Augusta Developments News

ironchapman

Hopefully the Judicial Center will have some height to it. I know it was originally planned to be a 20 story tower but does anyone know what they are planning for now?

Also, seems like I read somewhere the new library will be housed in a 100K sq. ft. building. This is nearly twice the size of Columbia Counties new library and could mean a 5-6 floor building, depending on how much land they use I guess.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hopefully the Judicial Center will have some height to it. I know it was originally planned to be a 20 story tower but does anyone know what they are planning for now?

Also, seems like I read somewhere the new library will be housed in a 100K sq. ft. building. This is nearly twice the size of Columbia Counties new library and could mean a 5-6 floor building, depending on how much land they use I guess.

Wow, I had no idea they were planning these buildings to be so big. I guess the demand is here especially for a large library.

The judicial center will unfortunately NOT be the 20 floor originally proposed. The original proposal several years ago, the first time SPLOST was voted down, was for an $80 million center. I'll be happy if the new $40 million proposal reaches half that height... Either way, the original and the scaled down plans are both exciting prospects for Augusta.

There is a new medical project called the Village at Crossroads that will be located on Bel Air Road and Jimmy Dyess Pkwy. The project is being headed by CPC (the Center for Primary Care). The area that they are going to buy will be split up into eight lots with seven private doctors buying land and room for CPC crossroads as well. There may also be a pharmacy available. The setup of the medical village is designed to be like Charleston with walkways, street lamps and magnolia trees with a small town atmosphere. The groundbreaking is expected in May with a opening date of December 2006.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

SteakOut is returning to Augusta. One of the old locations on Pleasant Home Rd. will be reopening under new management in June. Four more are being planned to open in the CSRA over the next three to four years. Some possible locations include Aiken and North Augusta.

I didnt even know they had left! When I lived on Pleasant Home Rd. I used the LaPavillion location frequently. Glad to see they are returning.

Yeah almost a year ago, both locations abruptly closed with no warning. There were some signs put up on the doors that they were closed temporarily but then months later they went completely out of business.

There's a new office park coming to Augusta that will be located off of Interstate Parkway. It's a 20 million dollar project that will allow tenants to design their own floorplans to fit their needs. While the floorplans will be different, the outisde of the buildings will definitely be uniform. The office complex is expected to have about 16 buildings and will include walking trails, fountains and lanscaping provided by the contractors. The office park will be perfectly suited for doctors, lawyers etc.

The Augusta Towers & Hotel Convention Center is being converted into a DoubleTree Hotel. DoubleTree is a brand of the popular Hilton Hotels Corp. The hotel will be spending about $5 million dollars to renovate the premises as well as adding new furniture and plasma televisions to all the rooms. This move will put DoubleTree on the level of quality with the Augusta Mariott (formerly the Radisson on the river). Hotel rates will increase (current rates are $79 to $99). The change is expected to be completed by December.

Awesome...

Will the exterior of this building be modified in any way?

We are talking about the old Sheraton on Bobby Jones Expressway..right?

I'm assuming the outside will be done. I know every inch of the inside is going to be redone. And you're correct it's the old Sheraton off of Wheeler Rd. and Bobby Jones Exressway.

The Just Fresh Bakery Cafe and Market will be coming to the area. They plan to open about five in the area. The first one will be on Furys Ferry Rd. in Evans. They are on the same level as Panera Bread and Atlanta Bread Company.

A North Augusta businessman and a few others are trying to organize a new bank called Heritage Bank & Trust that would operate in Augusta, North Augusta & Aiken. They aim to be the first community bank to operate in all three metro's major cities.

Here is an update on the courthouse. Land purchasing is almost complete and should be complete by June. One issue being mentioned is that the longer it takes the commission to buy the land, the more it will cost to have it built. Basically the project will become smaller becuase the commsssion isn't going to allocate any more money to cover the project.

Here's more info.

The Mini Melts franchise is expanding into Augusta for the first time. Supposedly its an ice cream shop similar to Dippin Dots. The first location will be off of Furys Ferry Rd in Evans with possibly more to follow in the area.

The Augusta Convention and Visitors Bureau is in the process of establishing a 40,000 to 50,000 sq. ft. Trade, Exhibit and Event Center next to the Augusta Mariott Hotel & Suites downtown. This will help Augusta become a major player in getting special events and conventions to come to town. Here are the details.

The Augusta Convention and Visitors Bureau is in the process of establishing a 40,000 to 50,000 sq. ft. Trade, Exhibit and Event Center next to the Augusta Mariott Hotel & Suites downtown. This will help Augusta become a major player in getting special events and conventions to come to town. Here are the details.

According to the Article, if this thing is built at this location by the Marriot, then it would give Augusta more of an advantage for attracting more conventions over Macon, and Columbus. These cities already have larger sized convention centers, but with no immediate hotel access. I hope this is built, since it can really help the city out and bring in some more convention $$$.

The Sticky Fingers franchise is coming to Augusta. The restaurant will be in the old Stool Pigeons building next to Chili's and Macaroni Grill.

Also a new local restaurant called The Public House will open in the Surrey Center shopping center.

The Augusta Inn & Conference Center on Stevens Creek Rd. (right off of Washington Rd) will be closing to give way to two new hotels. Two of the buildings have already been leveled to start on the first hotel which is a Hilton Garden Inn. The other buildings will be leveled later to make room for a Sheraton Hotel.