Augusta Developments News

ironchapman

Does anyone know what they are building on Washinton road just past National Hills (near the Publix and Kroger). Its on the same side as Kroger but not exactly sure where...as i whizzed by it the other night with my parents going to The Fresh Market. Looks like a restaurant but not sure.

They're building another Raising Cane's Chicken finger restaurant. There's already one on Furys Ferry and a third is supposed to be built on Deans Bridge Rd. somtime soon.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Has anyone heard anything else about this shopping center?

Retail site is set near Exchange

Officials brace themselves for traffic tangle in hectic area

Web posted Wednesday, January 19, 2005

By Adrian Burns and Damon Cline {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} Staff Writers

The area around the Augusta Exchange already is bustling, but it will get even busier when a new shopping center opens along Walton Way Extension.

An Atlanta-based company has plans to develop a nine-acre parcel, rezoned earlier this week from agricultural/residential to commercial, into a retail center with 90,000 square feet of space.

"There's plans right now for up to four buildings," said Roscoe Powers, the director of acquisitions for Hand Properties Inc, which develops "build-to-suit" properties for nearly two dozen national retailers, including Bed, Bath & Beyond; TJ Maxx; and Office Depot.

Mr. Powers said he would begin marketing the property to retailers once plans and permits are approved by Richmond County during the next two months.

He did not rule out pitching the property to retailers already operating in Augusta.

"Some of the tenants may already be there and would like to get into that particular portion of the market," he said. "It will probably be all retail, but I wouldn't rule out a restaurant."

Access to the shopping center would be made through three curb cuts along Walton Way Extension.

But the already hectic road might not handle the additional traffic well, city officials say.

"If you've looked at the traffic situation there, I think it's going to be pretty scary," said George Patty, Augusta's director of planning, adding that 32,000 vehicles already pass by the future development site each day.

That figure is expected to rise 19 percent, or 6,000 cars, if the center is completed.

The city's acting traffic engineer was consulted on the project and advised that a traffic light would be put in front of the retail center if needed.

Developers agreed to foot half the bill if a traffic signal becomes necessary within five years, said Bob Austin, the city's zoning and development administrator.

Mr. Powers said Hand Properties is under contract to buy the property, which is made up of several lots individually owned by Margaret Sibley Dale and Kathryn Sibley Boardman.

Financial terms of the proposed deal have not been disclosed.

The property extends from Walton Way Extension, where it is bordered by the Walton's Corner shopping center to the east and CitiFinancial and Walton Rehabilitation Hospital's Harison Heights community to the west.

The wooded acreage, used in recent years only as a Christmas tree lot, is flanked by the Augusta Exchange's Ashley Furniture and Regal Cinemas 20.

The last commercial activity in that area was last year's $5 million renovation of Walton's Corner, which is home to several businesses, the regional offices for BellSouth and the headquarters for home health provider CareSouth.

Reach Adrian Burns at (706) 823-3352 or Damon Cline at (706) 823-3486.

The old Miller Theatre downtown to be restored.

Downtown landmark to be redeveloped

Press Release By Janie Peel, Economic Development Ombudsman for the City of Augusta

The Historic Miller Theater was sold today to local developer Peter Knox IV. The total development plan and use for the theater are still in the works pending a full developmental plan being completed. Peter Knox says "The Miller. It is time. The active decay will be stopped with complete roofing repairs. The structure will then be ready for further renovation or mothballing. I expect help with this endeavor, but the roof cannot wait; structurally, the roof simply cannot wait."

The sale was procured by Gene Gilbert of Prime Commercial Properties. The Miller is reported to be a sound building with many of the architectural features still intact. Gene Gilbert says, "I look forward to The Miller being developed and it being one of our success stories for downtown and all of Augusta".

There is a grass roots effort by local concerned citizens to Save the Miller headed by Mike Deas who was born and raised in Augusta. Mr. Deas has done extensive research on restoration of historic theaters and specifically, has developed a website with history of The Miller Theater which can be accessed at www.friendsofthemiller.com. The restoration team from The Fabulous Fox Theater in Atlanta was recently in Augusta and was very impressed with the efforts the community is putting forward to Save the Miller. Mr. Deas says, "A restored Miller Theater in combination with the proven success of The Imperial Theater would provide elite and varied entertainment for the Augusta area citizens."

The Miller Theater has been one of the main topics of discussion at the Tuesday Morning Roundtables held every Tuesday morning at Mallys on 7th at 8:00 am. Many state agencies and Augusta's Housing and Economic Development Department have discussed many funding sources and partnerships to help further the goal of getting The Miller back to a productive building in the heart of the downtown Business District which was at one time the Theater District with The Miller, The Imperial, The Rialto and The Modjeska flourishing at the same time.

Update on Bobby Jones & I-20 construction

The Applebees that had caught on fire a few weeks ago may not be remodeled. It seems as though the GA Department of Transportation may need that land for the extension of the expressway and the construction of the overpass that will be built over Scott Nixon Memorial Dr. As of right now the Applebees will remain closed until the DOT makes their decision. Construction for the expressway additions is expected to begin later this year or next year but could be delayed as long as 2008.

Interesting. I didnt know that Applebees caught on fire. PJA or anyone else, are there any images out there of what the new interchange might look like?

I ran across pictures of the new interchange a couple of months ago but I don't remember where. I'm sure I'll run across them again and will post them if I do.

Paraphrased from the Chronicle today:

We should expect to hear an announcement in February regarding the old train depot on Reynolds, as well as the surrounding property. Apparently the talk is of renovation of the depot (and partial demolition for a new cross street), and new retail and residential on the property.

IMO, this is the absolute most important (and one of the largest) parcel in downtown Augusta.... riverfront location, adjacent to the 5th st. bridge... I'm really crossing my fingers for something dense and urban to help jump-start Reynolds St...

http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/01130...s_6229797.shtml

The Reynolds St. depot has been awarded a $450,000 grant.

What needs to be decided now is if they are going to try to get more money, or work with what they have.

Full Article

Edited by PJA

The Judicial center is stalled after more than one year since the city's legal counseling began acquiring property. This is due to tax changes. The bond referendum which would have helped paid for it was defeated in the June election. The proposed site is on Walton Way between James Brown BLVD and 9th street. Here is the full story.

Full Story

Local leaders in Augusta are trying to get funding through "local assistance grants" for projects including a recruitment package to lure businesses downtown, funding for the Augusta Mini Theatre, money for a foster home and for 50 statues of prominent blacks to go up on Laney Walker. This would really help Laney Walker's development into becoming a nice area. Here's more.

Full Story

Does anyone know what they are building on Washinton road just past National Hills (near the Publix and Kroger). Its on the same side as Kroger but not exactly sure where...as i whizzed by it the other night with my parents going to The Fresh Market. Looks like a restaurant but not sure.

OK Ill answer myself. I drove by again the other day and it is a little further out than I thought it was...more down towards Martinez. Apparently it is another Raising Canes restaurant. There is another one opening not too far away on Furys Ferry Road.

Also, there is a sign up now on I-20 for The Village at Riverwatch. Cant wait for them to start on that. Right across the highway from that looks to be a new Microtel (hotel) going up.

PJA, I just noticed you had answered my question on that a few posts back....sorry for that and double posting!!!

OK Ill answer myself. I drove by again the other day and it is a little further out than I thought it was...more down towards Martinez. Apparently it is another Raising Canes restaurant. There is another one opening not too far away on Furys Ferry Road.

Also, there is a sign up now on I-20 for The Village at Riverwatch. Cant wait for them to start on that. Right across the highway from that looks to be a new Microtel (hotel) going up.

PJA, I just noticed you had answered my question on that a few posts back....sorry for that and double posting!!!

The Raising Canes on FF has been open for a couple of months now and has pretty good food. The only thing is they don't sell chicken wings, just chicken fingers so Zaxby's still has the edge.

• 2 weeks later...

A few updates..

Large scale clearing and prep work is being done at the site of The Villages of Riverwatch. This looks to be a massive project. There is also some construction on the other side of Riverwatch parkway, anyone know what that is?

Also, the development on the Riverfront in North Augusta with the huge McMansions, (Not Hammonds Ferry) is getting some multilevel condos? They look to be 3-4 floors and are right up along the 13th st. bridge.

A few updates..

Large scale clearing and prep work is being done at the site of The Villages of Riverwatch. This looks to be a massive project. There is also some construction on the other side of Riverwatch parkway, anyone know what that is?

Also, the development on the Riverfront in North Augusta with the huge McMansions, (Not Hammonds Ferry) is getting some multilevel condos? They look to be 3-4 floors and are right up along the 13th st. bridge.

Wow so work has finally begun on the Riverwatch project. I think this is the most anticipated project for Augusta this year.

• 2 weeks later...

The new concourse at the Augusta Regional Airport is set to open on Sunday. Once finished, construction can begin on the new terminal which will be open in 2007.

Open house for the terminal will be held on Friday at 5:30 to 8:00.

Edited by PJA

Daniel Field has just received a federal grant to help make more improvements. Some of those improvements include replacing the security fence around the airport and putting up some security lights on the hangar that will shine out on the ramp. There has been talk about also putting up some security cameras. Although Daniel Field shows increased usage during the masters, those visitors using the airport won't see the new security meausres until next year.

A lot of projects are about to get underway thanks to the sales tax money that will start going towards these projects on April 1. The projects are temporarily placed on hold because of the funds not being available as of yet. The projects include, the new library, the judicial center, the jail expansion and the new exhibition hall.

More Info