Burnside Park

AriPVD

Agreed, we do need a train/metro station here. I believe that with the plans coming along with the commuter rail system extending through Rhode Island and better ridership with RIPTA, we may well see some lawmakers start thinking about the Providence Station and it's relationship with Kennedy Plaza. I'd hope for the merging of both public transit stations into one over-all complex.

And almost an afterthought: Hey guys. I've been a lurker for months now, but now I'm ready to jump in. Here's to a fun introduction :P . My name's Aaron. I'm 19, a Psychology/Poli Sci double-major at CCRI (Transfering to URI next Fall), and I work at the RI Statehouse as the intern to House Majority Leader Gordon Fox, so I guess I hear some cool stuffs through the grapevine with those crazy politicians. I'm gay and involved in the local gay scene and an enviornmentalist. Love Waterfire, et al. There's my famous introduction, looking forward to meeting some of you'se guys at an UP meeting to discuss issues with the capital city.

I'll be posting often enough now that I finally made an account...

welcome... i'm sure you could provide some great insight into things working at the state house. :)

i was thinking about the train station more along the lines of a train station and bus station for buses like greyhound and bonanza, not ripta. personally, i don't like kennedy plaza to begin with because it's just not necessary to have a hub for ripta. there should be several stops that are major transfer points, and yes, downtown should be one of them, but there should be one on olneyville, on the east side, in pawtucket, on the southside, and maybe north providence and east providence. having everything go through kennedy plaza is just not a good way to get anywhere.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had thought about something like that awhile back. I thought it might be viable (Without thinking of the money situation in Rhode Island) to have mini hubs/transfer points at major RI gateways. Say, in downcity Providence, Warwick, Newport, Pawtucket, and throw one or two down in SOuth County (Ever try using RIPTA for a day in one of the 'gansett beaches? Nightmare.). Then, have express buss (Or perhaps an offshoot of that wonderful commuter rail) that leave regularly from each mini hub bound for the others.

If I wanna go from Newport to a Narragansett beach, I cannot justify having to ride all the way up to Providence, then down the otherside of the bay to South County.

But....I think we need a few more tax dollars beofre something like that could happen =)

I had thought about something like that awhile back. I thought it might be viable (Without thinking of the money situation in Rhode Island) to have mini hubs/transfer points at major RI gateways. Say, in downcity Providence, Warwick, Newport, Pawtucket, and throw one or two down in SOuth County (Ever try using RIPTA for a day in one of the 'gansett beaches? Nightmare.). Then, have express buss (Or perhaps an offshoot of that wonderful commuter rail) that leave regularly from each mini hub bound for the others.

If I wanna go from Newport to a Narragansett beach, I cannot justify having to ride all the way up to Providence, then down the otherside of the bay to South County.

But....I think we need a few more tax dollars beofre something like that could happen =)

It would make more sense to do it that way.. Why not put the other SC hub in Westerly?

I think a decent rail line with frequent stops might be a good backbone for a reinvigorated RIPTA. They could use each stop as a hub from which to build around.

Archived