AriPVD

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey Cotuit.. do u think u get a picture of ROCKERFELLER CENTER* :blush:

I don't have any, but here's some from Flickr:

8228525_3d92f0baf6.jpg

link

I like that it becomes an open air restaurant in the summer ( a good one two, I had a free meal there once :P )

75419908_d827cc45c9.jpg

link

I could see something being built along the Biltmore side of the Skating Center. Not filling in the entire park, but some sort of restaurant or something would be nice, create a wall for that side of the Skating Center. I noticed today that there was a banner up for Cardi's Furniture along the staircase. I don't mind advertising at the Skating Center, but I think the staircase should remain ad free, let the rink be ringed with ads like a hockey rink. The view from the rink up the stairs to the Providence Foundation should not be marred with ads.

I don't have any, but here's some from Flickr:

I like that it becomes an open air restaurant in the summer ( a good one two, I had a free meal there once :P )

I could see something being built along the Biltmore side of the Skating Center. Not filling in the entire park, but some sort of restaurant or something would be nice, create a wall for that side of the Skating Center. I noticed today that there was a banner up for Cardi's Furniture along the staircase. I don't mind advertising at the Skating Center, but I think the staircase should remain ad free, let the rink be ringed with ads like a hockey rink. The view from the rink up the stairs to the Providence Foundation should not be marred with ads.

i want some comped meals dammit!

the crowd at rockefeller looks the same size as the fleet center... :) however, i bet there's also a line to get onto the rockefeller center rink...

spanishboy, what's your obsession with rockefeller center? i'm trying to figure this out... and how it compares to burnside park... since they're both very different type areas.

I believe the fountain in Waterplace Park once flowed, but a mechincal problem stopped it, and was supposed to be fixed, but never was.

No - the fountain was turned off because sewerage overflows pollute Waterplace Park and the fountain was causing the pollutants in the water to be sprayed into the air "aerosol" fashion. The fountain was shut down per DEM orders.

No - the fountain was turned off because sewerage overflows pollute Waterplace Park and the fountain was causing the pollutants in the water to be sprayed into the air "aerosol" fashion. The fountain was shut down per DEM orders.

Interesting... does anyone know of plans to restore it? Barring a huge price tag, that and taking down Burnside's fence, seem like a no-brainer.

Alix Ogden (sp?) if you out there and able to comment, I'm sure we'd all love to hear it. Thanks!

PVDJack

Interesting... does anyone know of plans to restore it? Barring a huge price tag, that and taking down Burnside's fence, seem like a no-brainer.

Alix Ogden (sp?) if you out there and able to comment, I'm sure we'd all love to hear it. Thanks!

PVDJack

The last I heard, once the CSO (Combined Sewer Overflow) tunneling project is completed, the fountain may be restored. I think it was actually removed from the basin, but I'm not sure on that. We'll just have to wait and see...

runawayjim... i have no obssesion with rockerfeller, see i dont know about you, but dont you ever walk around downtown and wish the things we have were greater. Now PVD has its jewels of course, but i think we have so much more potential and have the chance to become a greater city. Now my example was burnside park.... this place can use so much, it's nice now, but adding a few more ideas, and this place can rock.

runawayjim... i have no obssesion with rockerfeller, see i dont know about you, but dont you ever walk around downtown and wish the things we have were greater. Now PVD has its jewels of course, but i think we have so much more potential and have the chance to become a greater city. Now my example was burnside park.... this place can use so much, it's nice now, but adding a few more ideas, and this place can rock.

fixing up the fountain in burnside park, along with removing the fence around the park will make it 100x better. it would also require the cleaning up of kennedy plaza. waterplace park is one of the real jewels of providence. the riverwalk as well. who needs a whole lot more? i think a big problem is that a lot of the really nice parks are surrounded by fences that really keep people out. why is there a fence along the prospect hill park? why is there one around burnside park? it makes them less inviting.

remember, providence is a small city. we don't need "great" things, just things that make providence providence. have you ever walked under that "tunnel" by waterplace park over towards union station and capital grille? it's got all the tiles made by students as a memorial for 9/11. it's pretty neat in my opinion. big statues don't make a city. downtown would be no more a destination if there were big statues in burnside park.

There seems to be some fountain confusion here.

The fountain in Burnside Park is very much in working order, in fact last year *someone* (I'm blaming RISD students) put soap in it making huge suds blow around the park (it was really cool actually).

The fountain in the Basin at Waterplace is not working. That is the one that was pulled due to environmental contaminants, and hopefully can be restored once the storm water project is complete.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

fixing up the fountain in burnside park, along with removing the fence around the park will make it 100x better.

Do you remember how bad the park was before the fence went up? It was disgusting. The grass was dead and trash was literally everywhere. The fence stopped people from trampling the park and greatly improved it's look. One of it's purposes is to force people to use the pathways in the park and it's working. No, the fence should stay. I would be open to ideas on improving the look of it perhaps, but removing it is a bad idea. It's nice to think people wouldn't go back to destroying the park so they could cut through it, but that's not going to happen. The Public Garden in Boston is fenced in and trampling is just one of the reasons why.

• 3 months later...

I wasn't sure where to put these, but I remember we had a discussion about the removal of the jersey barriers around the federal buildings near Burnside/Kennedy Plaza.

Well they are putting on the decorative covers and they look nice. The covers are metal and look quite rugged. I'm glad they didn

Its nice to see the fountian working.

i noticed this the other day. i was almost in shock. :P

I'm not sure why there is so much confusion about this (maybe some people need to get Downtown more often :whistling: ) but the Burnside Fountain has been on the last two summers (at least). Its been running since early spring.

federalPosts1.JPG

Here they are up close(ish), I find it odd that the covers don't sit flush (or closer) to the sidewalk.

You are for sure on a federal database after taking those photos, there's cameras all over the place there. I'm surprised you weren't shot!

This morning crews were working on securing the covers to the ground, I think they will sit flush.

You are for sure on a federal database after taking those photos, there's cameras all over the place there. I'm surprised you weren't shot!

It was worth the risk for UP :)

This morning crews were working on securing the covers to the ground, I think they will sit flush.

That will be good. Glad to hear it.

Does anyone know what the plan for Kennedy Plaza is? What I mean by that is if all these high end residences and upscale restaurants are coming in, is the city going to keep the bus stop there?

I think the trolleys and ripta are fine having a stop there but with the Greyhound and Bonanza type busses there, it just makes it an uinviting place to look at or walk through for that matter.

So I was just curious if they were going to move the bus stop somewhere else.

Does anyone know what the plan for Kennedy Plaza is? What I mean by that is if all these high end residences and upscale restaurants are coming in, is the city going to keep the bus stop there?

I think the trolleys and ripta are fine having a stop there but with the Greyhound and Bonanza type busses there, it just makes it an uinviting place to look at or walk through for that matter.

So I was just curious if they were going to move the bus stop somewhere else.

we need a train/bus station like other cities in our class... new haven... hartford... even boston.

Agreed, we do need a train/metro station here. I believe that with the plans coming along with the commuter rail system extending through Rhode Island and better ridership with RIPTA, we may well see some lawmakers start thinking about the Providence Station and it's relationship with Kennedy Plaza. I'd hope for the merging of both public transit stations into one over-all complex.

And almost an afterthought: Hey guys. I've been a lurker for months now, but now I'm ready to jump in. Here's to a fun introduction :P . My name's Aaron. I'm 19, a Psychology/Poli Sci double-major at CCRI (Transfering to URI next Fall), and I work at the RI Statehouse as the intern to House Majority Leader Gordon Fox, so I guess I hear some cool stuffs through the grapevine with those crazy politicians. I'm gay and involved in the local gay scene and an enviornmentalist. Love Waterfire, et al. There's my famous introduction, looking forward to meeting some of you'se guys at an UP meeting to discuss issues with the capital city.

I'll be posting often enough now that I finally made an account...

Agreed, we do need a train/metro station here. I believe that with the plans coming along with the commuter rail system extending through Rhode Island and better ridership with RIPTA, we may well see some lawmakers start thinking about the Providence Station and it's relationship with Kennedy Plaza. I'd hope for the merging of both public transit stations into one over-all complex.

And almost an afterthought: Hey guys. I've been a lurker for months now, but now I'm ready to jump in. Here's to a fun introduction :P . My name's Aaron. I'm 19, a Psychology/Poli Sci double-major at CCRI (Transfering to URI next Fall), and I work at the RI Statehouse as the intern to House Majority Leader Gordon Fox, so I guess I hear some cool stuffs through the grapevine with those crazy politicians. I'm gay and involved in the local gay scene and an enviornmentalist. Love Waterfire, et al. There's my famous introduction, looking forward to meeting some of you'se guys at an UP meeting to discuss issues with the capital city.

I'll be posting often enough now that I finally made an account...

Welcome Statesman. I'm sure I speak for all of us on this board when I say that we look forward to any information you can share from our friends in the Statehouse.

Archived