The Top 50 U.S. City Slogans

sunshine

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The one forgotten that i really like (even though its not really witty like the others) is Portland's... The City that Works! (its all over their city vehicles and such)... Its the truth! That city really does WORK! No joke...

But, I like Walla Walla's... :rofl:

Although very trite, the traditional nicknames of Indianapolis are

"The Crossroads of America" and the "Racing Capital of the World".

Growing up in nearby A-town (Anderson), we used to call Indy "the circle city" or "end-of-no-place."

I've always liked "Nashvegas" for Nashville. Speaks to our funky, glittery, rhinestone side.

9. City with Sol. San Diego, CA

Where the hell did that come from? I've lived here for almost 20 years and have never ever heard that (clever though it may be) it has always been "Americas Finest City" which I find a bit presumptuous-but pretty close.

I got San Diego's motto from Ron Burgandy . . . something about a Whale, translation lost to history etc. etc. :P

Because Columbia SC is so dark (no street lights on any freeways or exits, very few in-town street lights), it's sometimes called "The City That's Not Too Bright".

But I think the name "The Big Midway" is better. Besides being in the middle of the state, in the middle of the East Coast (midway between NY and FLA), it reflects the carnival good-times atmosphere.

It's also called COOLumbia.

• 2 weeks later...

I've never heard of Crunkville for Charlotte...Always the Queen City...

And I'm from Columbia and you are right....We are the darkest city I've ever been seen....You should see the amount of accidents we have in the same areas on the freeways because its so freakin dark..Absolutley NO street lights on the freeways and its dark on the main roads throughout the city...You can miss your turn in the blink of an eye...

• 2 weeks later...

I've always liked "Boston: The Athens of America" or Chicago: The City of Broad Shoulders." Chicago's seems like it fits. I've never really been there but I imagine it to exemplify the brawn, hard work and mindset of the midwestern US.

I know it's off-topic, but I think we can mostly agree that the best state motto is "New Hampshire: Live Free or Die."

I do a lot of work with the Sacramento convention and visitors bureau. They used to have the motto "Sacramento, gateway to the gold country" I kept telling them that motto was telling people to come here and leave for somewhere else.

Well, they finally changed it. they did not take my suggestion though. The new motto is "Sacramento, discover Gold" Doesn't that sound like a PR firm!!!

My suggestion is still not used, tell me what you think,

"Sacramento, Not as bad as you would think"

Ok, so maybe it would not sell either LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Archived