Spartanburg Memorial Auditorium Upgrade

hub-city

The Spartanburg Auditorium unveiled an expansion plan yesterday to city council. It would include a 600 space parking deck with 60,000 sq ft of flex space on top, and also a 50,000 sq. ft exhibit hall with a walkway connecting to the marriott. This is naturally the first step of a dream, because it is a 27 million dollar project. They are floating the concept out in hopes of securing some funds, so naturally it is not a "done" deal, but it is a neat dream. Check the link below for more info.

http://www.goupstate.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art.../511150364/1062

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also think that it is a great proposal, but don't think that the city or county will be able to put too much into the pot. The city can put is some hospitality monies but that would add up to much.. I don't know what the county could do. It kills me with all the vocal negative people we have in Spartanburg. They want everything and don't want to pay for anything. I think there are some that believe they paid for the Marriott personally. I gladly eat downtown because I know that the measly 2% added goes to tourism related ventures.

I wish they could do something with the bank and tower that sits between the marriott and the railroad tracks. I think it would be cool to put the big parking deck there. Then they could tear down the old Krispy Kreme, straighten out Memorial drive to line up with Alba ct, use the two new buildings for exhibit space connecting them on an upper leval so trucks could still go under to the back of the auditorium. Then from the relocated parking deck, you could bridge one side to the Marriott and the other to the new auditorium buildings. Of course a good walk down a nice sidewalk isn't that bad either.

In any case, I'm glad to see some people looking forward to bigger and brighter days.

It seems that NIMBYism is rampant in Spartanburg, unless its a new big box store on the other side of town.

What holds Spartanburg back is the exact problem that hub-city stated. The reason that Greenville is so successful is that they have a vision, and aren't afraid to do what it takes to make that happen. This project alone would give us an asset that Greenville can't match- an expo center downtown.

I Agree that Alba Ct and Memorial Dr should be straightened. I actually think that Memorial drive should be made into a more significant road somehow. It just doesn't seem very 'official' when you drive back there from Church St. If that makes any sense.

And while we're changing things, why not tear down the County Admin building and put anything else there? It doesn't matter what. The County could build some kind of useful and attractive civic structure... now I wonder where they could find a large and empty tract of land in downtown to do that?

Its a good thing they are going to build that walkway to the hotel though. I'd hate for someone to have to walk on the sidewalks. [/sarcasm]

I personally think that this is great for spartanburg. This could be a catalyst to bring so much more to our downtown, but this alone would be huge. I can only imagine all of the events that could be held there with it being tied to the hotel and all. Not to mention the hotel is within walking distance of both the new cultural center and Barnett Park. If this project goes through it might spur the rest of the development along in Renaissance Park. I agree with the suggestion to raze the county offices. I hate those things. Something really nice could be built there and it would be right across from the auditorium. Maybe a nice development with condos and upscale dining and a nice water feature.

Speaking about condos and apartments, if I had the money I would build a new tower across the street from the QS-1 building on top of that empty parking lot. I think it's the lot for the police station, but it is never filled.

And while we're changing things, why not tear down the County Admin building and put anything else there? It doesn't matter what. The County could build some kind of useful and attractive civic structure... now I wonder where they could find a large and empty tract of land in downtown to do that?

A good place to relocate the county offices would be the old mill on Pine Street that they started renovating for the racing museum (before it fell through). Since textiles are big part of our history, it would serve to preserve that as well. Have they revived the racing museum? Has anything been announced for the mill?

I think that some sort of atheltic conference HQ is located on the upper floor of that building. That would be a good location. My only concern is that its not very convenient to walk to that part of town. I like the idea of having public buildings as anchors to areas that need pedestrian activity.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems that NIMBYism is rampant in Spartanburg, unless its a new big box store on the other side of town.

What holds Spartanburg back is the exact problem that hub-city stated. The reason that Greenville is so successful is that they have a vision, and aren't afraid to do what it takes to make that happen. This project alone would give us an asset that Greenville can't match- an expo center downtown.

Its a good thing they are going to build that walkway to the hotel though. I'd hate for someone to have to walk on the sidewalks. [/sarcasm]

i agree with what u just said 150%... ditto

• 2 years later...

I bumped this thread up because I went by Krispy Kreme and the plan they have on the wall is actually the auditorium expansion plan. It does show the Alba Ct. realignment, but it is more tied to the auditorium and not something that looks to be happening on it's own.

The drawing in the 2nd post of this thread from Spartan is the one in Krispy Kreme. (for reference)

Archived