Augusta Developments News

ironchapman

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hmm, not so sure about that. Sams Clubs and most of the larger wholesale stores like BJs and Cosco like to be in the "middle" of markets or have very high visibility since most of their sales comes from business purchases...not one time buys or personal purchases. Id say a better location for a new Sams would be still in West Augusta somewhere...but who knows what they will do??

Another Starbuck's is coming.

The old Pier One in front of Toys R Us and the Augusta Mall is being converted into a mini-retail strip. Two of the confirmed tenants are Starbucks and Cingular Wireless. Here are the details.

That will be the closest free standing Starbucks where I live. Now if they can just put one in South Augusta.

• 4 weeks later...

3000 people appeared at Diamond Lakes Regional Park on September 9th for the no-charge public event celebrating Georgia's racing heritage. They came from Canada, California, Florida and New York (not to mention the CSRA) and they enjoyed!

Over 300 photographs are here:

www.augustavintagenationals.com

Simply click the three yellow boxes to the right.

Henry

The Kroger on Washington Rd. in West Augusta (across from Books- A Million) is turnig into a Kroger Supercenter.

WOW!!! Really. I figured they need to do something with our other Augusta Krogers. The nicest one so far is the one across the street from the mall. And I can see them now tearing down that rundown restaurant in front of this Kroger and adding a Kroger gas station. Definitely needed in this area.

The one is S. Augusta should be next!!

^ I agree, it really is a money-maker for the area. I would imagine a lot of new businesses would open up to cater to that crowd as well.

I mean if you really dont want the noise to be a problem, go to the track and enjoy yourself. Is there something else better to do on that side of town? forget Mike Pagette hwy and bring to Tobacco rd, those people wont mind the noise.....they might just support it.

Pillsbury, sorry couldnt get you the link. The article was very short and basically mentioned that the mayor is trying to get a stadium built DT but there were no specifics other than (possibly residential and retail portions). I think something like this would complement the canal the best!

I also agree completely... Augusta would be very wise to look north to Greenville to emulate their success with West End and the falls park when it comes to developing the canal. Add in the library, judicial center, and the Kroc center, and thats some serious momentum for the canal area.

when and where are they breaking ground for those projects?

Completely off the top of my head and incomplete information:

Kroc Center: First portion (an adult job training center) is underway. This part is off of Broad St., past 15th away from dt.

The judicial center, library, and federal bankruptcy court are planned for the intersection of Telfair and James Brown Blvd. (from the Chronicle last week). No clue on the time frame, but the article stated that spin-off development and speculative purchasing is already occurring on surrounding parcels, including a $1.75 million dollar purchase of a nearby 1.73 acre parcel, which is, IMO, pretty pricy, given the existing condition of the area...

http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/100606/met_99345.shtml

Also, did anyone see the article today about the vote to "support building a $25 million exhibition center in the downtown area."? Another project to add to the "when/will it happen" list...

http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/101306/bus_100274.shtml

Apparently, the owner of the Augusta Greenjackets was in town today and discussed with local officials, among other things, the future of the city. He thought the idea of the DT stadium was a good one but something that would come with time, especially since the current stadium is still relatively new.

On another note. Has anyone been by any of the projects going on in the metro lately? How is Marshall Square or any of the other numerous Evans developments coming along? How about Hammonds Ferry in North Augusta?

Have they started actual construction on The Villages at Riverwatch or are they still grading? How much longer before they start clearing for The Forum? How about the new Hotels going up in that area? Any of those been started yet? Have they completed the new Hospital on Walton Way DT or is it still UC?

Ill be in Augusta on Weds. so Ill check out some of these myself but if anyone knows anything...

ALSO, heard a bleep on the radio this morning (104.3...it comes in slightly where I live) that the city of Augusta was going to sign off on the Watermark condos DT, (I guess giving the go ahead to build), anyone hear anything else?

I drove to Evans last Friday and a lot of things were off the ground out that way, but nothing has happened with Marshall Square. It just sits there. On Thursday I came in on I-20 from North Augusta and saw the Villages at Rivewalk (it actually looks pretty cool from the interstate). Alas, no real construction yet, but it does look as though they have everything graded.

The new hospital on Walton Way is still under construction but it looks like they've framed it, but they still need to do the exterior wall.

I was over in Waters Edge next to the 13th Street bridge and their clearing a lot of land back there and building stuff. You cannot see it from anywhere else. In fact, I would say that Hammond's Ferry is on the fastest track judging by what I saw a couple of weeks ago.

I think you can pick up 104.3 just about anywhere. Back when they played Top 40, we'd listen to it and see how far outside of Augusta we could still pick it up.

When you arrive, I-20 is a complete mess from Warren Road to Bobby Jones.... :(

Edited by Pillsbury

Hammond's Ferry has some good photos on their website (probably about a month old now)... Here's one that I loved...

hferryij9.jpg

A lot of progress... A good mix of densities... Phase I is supposed to be the LEAST dense phase of the development, so I can't wait to see how the more urban portions closer to Georgia Ave and West Ave turn out.