Pittsburgh aiming for world's first naming-rights airport!

PghUSA

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05319/606553.stm

Looks like a county councilman is floating the idea of selling naming rights to IAP (my little nickname for us, hey if Dulles can do it we can too!). It would be the first airport in the world to have naming rights revenue, another world's first for the 'burgh! As long as its done with some class I think landing at American Eagle International Airport or Iron City International Airport would be A W E S O M E!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05319/606553.stm

Looks like a county councilman is floating the idea of selling naming rights to IAP (my little nickname for us, hey if Dulles can do it we can too!). It would be the first airport in the world to have naming rights revenue, another world's first for the 'burgh! As long as its done with some class I think landing at American Eagle International Airport or Iron City International Airport would be A W E S O M E!

I've always felt that the three-letter airport code for Pittsburgh should be PGH. In fact, I think PGH is the code for the train station. PIT does not bring up good connotations.

As for why Dulles is IAD, its because neither it nor Reagan Airport (DCA) can use WAS since the "W" codes in the US are reserved for broadcast stations. Similarly, no US airport can use a "K" code (thus Kansas City's airport is MCI). Also no US airport can use an "N" code since "N" is reserved for airplane registration numbers. Thus Newark airport is "EWR". As for why Houston's Bush Intercontinental Airport is IAH, its because HOU is being used for Houston Hobby airport.

By the way, originally Dulles was to be called DIA but it was considered too confusing due to the proximity of DCA (Washington National - now Reagan) so it became IAD. Also, Denver's new airport was to be called DIA but they decided instead to jsut transfer the code from Stapleton (now closed) to the new Denver International (DEN).

There have been very few code changes. One significant one was when Idlewild Airport in NYC (IDL) became JFK Airport and hade its code changed to JFK. Also, I think BWI, back when it was jsut simply Baltimore International, used the BAL code.

I don't mind them doing this as long as it's done, as you said, with some class. And I really hope we don't wind up with a stupid name. I'd like to see a well respected company buy the naming rights, something that'll make the city seem, well, classy. Bayer, Mellon, something like that. I'd feel silly if it was GNC or Heinz. Not that those aren't good companies, but it doesn't have the same classy sound to it.

You have me stuck on the word classy now :P

Edit: Just found this editorial on the topic. Makes some good points.

Sun heard Vegas was delay hell with security lines, they need all the "goodwill" they can get :P.

Urban, that was some great info on those airports, really enlightening. I saw that the PGH is taken by an airport in India, maybe a trade is in order. ;)

Gerbil, the only "big" company that I would be against naming the airport is Dicks . . . but then again we might get some major trade in the Spring Break girls flying here instead of Cancun or Panama City . . . man I'm bad :P

Archived