Augusta Developments News

ironchapman

I'm not sure if I mentioned this earlier..but another Starbucks is coming to the area..this time in the Augusta Exchange Center where the Razzberry Cool was. It's going to be expanded to make room for the new Starbucks basically right across the street from Target and in front of Ashley's Furniture.

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anybody drive down Washinton Rd. near the intersection of I-20 on a daily basis? If so, look over and see what floor the new Hilton Garden Inn is on! Im wondering how tall this will be...while I dont expect it to be over 6 floors, Im hoping for at least 5. Im also wondering how many floors the new Sheraton right next to it will have. I emailed the architects for the Hilton Garden Inn and they thought I was crazy for asking...probably right...lol :wacko::wacko:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Two more hotels are coming to the area...Mainstay Suites and Cambria Suites both owned by the same company. They will be located on Claussen Rd between I-20 and Washington Rd. Of couse as you all know several other hotels are already in the area with some currently being built. They are scheduled to be finished before the 2008 Masters.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Has anyone heard of what they are doing with the Old White's building downtown? It looks like they are planning to converting it to a mixed use retail/residential complex that will bring Downtown's current condos to over 70, before they build the new condo towers. And they're trying to get a starbucks there too.

Article

I think this definitely will give a much needed advancement boost for downtown. Glad to see that our older, historic buildings are put back to use.

Sounds like a great plan. Starbucks is greatly needed in DT Augusta and would do well there. I think the 70 condos they are referring to are the ones that will be built in just this project, (in the seperate buildings.) Already there are condos at River place and some just across the 13th st. bridge in that new riverfront development in N. Augusta, (which is technically not DT Augusta but close enough.)

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of new bank branches will open up on both sides of the Savannah river in the metro area. The Savannah River Banking Co., a brand new bank, will open branches on Silverbluff rd. in Aiken, (in an old, renovated Bank of America building) and a newly constructed brank on Wheeler rd. In Augusta. Seems like alot of new banks are going up lately!

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday on I-20 i saw aflac on the univ of phoenix lower sign not the tall one in the sky. Is this new or old, its right before u get to the 520 exit. Does aflac already have a building here which would make this just a smaller office. Or is this their main building in augusta which could probably be 2-4 floors.

• 1 month later...

I just read a disturbing article about how the delays of several projects are going to end up costing more money. A lot of these projects like the new library, the judicial center and the jail expansion should have been done by now but they haven't even started construction yet. Heres the article.

Maybe we will see an architectural proposal for the Judicial Center in the next few weeks. If not that, we can at least expect to know the size/number of stories. A 20 story building is out now that the budget has shrunk from (tentatively) 80 million to 54 million....but Im sure we will see something with at least 12 floors....hopefully!

• 1 month later...

Any news in Augusta re: I-14? Ever heard of I-30? Between these two, Augusta could get a southern perimeter. Some groups who oppose I-30 are getting behind a proposal to extend I-30 from Little Rock to Hilton Head via Augusta. If I-14 ever gets off the ground, this would put Augusta in a pretty sweet position.

I-14E.2.jpg

I-30.jpg

Edited by aboutmetro

• 2 weeks later...

I was in Augusta for a little while today and noticed a few things. I was coming in on I-20 from Belair rd. and traffic was stopped due to construction on the 20/520 interchange so I got off on Wheeler rd. I noticed the new T-Mobile Call Center (wasnt too impressed). I guess I shouldnt have hoped for much, (it is just a call center after all). Basically its a big flat one story building with very little flair. Not nearly as nice as the ADP call center built just recently on Stevens Creek Rd. I also noticed while coming down Davis rd. a big new office building going up just down from The Snug. From the steel skeleton looks like 3 stories and from the quick view I got of the rendering, it looks a little bit more modern than what is normally seen in Augusta.

The Home Depot in Evans is coming along very nicely and Canuk was right....They have cleared off ALOT of land in that area for the Marshall Town Sq. Development. That place is going to be huge!

I was in Augusta for a little while today and noticed a few things. I was coming in on I-20 from Belair rd. and traffic was stopped due to construction on the 20/520 interchange so I got off on Wheeler rd. I noticed the new T-Mobile Call Center (wasnt too impressed). I guess I shouldnt have hoped for much, (it is just a call center after all). Basically its a big flat one story building with very little flair. Not nearly as nice as the ADP call center built just recently on Stevens Creek Rd. I also noticed while coming down Davis rd. a big new office building going up just down from The Snug. From the steel skeleton looks like 3 stories and from the quick view I got of the rendering, it looks a little bit more modern than what is normally seen in Augusta.

The Home Depot in Evans is coming along very nicely and Canuk was right....They have cleared off ALOT of land in that area for the Marshall Town Sq. Development. That place is going to be huge!

• 2 months later...

This will be HUGE but has not been talked about much. Fort Gordons' new National Security Agency will employ as many as 4000 civilian and military personnel by 2012. The new buildings groundbreaking was today and it will be nearly half a million sq. ft. (thats huge!).

Can anyone post a larger image of the rendering?http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/102107/bus_148538.shtml

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Masters week places Augusta on a global stage. It's no wonder that city leaders use this week to sell Augusta to companies and possible investors.

Im excited. It's the most prestigious event in the world for sporting," said Ted Peterson.

Peterson is president of New York based...Downtown Decorations Inc. The company signed a 3 year deal with the city. The goal..."Enhance the downtown, bring people downtown for the holidays, shop, and they did a phenomenal job this year," said Peterson. The first annual Christmas Light-up Spectacular attracted hundreds downtown with fireworks and 12.6 miles of lights. Outside of Christmas lights, Ted's company is also responsible for welcome signs lining 13th Street bridge, and now Ted is one of thousands making his way into the Augusta Nationals, in his case, courtesy of the city.

One thing is for sure, Masters is like a second Christmas for the city. The economic impact is about 100 million dollars.

"It's just a great place to do business, and I would like to expand my business down here as well." A little hospitality goes a long way. Ted is sold on Augusta.

"It's the whole southern charm that you don't have any other place. We travel and see cities all around the world, and I see Augusta as really on the cutting edge," said Ted.

Augusta leaders always roll out the red carpet in hopes of new businesses rolling in. The city will play host to about 40 businesses this Thursday.

http://www.wrdw.com/home/headlines/17369419.html

Edited by augga706

RV Park plans for Augusta

Augusta city leaders are looking at an R.V. Park. The location...Diamond Lakes Park..the plan...12 Tennis Courts, jogging space, and 300 camp sites.

It sounds like a great plan to us. We feel like there's a need there, but we want to make sure to justify it with numbers," said Tom Beck who is director of Augusta Parks and Recreation. A study is now in the works. Bob Anderson with C.S.RA. Camperland says the numbers are there. "Without a doubt. If it's built...it'll be full."

The projected economic impact is around $400,000. "Obviously it's gonna generate a lot of money because people will come here and they're gonna spend money. The other thing it's gonna do is give our people, the CSRA people, a chance to stay local," said Bob.

There is a total 300 acres of land and lakes at Diamond Lakes Regional Park. The city hopes to use about 40 acres for the R.V. Park. There is no official word on the costs. A feasibility study must be completed. SPLOST...or sales tax money would fund the project.

Edited by augga706

Sting-Ray Whitfield championship fight brings ESPN to Augusta Masters week

The Masters isn't the only Augusta sporting event getting worldwide attention this week. ESPN is in town as Augusta native Sting-Ray Whitfield prepares for his big fight. The undefeated champion will take on Manuel Vargas at the Bell Auditorium. There is a lot riding on this fight. A win could place Augusta at the top of the list for it's first ever championship match.

Augusta's own Sting-Ray Whitfield will take to the ring in the ESPN2 Wednesday night fights. It's being called a do or die match.

"You're looking at a situation where Ray's gonna be the top dog by winning this match. He's fighting for a world championship," said Tom Moraetes who is Whitfield's chief trainer.

This will all take place just hours before the first round of the Masters tournament begins.

"Every time I go away people say you from the city where the Masters at, and being a part of this week...bringing ESPN here to my hometown, and performing here means a lot to me," said Whitfield.

It means a lot to him, and to fans like Ronnie Russell. "Oh, it's wonderful. I'm glad he bringing it back to Augusta. I'm just real glad to see him fight," said Ronnie.

The undefeated Augusta native and his top 10 contender weighed in Tuesday. The match will be broadcast to more than 95 million homes.

Edited by augga706

Red Carpet Tour rolls into Augusta National

Augusta is rolling out the red carpet in hopes of bringing in new businesses and new jobs. That includes a well known automotive company and baseball's Iron Man. 40 different businesses were treated to a day out at Augusta National.

"If I got this pitch...I'd be here in a heart beat," said Cal Ripken. He weighed in on what he calls a winning game plan. "Taking in the wonderful event and kinda seeing all the people around...who wouldn't want to do this?"

Top executives from Toyota are among the exclusive bunch touring the state of Georgia. Multiple stops are planned in Augusta.

We need jobs and to boost our economy, and this is one quick way to do it," said Senator Ed Tarver.

"It's a smart play. I don't know what their success ratio is," said Ripken.

It is not too shabby. Past companies on the tour like T Mobile, and the latest, Teleperformance, recently announced as many as 350 jobs in Augusta.

"We've been doing it for years. It's been successful. It's proven," said Senator Tarver.

It was a busy day for the group. They flew in from Atlanta on Thursday. They head to Columbus, GA on Friday, and then back to Augusta on Saturday for the tournament. The chamber of commerce says more than 23,000 jobs have been created since the tour started more than 40 years ago.

Edited by augga706