Yankee or Dixie?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Are you Yankee or Dixie?

• Yankee
    • Dixie

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

67% Dixie. I think some of the questions are bogus however. While terminology is important, I think dialect is far more indicative of what region of the country you hail from. P.S. Thank God I am not a Yankee. :D

Amen to that! :thumbsup: I scored 64%. "A definitive Southern score!" I've never thought that I had a Southern accent, but my friends in Colorado say that occasionally, it comes out.

45% (Yankee). Barely into the Yankee category.

Really no surprise here. My Dad's family is all from the Pittsburgh area, and my Mom's from Ohio, Missouri, and Oklahoma, so I was heavily influenced by their Northern dialect. I was born and raised in Greenville, but have been back to PA and OH far too many times to remember, among other yankee places. :blush:

• 3 months later...

LOL omg I'm 45% yankee, barely in the yankee category, please don't tell my mother....

j/k

A history of me:

My grandfather was born in Connecticut and grew up in MA, my grandmother was born and lived in Durham (NC) all but 2 or 3 yrs of her life. When my grandparents married they moved to Pittsfield, MA for a few years but my grandma hated it, moved back to Durham and they lived there the rest of their lives. In 1981 a little bundle of joy was born in Durham (ahem me), and I've lived in NC my entire life except for an almost 2 yr stint in MA (the move back to the same state where my grandparents lived over 50 yrs earlier was a coincidence all my relatives had migrated southward by then), and now I'm back in NC. Oddly enough I mixed northern and southern accents until shortly after my grandfather's death in 1991. He definately sounded like he was from CT, and I spent alot of time with him until his death. My 2nd grade teacher made me see a speech therapist b/c I kept leaving "r's" off of the ends of certain words....(Durham was a different place in the late '80's then it is 2day, I think there were only probably 125k ppl living there at the time). It was the therapist who said it was just me mixing dialects. Kids made fun of me. I hated saying certain words with "r"'s b/c of this. But oddly enough I'd say a little over a yr after my grandfather's death people stopped commenting on it, as I lost my northern connection and I've been southern ever since, albeit I only sound southern to those not living in the south, and then it's only hints here and there.

Dang test only gives me a 52% dixie, which nearabout hurts my feelings. Both sides of my family have lived in the upstate for over 150 years, almost entirely in Greenville and Oconee counties. The last two generations of one side based in Traveler's Rest, and the other in Taylors and Greer. One set of grandparents fell in love at Tab's Dairy Bar (and Inside Patio), the other working at Enoree Mill. My own father met my mother buying gum in her checkout lane at the Community Cash that used to be part of what is now County Square.

I remember how strange it was to really be from the upstate growing up in greer in the 80s and 90s, as Pelham, Batesville, and Suber Roads went from pasture to Sugar Creek (in all, a good development). When I went from Greer Middle to Riverside High, I felt like I was in a different world. One teacher (her family long from Sans Souci), asked a class of 30 if anyone was born in South Carolina. Two of us (one the son of Cuban immigrants, the other me), raised our hands. Then she asked if anyone was born in Greenville. I was the only one.

Sitting there, I was proud of two things: 1) that Greenville had attracted so many professional, successful folks from around the world, who inspired me to do more than I had thought possible, and 2) that I was wholly from Greenville.

Naturally, that corresponds to my two great interests for Greenville, in human terms: 1) that it be a great place for people the world over to come and do what they are excellent at and live their lives, and 2) that it be Greenville, changing but unmistakably itself, and never treated as a blank slate on which to paint generic urban thinking, or anything else.

Archived