don't even show up. And I've seen plenty of Tigers leave by the end of the third quarter. Its not just a USC phenomenon. You take any good game and people stay until the end, same as any other team in the country.

None of them were ranked at the time Clemson played them.

Spartan, your statement is completely wrong -- UNLESS you are refering to South Carolina's fans being the most loyal in their hatred of Clemson. From what I witnessed a couple weeks ago, the "Chicken Coop" seemed to be making more noise about next week's game than the one they were about to lose on national television. I am glad they sell so many tickets, but if, you haven't been to the Midwest or the Northeast to experience college football, you are sounding senseless to me. :P:)

Spartan, your statement is completely wrong -- UNLESS you are refering to South Carolina's fans being the most loyal in their hatred of Clemson. From what I witnessed a couple weeks ago, the "Chicken Coop" seemed to be making more noise about next week's game than the one they were about to lose on national television. I am glad they sell so many tickets, but if, you haven't been to the Midwest or the Northeast to experience college football, you are sounding senseless to me. :P:)

Archived