Burnside Park

AriPVD

Hey all-

well i just wanted to say that this weekend, me and my gf went to NYC...i was comparing NY to RI.. and theres too much to say because theyre both different cities... but i came across an idea when i was in the rockafella center... and it seems like we have similar envoirments... just no waterfall... but i think something like that here would look great... we need a place where ppl can take pictures, we need a signature monument. ..... give me your thoughts

waterplace park? actually the city could do something really cool (although probably very expensive) and build a skating rink above the river in the winter... how sweet would that be? granted, it's not as surroundedby buildings as rockefeller center, but it'd be the only place i can think of like you describe. waterplace park is the signature park of downtown providence.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

waterplace park? actually the city could do something really cool (although probably very expensive) and build a skating rink above the river in the winter... how sweet would that be? granted, it's not as surroundedby buildings as rockefeller center, but it'd be the only place i can think of like you describe. waterplace park is the signature park of downtown providence.

HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wacko:

Hey all-

...i was comparing NY to RI.. and theres too much to say because theyre both different cities...

I am sick and tired of people from NYC comparing their city to Providence. Especially college kids. They'll usually say something like "Providence ain't nothing". "Providence has nothing over New York". I guess it's pretty difficult to compare a city of 173,000 to one of 8 million a$$holes. I wonder if during his trip Spanishboy could remember seeing the mound of garbage and emotionally distrubed persons (edp's @ NYPD) on Manhatten streets as he has seen on Providence streets.

I believe the fountain in Waterplace Park once flowed, but a mechincal problem stopped it, and was supposed to be fixed, but never was.

I am sick and tired of people from NYC comparing their city to Providence. Especially college kids. They'll usually say something like "Providence ain't nothing". "Providence has nothing over New York". I guess it's pretty difficult to compare a city of 173,000 to one of 8 million a$$holes. I wonder if during his trip Spanishboy could remember seeing the mound of garbage and emotionally distrubed persons (edp's @ NYPD) on Manhatten streets as he has seen on Providence streets.

I believe the fountain in Waterplace Park once flowed, but a mechincal stopped it, and was supposed to be fixed, but never was.

i wasn't trying to compare the 2. but between boston and new york, i think providence is more comparable to new york.

i have actually been bothered more by those people in providence than in new york, and i used to spend a ton of time there. i was actually followed for a couple blocks here by a bum trying to get money out of us.

i do think spanishboy failed to see how waterplace park is the signature "monument" of the downtown area...

spanishboy also said enough with "there's too much to say because they're both different cities"

i wasn't trying to compare the 2. but between boston and new york, i think providence is more comparable to new york.

i have actually been bothered more by those people in providence than in new york, and i used to spend a ton of time there. i was actually followed for a couple blocks here by a bum trying to get money out of us.

i do think spanishboy failed to see how waterplace park is the signature "monument" of the downtown area...

spanishboy also said enough with "there's too much to say because they're both different cities"

The ONLY cities that one should be trying to compare NYC with are, Tokyo, London, Chicago and Los Angles.

I guess it's pretty difficult to compare a city of 173,000 to one of 8 million a$$holes. I wonder if during his trip Spanishboy could remember seeing the mound of garbage and emotionally distrubed persons (edp's @ NYPD) on Manhatten streets as he has seen on Providence streets.

I used to be one of those 8 million assholes. I take it you haven't been to New York in a while, it's providence that has the mounds of garbage, not Manhattan. And you also haven't been to Kennedy Plaza in a while if you think Providence hasn't cornered the market on emotionally disturbed people.

I used to be one of those 8 million assholes too, and later was one of a million or so assholes in Boston. And now I am one of Providence's 173,000 assholes. Truth is, geography has nothing to do with being an asshole. They are everywhere.

Providence and NYC are not comparable. We are not in the same tier, and we should not be. Providence and Hartford, Worcester, etc are comparable.

I used to be one of those 8 million assholes too, and later was one of a million or so assholes in Boston. And now I am one of Providence's 173,000 assholes. Truth is, geography has nothing to do with being an asshole. They are everywhere.

Providence and NYC are not comparable. We are not in the same tier, and we should not be. Providence and Hartford, Worcester, etc are comparable.

boston's actually only about half a million assholes, it just feels like more. :whistling:

providence and nyc are comparable if you look closely enough.

boston's actually only about half a million assholes, it just feels like more. :whistling:

providence and nyc are comparable if you look closely enough.

581,616 in the city of boston in 2003. But I was lumping the other side of the charles in there too. Everyone else does (except those that live in cambridge :) )when they think of Boston.

Anyway, I really dont think there is a comparision between NYC and Providence. Can you elaborate?

One can certainly be in Rockefeller Center and think how it relates to Providence. As long as one relizes that Providence will never have anything *just* like Rockefeller Center. When comparing, you just need to translate the scale, I don't see what's so hard about that.

581,616 in the city of boston in 2003. But I was lumping the other side of the charles in there too. Everyone else does (except those that live in cambridge :) )when they think of Boston.

Anyway, I really dont think there is a comparision between NYC and Providence. Can you elaborate?

if you take the numbers for new york, then you can add in the surrounding cities as well... making it over 10 million. if you count the population of hte city proper, it's only 8 mil.

comparison between NYC and providence... yes, it's a smaller scale and different league/class of city. but look at what providence has to offer compared to what new york as to offer as far as night life and arts/entertainment. it's quite similar but on a much smaller scale. hell, even our little italy is pretty comparable in size to new york's mulberry st. we have restaurants that can compete with the best of new york's (especially with italian food). we don't have broadway, but the PPAC and trinity/black reps do a pretty good job at having the theatre needed in a city of our size. we have quite the nightlife, but again, smaller scale. and one of the most important things, we have a large population of progressively minded individuals, something that other new england cities (not mentioning any names here) severely lack. we also have quite a few decent bands coming through. being a jamband fan myself, there's a bunch coming through in the next few months. the only thing that would make the music scene better is for places like the call and lupos to stop closing (i don't like the lupos/strand/diesel setup, a music venue should be separate from a nightclub so that you can have bands playing well into the night on the weekends).

if you take the numbers for new york, then you can add in the surrounding cities as well... making it over 10 million. if you count the population of hte city proper, it's only 8 mil.

comparison between NYC and providence... yes, it's a smaller scale and different league/class of city. but look at what providence has to offer compared to what new york as to offer as far as night life and arts/entertainment. it's quite similar but on a much smaller scale. hell, even our little italy is pretty comparable in size to new york's mulberry st. we have restaurants that can compete with the best of new york's (especially with italian food). we don't have broadway, but the PPAC and trinity/black reps do a pretty good job at having the theatre needed in a city of our size. we have quite the nightlife, but again, smaller scale. and one of the most important things, we have a large population of progressively minded individuals, something that other new england cities (not mentioning any names here) severely lack. we also have quite a few decent bands coming through. being a jamband fan myself, there's a bunch coming through in the next few months. the only thing that would make the music scene better is for places like the call and lupos to stop closing (i don't like the lupos/strand/diesel setup, a music venue should be separate from a nightclub so that you can have bands playing well into the night on the weekends).

I'm not sure how any of this associates Providence more with New York than Boston. to me, the only correlary between New York and Providence is the deco style of the superman building matching up with the Chrysler and ESB.

Otherwise, Providence's architechture and history are all New England.

I'm not sure how any of this associates Providence more with New York than Boston. to me, the only correlary between New York and Providence is the deco style of the superman building matching up with the Chrysler and ESB.

Otherwise, Providence's architechture and history are all New England.

boston lacks the diversity found in new york and providence. i have also found less culture in boston than providence and new york.

What cities outside of New England is PVD comparable to?

I've asked this question in earnest in the past several times and what I got back in return was answers concerning large metroploitan areas unlike Providence. Some people here only see metro areas and not cities themselves. Providence can easily be compared to Hartford but other try to equate us to larger metro/regional areas.

:rofl::rofl: It was very funny last night at work at how quickly the red sox fans turned on Johnny Damon when the Yankee offer was announced. Suddenly he was a no good outfielder with a weak arm. :)

i'm a yankee fan *ducks*

i'm not a damon fan. i'm not sure i like him on the yankees, i don't know if he'll fit the mentality...

but that's one thing i can't stand about red sox fans...

I've asked this question in earnest in the past several times and what I got back in return was answers concerning large metroploitan areas unlike Providence. Some people here only see metro areas and not cities themselves. Providence can easily be compared to Hartford but other try to equate us to larger metro/regional areas.

one city (even though it's much larger) i have had the pleasure of spending time in is philadelphia. it has the same feel to me that providence does. a relatively small downtown area and lots of neighborhoods. it has strong neighborhood communities, much like providence does, and it's similar in what it has to offer, but obviously on a larger scale.

I take it you haven't been to New York in a while, it's providence that has the mounds of garbage, not Manhattan. And you also haven't been to Kennedy Plaza in a while if you think Providence hasn't cornered the market on emotionally disturbed people.

So where are these mounds of garbage that you speak of!? Besides garbage day!? If your talking about Federal Hill then can I assume your mentioning garbage collection day? I don't see them downcity like I've seen them in midtown Manhatten and elsewhere. I've never seen piles of garbage in Toronto like I've seen in NY. And of course there are homeless people downcity, but like in NY!???????? I don't think so.

Archived