The Best College Rivalry

GvilleSC

WHAT NAME IS WORSE THAN THE GREENVILLE DRIVE? SOUTH CAROLINA GAMECOCKS!!!!

CLEMSON HAS BEATEN THE GAMECOCKS THE LAST 5 OUT OF 6 YEARS!!!! IT SAYS SO IN THE GREENVILLE NEWS IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME!!!!

GO CLEMSON TIGERS!!!!

I was thinking I read somewhere that it was 7 out of 8 :rolleyes: , but I don't remember... Nonetheless

C-L-E-M in Cadence Count! 1-2-3-4. 1-2-3-4. C-L-E-M-S-O-N T-I-G-E-Rrrr-S! Fight Tigers, Fight Tigers, Fight, Fight, FIGHT!!!

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

C-L-E-M in Cadence Count! 1-2-3-4. 1-2-3-4. C-L-E-M-S-O-N T-I-G-E-Rrrr-S! Fight Tigers, Fight Tigers, Fight, Fight, FIGHT!!!

The taters have spell and count to prove that they aren't decendants of Clem and Clem's son

rampage.jpg

Besides that, I will take my respectable garnet and black over the disorienting and slightly effeminate orange and purple. I like knowing I could wear my colors anywhere and not get laughed at!

clemson_tailgating_19.jpg

...i think this sums up the typical clemson fan quite well...

AWW, HELL YES! But it amazes me that so many hicks and rednecks and hillbillies that go to Clemson can do so well... I believe it was said before that Clemson is one of the highest and was at one time number one in sky box revenue for football stadiums. Also, it's a heck of a lot tougher to get into Clemson. We've got the brains... what can I say and despite it being the highest costing public college in the state, it is only increasing in applicants and people are willing to pay to stay out of Columbia. :thumbsup:

I wouln't call USC-Clemson the "best" rivalry in anything. This state isn't a football state. Yes, we love the sport, but aside from Clemson's winning the nation championship (when was that?), SC isn't known as a football "powerhouse."

More compelling rivalries of note in nearby states are UGA-Ga. Tech, VA. Tech- UVA, FL-FSU, etc... SC has a long way to go to achieve such status. And you'd better believe that if USC hadn't of cracked the top 20 this week, ESPN 2 wouldn't be airing the game. That little fact is telling of how little most people care about this "rivalry".

However, since my favorite school has a close kinship to Clemson, they're who I'll be pulling for.

hahaha i know that guy (by association)...

It is tougher to get into Clemson. They have to make up for their inferiority complex somehow.

Yeah, he's a friend of mine from high school. Talks more trash about USC than anyone i know, so I doubt he'd be ashamed to represent clemson in this one.

clemson is tougher to get in as a general rule, however there are various programs/majors that are tougher at each school. One of my best friends from high school (not the tater above) was pretty dumb, and got denied to USC but accepted to clemson for PRTM, so there are exceptions to everything. They have might have the edge in engineering and agriculture, but our honors college and business school blow theirs out of the water.

Plus I'd rather see beautiful Carolina girls in cocktail dresses than Clemson girls in overalls ;)

I wouln't call USC-Clemson the "best" rivalry in anything. This state isn't a football state. Yes, we love the sport, but aside from Clemson's buying the national championship (when was that?), SC isn't known as a football "powerhouse."

More compelling rivalries of note in nearby states are UGA-Ga. Tech, VA. Tech- UVA, FL-FSU, etc... SC has a long way to go to achieve such status. And you'd better believe that if USC hadn't of cracked the top 20 this week, ESPN 2 wouldn't be airing the game. That little fact is telling of how little most people care about this "rivalry".

However, since my favorite school has a close kinship to Clemson, they're who I'll be pulling for.

Fixed that for you. ;)

I wouln't call USC-Clemson the "best" rivalry in anything. This state isn't a football state. Yes, we love the sport, but aside from Clemson's winning the nation championship (when was that?), SC isn't known as a football "powerhouse."

The national success of the programs does nothing to dull the rivalry between the schools... Fact is, USC-Clemson is a HUGE rivalry. This is a game that completely shakes the entire state up. We don't have pro sports to cheer for so college football is HUGE. It doesn't matter that much outside of SC, but I'd be willing to say that this game is as important to its home state as any other rivalry in college football (I do think the Iron Bowl might edge us out). My hometown is pretty polarized (lots of alums/fans from each school), so it creates such a unique atmosphere during this week, and its one of the things I miss most about living in SC. Sadly, my alma mater (Miami) doesn't have any regular games that create this much excitement. FSU-Miami is big nationally, but I still think that it pales in comparison to the emotion of SC-Clemson...

BTW, GO COCKS!

The national success of the programs does nothing to dull the rivalry between the schools... Fact is, USC-Clemson is a HUGE rivalry. This is a game that completely shakes the entire state up. We don't have pro sports to cheer for so college football is HUGE. It doesn't matter that much outside of SC, but I'd be willing to say that this game is as important to its home state as any other rivalry in college football (I do think the Iron Bowl might edge us out). My hometown is pretty polarized (lots of alums/fans from each school), so it creates such a unique atmosphere during this week, and its one of the things I miss most about living in SC. Sadly, my alma mater (Miami) doesn't have any regular games that create this much excitement. FSU-Miami is big nationally, but I still think that it pales in comparison to the emotion of SC-Clemson...

BTW, GO COCKS!

I agree, the Carolina/Clemson rivalry is indeed huge. I really don't pay attention to many other rivalries outside the state (UNC-Duke basketball may be one exception), and the same probably can be said of other states.

I've participated in the UF-FSU rivalry in one form or another since 1985, so I can speak from experience when I say this... -_-

The USC-Clemson rivalry is at the very least on the same level as that of UF-FSU. I didn't realize it until I moved up here, but it is. It does consume football fans throughout the state of South Carolina beyond anything else that I've seen. The rivalry goes back over 100 years. The players themselves feel so strongly about it that they let their passion get to them a little too much last year. Another facet of this rivalry is the renewed Spurrier vs. Bowden aura that now surrounds it. This should take USC vs. Clemson to yet another level.

Additionally, I believe both schools are on the verge of recruiting some awesome talent and being amongst the elite of college football powerhouses, so it's only going to get better. :thumbsup:

As for that lone Clemson National Championship, I believe that was 1982...but then again, all of you already knew that, whether you're willing to admit it or not! :whistling:

As far as rivalries go though, nothing tops Michigan vs. Ohio State. I've seen some amazing games between those two schools.

For those of you who don't consider this rivalry good or intense or anything above another game, think about this... The rivalry is over 100 years old and this year's game is the 97th consecutive matchup of the two teams on the football field. That's the third longest streak in the Nation! That's tradition right there.

couldn't let the opportunity pass... GO TIGERS!

The USC-Clemson rivalry is as strong as any that you mentioned, and this is most definitely a football state. It certainly isn't a basketball state (like NC). The only reason our rivalry is not as visible and there was difficulty in getting coverage is because SC is much smaller in population than VA, FL, GA. The intensity is still there nonetheless.

For many years Auburn could not hold a candle to Alabama, but it was still a top-league rivalry.

Since I didn't go to either school, I pull for both thoughout the year. In the big game, I support the more deserving team. This year that is Carolina. It should be a great game this year regardless.

I honestly don't see what the comparison is, and if there's an inferiority complex it's from South Carolina's end of things. Why would Clemson have one when:

-Our football team is MUCH better than SC's throughout history, both head-to-head and in overall records (review the "This is South Carolina Football" piece I posted earlier in this thread if you need to)

-It is much tougher to get into Clemson (Average SAT this year of around 1250, and consistently ranked much higher than SC by U.S. News, Princeton Review, etc., as well as consistently the best public school in the state)

So other than posting a random picture of a redneck in overalls, and saying that we're a "farm school in the middle of nowhere," you've got nothing. And last time I checked, a large part of your campus and stadium are in horrible areas.

Next.

Also, my score prediction for tomorrow night is Clemson 31-13.

Since when did a Northeastern U.S. media corporation like ESPN care about anything in this state anyway? <_< I guarantee that when media outlets decided not to air the game, they pissed off about 3/4's of the state. Many people at least in this state pay attention to this game, even if their teams aren't doing well. ESPN2 carried the game because the media infuriated a 3,000,000-person audience. Which in turn, pisses off advertisers.

I honestly don't see what the comparison is, and if there's an inferiority complex it's from South Carolina's end of things. Why would Clemson have one when:

-Our football team is MUCH better than SC's throughout history, both head-to-head and in overall records (review the "This is South Carolina Football" piece I posted earlier in this thread if you need to)

-It is much tougher to get into Clemson (Average SAT this year of around 1250, and consistently ranked much higher than SC by U.S. News, Princeton Review, etc., as well as consistently the best public school in the state)

So other than posting a random picture of a redneck in overalls, and saying that we're a "farm school in the middle of nowhere," you've got nothing. And last time I checked, a large part of your campus and stadium are in horrible areas.

Next.

Also, my score prediction for tomorrow night is Clemson 31-13.

If by large part you mean the stadium, then yeah, I can agree.

However- USC's campus is by far the better of the two. And if you are posting on this forum and you have a strong appreciation for urban settings, you should agree with me. Clemson's campus is not very appealing to me. It has a lot of greenspace that is not used at all. The only place I ever see being used is Bowman field. Now there may be some other place, but for the most part its just a huge waste of space. They have a 'Horseshoe' like area near the center of campus that used to be their drill field back in the military school days that could be really great, but the trees are so thick that its pretty much all dirt, and its fairly unattractive if you ask me. And God forbid they use a freaking leaf-blower on their sidewalks! You'd think that with all the emptiness they could kinf a place to blow the leaves.

As for Clemson's elitist admission policy here is what I think- It sucks. I admit that I did not do particularly well on the SATs, but I graduated HS with honors, and I was determined to go to Clemson anyway. So I applied there. Clemson basicly told me I wasnt good enough for them because of that SAT thing. USC, on the other hand, gave me a chance. They said sure, come on down. If it were not for USC giving me the opportunity to prove myself academically, I would not be up to Clemson's elitist "standards" today. I think Clemson likes to brag that their SAT scores make them smarter, but in the long run, they mean jack crap. I am living proof of that. Besides there is only a 99 point difference between 1151 and 1250. Clemson goes against the grain when it comes to the goal of providing a college education to the state. USC embraces it, particularly with their 8 regional campuses like USC Upstate, Aiken, Sumter, etc. It also has 350 degree programs. If you want to have options, you go to USC. All of this is what makes it a better place.

USC also is a premier institute for international business (#1 undergrad and #2 grad -which is 45th in the world), hydrogen fuel cell technology, nanotechnology, and our geography/GIS program is also nationally recognized. The latter 3 are all listed as the top 3 sectors for job growth in America. I wont regurgitate all of USC's academic achievments, but you can read about them here if you are interested in learning more. The Innovista campus is being integrated into the USC campus and creating a alot of infill development that will be geared towards nanoscience and fuelcell research.

Clemson on the other hand is finally embracing the automobile with ICAR being built 20 miles up the road in Greenville because of their location in the middle of nowhere. Now don't get me wrong, I want to see this thing succeed- but lets face it, the car was invented almost 100 years ago. Its a late start for Clemson.

So go ahead Klempson, brag about your 1250. :)

Archived