Augusta Developments News

ironchapman

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Medical District has a few projects going on...

Currently, MCG is finishing up 2, 5 floor buildings on Laney Walker Boulevard. I know one of them is the new Cancer research center, not sure on the other one the. The CRC has at least 5 floors but also has a large fin on its top, so it looks more like 7 or more floors.

MCG should also be getting a new 120 million dollar school of Dentistry building, but that may be a few more years off.

A new 3 floor, 80 bed rehab hospital is in the makes on Walton Way.

Overheard from a nurse this summer that University Hospital, right next door to MCG, is getting ready for a huge expansion. Not sure what that entails though.

I guess we shouldnt leave this project out..

http://www.northaugustariverfront.com/

Especially since it is going to have so much impact, not only on North Augustas Downtown, but also Augustas'. I know it has been posted on several other threads over in the SC forums, but since NA is Augustas closest suburb, it belongs here too.

This project, currently underconstruction, will redefine the lifestyle of most of North Augusta.

Other projects inlcude the widening of Davis Rd (Walton Way EXT.) to four lanes and creating an interchange there to I-20. Also the updating the I-20 & I-520 (Bobby Jones Expressway) interchange to a spaghetti junction interchange and widening I-20 to six lanes from Bobby Jones to River Watch Parkway.

Sorry up front that I don't have news about the city but would like to add:

Sometimes an outside perspective is just what is needed. Let me spell it out for you as to just why August will boom one day.

1. (And number one) It has those amazing canals... not canal street like NY but actual canals with water in them. One day those will be lines with condos and cafes, an Austin style boardwalk with a Venice of the South moniker.

2. Palm trees grow there. Forget that August actually has a winter, it still looks tropical enough.

3. It wasn't completely leved by the Civil War like many other cities were. You still have a diverse architectual dialoge to work with. Look at what ATL has done with SO much less.

and

4. It's also on a river... the Savannah river at that. What a cool idea to promote for the cities of Savannah and August to take a day long water taxi between cities.

All in all I love August but have never lived there. I took my bike there and pedaled around free from ATL traffic and loved every moment of it. If I had the money it would be top on my list of great new condo / lifestyle center locations to invest in (with the right promotional team of course).

^^^LOL, Palm trees grow in just about every city in Georgia, especially south of the Fall Line. Macon and Columbus have their share and Savannah is absolutely full of them. Atlanta is a little colder but in good microclimates (like on Piedmont @ Taco Cabana and at the Botanical Gardens), you'll find a few plantings of Palm trees. You are right though...Augusta has some nice ones, especially in the Summerville and older neighborhoods. Some of the taller Sabal Palms are very, very old. There are also some good sized Washintonia Palms at hotels along Washington Rd., and have you ever checked out Aquinas High School? Lots of different Palms and other subtropicals on the property (my old religion/horticulture teacher is heavily into unusual tropical plants/palms and it is evident looking around the grounds). The Bon-Aire retirement Center has a nice tall row of Sabal Palms, there is a very large Butia Palm in front of one of the TV station buildings on Reynolds street, a very tall Windmill Palm at Sacred Heart Cultural Center (and a few tall Windmill Palms at my Mom+Dads!). So, you are definately right, there are lots of Palms in the Augusta area.

• 2 weeks later...

Another new shopping center is proposed for Aiken. I think more of an office-condo type center with a few shops thrown in. Doesnt look like anything too big and the development is still a ways off. I think this will be built on Silver Bluff Rd. Anyone know where that is?

Silver Bluff Rd is on the southside (where ALL new development is occurring). It splits off of Whiskey and travels towards SRS. My guess is that this development could occur in one of 3 spots on Silver Bluff.

1) Near the intersection of Silver Bluff and Pine Log (where TJ Maxx, Ross, Bed Bath and Beyond, Steinmart, Old Navy, etc are going in).

2) Where Silver Bluff and Pine Log split (across from Food Lion, Southside Post Office, etc).

3) Amongst the Woodside office park, across from the newly-annexed Gem Lakes subdivision.

My guess is probably that #3 will be the location, though with the infill momentum, #1 or #2 wouldn't surprise me either.

^ Ahh.. you're right, and I don't know exactly where a mobile home park is... Looking at a satellite image, the only thing that looks like it could be a mobile home park is at approximately location #2, which would border an apt. complex, and would be across from the Food Lion, Post Office strip mall...

Someone told me today that Dick's Sporting Goods will be building a 2 floor store at the Riverwatch. Anyone here about this yet?

Also, a new 3 story Board of Education building for Columbia County is going up in Evans. There is an article about it in todays AC. Apparently they are having a hard time finishing the 3rd. floor....

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know when the new Rehab Hospital on Walton Way is going to break ground?

BTW, while in town the other day i had to stop by MCG and it looks like both the midrises going up there are just about finished. They compliment the midrise skyline in that area very nicely.

I agree. Those are going to be some really nice buildings when they get done.

Paraphrased from the Chronicle today:

We should expect to hear an announcement in February regarding the old train depot on Reynolds, as well as the surrounding property. Apparently the talk is of renovation of the depot (and partial demolition for a new cross street), and new retail and residential on the property.

IMO, this is the absolute most important (and one of the largest) parcel in downtown Augusta.... riverfront location, adjacent to the 5th st. bridge... I'm really crossing my fingers for something dense and urban to help jump-start Reynolds St...

http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/01130...s_6229797.shtml

Edited by Topher1

I just read the article myself. Last time I was in Augustas' downtown I thought something should be done with the old train depot...AND NOT any more antique markets like it used to be. Leave that for the smaller towns. I really hope they do something nice there, the renderings show very little but I think it is just conceptual.

• 2 weeks later...