Auburn Avenue Tops Most Endangred Historic Places

ironchapman

I'm sure the AJC will have something on this, but this was the first one I found on it.

The Auburn Avenue historic district topped the list of most endangered historic places in Georgia on a list from the Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation. Throughout the 1920's-1950's it was home to many thriving black-owned businesses. The 1 1/2 mile long stretch of the street wasn't called the "Richest Negro Street in the World" for nothing. Many of the middle class and wealthy black families left the neighborhood after deseregation in the 1960's. Now crime and homelessness fill the street of this once great neighborhood. Of course, there are several activist groups trying to save it.

Perhaps placing it on this list might get more people's attention.

See Article (Seattle Post-Intelligencer)

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure the AJC will have something on this, but this was the first one I found on it.

The Auburn Avenue historic district topped the list of most endangered historic places in Georgia on a list from the Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation. Throughout the 1920's-1950's it was home to many thriving black-owned businesses. The 1 1/2 mile long stretch of the street wasn't called the "Richest Negro Street in the World" for nothing. Many of the middle class and wealthy black families left the neighborhood after deseregation in the 1960's. Now crime and homelessness fill the street of this once great neighborhood. Of course, there are several activist groups trying to save it.

Perhaps placing it on this list might get more people's attention.

See Article (Seattle Post-Intelligencer)

I thought I'd read that Big Bethel had bought up a lot of the property along Sweet Auburn and was planning on tearing it down and putting in some nice condos. I might be mistaken but I was also thinking that the Integral Group was doing a big project in that vicinity. We used to occasionally stroll down to the Auburn Ave. Rib Shack but I will have to admit that area is getting somewhat run down.

Archived