Augusta Developments News

ironchapman

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

New article in the Chronicle about the Reynolds St Depot parcel. Seems like a Savannah-based developer has finally put in an official proposal. No rendering or height yet...

http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/060206/met_83769.shtml

$120 million project

160-180 condos

Retaining features of the "historic" train depot, which has recently been granted $450,000 for renovation

Average price of $400,000 per unit ( :shok: in DT Augusta?)

6.3 acre lot... which could water down the height a bit

On an odd side note, I did the math, and selling 180 units at $400,000 a pop doesn't come anywhere close to recovering the $120,000,000 build cost... I wonder where the other income is factored in...

$120 million is a pretty exciting price tag for a new building. If I remember correctly, the original price tag for the proposed Judicial building was only $80 million, and they were envisioning a 20-story office building (which are taller than residentials with comparable floor counts).

I really hope something big happens at this lot. The city is also considering the other disgusting eyesore on Reynolds St. (the dirt parking lot off of the Riverwalk) for convention space. These two lots are the best in the city IMO, and will really transform Reynolds St.

Small update in regard to the new condos on Reynolds. It seems that some on the city council (Marion Williams) are upset that Mayor Deke is in favor of selling the subject land to the Savannah developer. Mr. Williams wants that site allocated for a possible hotel. It was reported that at one point in the meeting, Mr. Williams asked Mayor Deke, who, besides Deke's family, could afford $400,000 condos in the heart of downtown Augusta. Mayor Deke responded that Mr. Williams was missing the big picture. (Sorry, I looked online but couldn't find the link.) I too think that the price of the condos may be a little steep for downtown at this time, but Marion Williams is corrupt and that's why he is opposing this project. You know, a couple of years ago when they bought this land they did a study and were told that land was best suited for a mixed-use development. Instead of listening to the advice of experts, our leaders want to put a Motel 6 there.

And then you have the historic preservationists who apparently want to keep this giant dirt lot intact because it is historical. Apparently some in this town feel a certain family (don't know who) has rights to it. Well, if anyone has a right to the land it's St. Paul's, which has been in this town for 250+ years and they're not interested. Sorry to be long winded.

Edited by Pillsbury

Williams wants an upscale hotel there, not a Motel 6. However, no hotels have expressed interest so they ought to sell to someone who wants it. I'm not sure how the condos would do, but apparently studies have been done. They may need to lower the price to at least the 300,000's though.

Williams wants an upscale hotel there, not a Motel 6. However, no hotels have expressed interest so they ought to sell to someone who wants it. I'm not sure how the condos would do, but apparently studies have been done. They may need to lower the price to at least the 300,000's though.

Just being a little facetious on the Motel 6. I certianly believe that they should try to make the most money off of the land, be it a hotel or condos. One thing I didn't get, in the article in the Metro Spirit they mentioned something about Port Royal being almost empty. Is that true? I thought all of the units had been sold.

I like the idea of a new Hotel at the Golf Hall of Fame. I think the Hall is a total waste of land personally but building a hotel on the property, if allowed, wouldnt be too bad. I bet it would be one of the first to get booked around Masters Week and would keep people visiting the Hall/Botanical Gardens.

Add 2 more Hotels to the list of new ones coming to the Claussen road/I-20 area. What a difference this will make on the look of Augusta from the Interestate!

Here is the article...

http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/061706/bus_85684.shtml

And here is the list of hotels coming

NEW LODGING

The following hotels are planned for the Claussen Road/Stevens Creek Road area:

- Hilton Garden Inn, on the site of the Augusta Inn & Conference Center, 114 rooms, opening April 2007

- Sheraton, also on the site of the Augusta Inn & Conference Center, 150 rooms, opening April 2008

- Cambria Suites, behind the Interstate West Office Park, 122 rooms, opening spring or summer 2007

- MainStay Hotel, behind the Interstate West Office Park, 88 rooms, opening spring or summer 2007

- Candlewood Suites, near the intersection with River Watch Parkway, 86 rooms, opening April 2007

This doesnt include the Microtel going up now and the renovation of Amerisuites into a Hyatt hotel. Wow!

I was driving down I-20 today and it looks like they are finishing up a nice but small, (2 floor) office building near the Bobby Jones Interchange. Is this part of an office park, and are there more building to come? I think its about time we some something taller than 5 floors in the western suburbs, (other than Doctors Hospital.)

Also, I was just wondering about that big industrial complex on Riverwatch parkway across I-20 from where they are building the big Lifestyle Center. This is quite an eyesore, especially traveling on the interstate. I wonder if they are going to move that to another location, especially since alot of new development is coming to the immediate area. It would be a prime spot for a mixed use complex of offices, retail and residential.

Riverwatch Parkway is going to look so good from I-20 with the host of hotels on one side and the Villages at Riverwatch on the other side. With Avenue at Furys Ferry being built further up the street, I think Riverwatch will take over Washington Rd.'s title as the Retail street of Augusta.

PJA, is The Avenue still under consideration? Seems like that sign has been up forever but with nothing going on. Im sure something will be built there but I think another Lifestyle Center (along with Villages and The Forum) not to mention the Augusta Mall Lifestyle Center expansion, will be too much for Augusta. I agree though...It will make a huge difference on the "image" of Augusta people get driving on the Interstate.

PJA, is The Avenue still under consideration? Seems like that sign has been up forever but with nothing going on. Im sure something will be built there but I think another Lifestyle Center (along with Villages and The Forum) not to mention the Augusta Mall Lifestyle Center expansion, will be too much for Augusta. I agree though...It will make a huge difference on the "image" of Augusta people get driving on the Interstate.

Well the sign is still up. Plus the Avenue is supposed to open up around the same time as the Villages. Since the Avenue is much smaller, they won't have to start on it just yet. Land clearing for the Villages was started about 2 or three months ago and actual construction hasn't even begun yet .

The Downtown Development Authority approved the construction of the condos on the Riverwalk on Saturday. Now the Augusta Commission is waiting to hear from the Attorney General on whether the commission can sell the property or not. They should hear something today. The commission will then discuss it on Tuesday and hopefully they will approve it as well. The tentative name for the project is The Watermark on the Augusta Riverwalk.

Interesting. It said that Port Royal was fully occupied.

Also...There is a waterfront condo being built here in Anderson SC named Watermarke. I wonder if it is by the same developer? The one here in Anderson looks to be around 8 floors. Ill try to dig up a rendering soon.

Here is an article that mentions some of the ideas the commissioners plan on trying to implement. They include the drag strip (a study is under way), a white water course and transforming part of the Regency Mall into a James Brown museum also having a Hard Rock Cafe there which could lead to more. Here's the article.