Lindbergh Center

Newnan_Eric

I was in town again the other day. (Sorry no photos this time.) And I took some extra time after my meetings to drive around to see some of the projects we've all been discussing. When I drove up Piedmont to see the Linbergh development, I was shocked to see how run down the area had become!

I'll admit that the area around Piedmont and Cheshire Bridge has always been a bit run-down, but the area near the MARTA station with the old retail always seemed to be doing OK. Now the old K-Mart shopping center is under redevelopment and the Bellsouth achored Linbergh Center only has Longhorn as a retail/restaurant tenant. There still is the shopping center on the North side of Sidney Marcus, but the rest of the area is shuttered or barely open.

Do y'all think that the Sembler development will give this area enough momentum? Are these other business just closed because they couldn't weather through the redevelopment time?

I sure hope this area can get going. I had such high hopes for it to be a viable TOD.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do y'all think that the Sembler development will give this area enough momentum? Are these other business just closed because they couldn't weather through the redevelopment time?

I sure hope this area can get going. I had such high hopes for it to be a viable TOD.

Eric, I posted on this yesterday in the Atlanta Projects thread. There's quite a bit going on in that area, although I think a lot of it is still under construction. I'm thinking the Cosmopolitan may have recently opened and it appeared to me that construction was getting underway at the old Gold Club site.

-----------

I wrote:

[quoting Martinman]:

I was checking out the ARC website and was just amazed at the size of this project on Linbergh

Lindmont (the name of the old but nice apts to be redeveloped)

400 apartments

275 townhomes

115 townhouses (what the difference is, I dont know)

600 high rise units

100,000 sf retail

By the way, I happened to be coming down Piedmont the other day and noticed signs of construction at the old Gold Club site in Buckhead. Didn't Wayne Mason buy that property and say he was going to put up a high end condo tower?

There's quite a bit going on around there, with BellSouth's Lindbergh Center project, the Sembler redevelopment of the old Broadview Plaza site, and the Lindmont development you've described.

Atlanta Business Chronicle article

I don't think it's too big of a deal to have a separate thread for something like this, especially when discussing an entire section/area even if it is relatively small. That Metro Atlanta Projects List has gotten cluttered enough as it is with so many developments.

Eric, I posted on this yesterday in the Atlanta Projects thread. There's quite a bit going on in that area, although I think a lot of it is still under construction. I'm thinking the Cosmopolitan may have recently opened and it appeared to me that construction was getting underway at the old Gold Club site.

That may be the case, but right now this area looks like crap. No wonder the Linbergh development has had trouble attracting tenants for its retail.

I just hope that the big progects attract some other redevelopment on the West side of Piedmont North of the Bellsouth/MARTA complex and the other surrounding areas.

That may be the case, but right now this area looks like crap.
I have to agree. Lindbergh City Center itself looks great and there are a lot of big projects going on around there, but Piedmont right now is not going to win any beauty contests. Almost nothing new had been done in that area for 40 years until the late 90's (as I recall).

It's my understanding all of the old apartments in the Morosgo area will go, although I know there has been debate about the number of residents who are being displaced. I doubt, however, that the Chick-Fil-A and the Pizza hut and those other restaurants will be moving anytime soon. I believe both the Norfolk Southern and MARTA lines run close behind them so it's probably not the most attractive site for developers.

For what it's worth, I took some photos of Lindbergh City Center a while back. On the whole I thought it looked pretty good. That area is obviously going through some major changes and hopefully the surrounding neighborhoods will catch up soon and bring that area up to speed after several decades of neglect. I think having the MARTA station integegrated into the development is a major plus, and they'll also be directly on the Beltline. Very close to I-85 and GA 400, as well as plenty of surface streets.

Lindbergh City Center

I'll miss the Lindmont apartments & especially the development occuring there isn't that impressive. BUT - it is not a gated / enclosed development, it will feature a street system that will provide an additional Piedmont acess. But the retail along Piedmont features a parking lot in front of it on Piedmont & the overall plan is - kind of boring.

I'll miss the Lindmont apartments & especially the development occuring there isn't that impressive. BUT - it is not a gated / enclosed development, it will feature a street system that will provide an additional Piedmont acess. But the retail along Piedmont features a parking lot in front of it on Piedmont & the overall plan is - kind of boring.

That is dissappointing especially witht the density that is coming to this area with all of the old apt's being redeveloped. You would think that the city wouldn't allow this (parking lots in front) on any more of our major streets.

That is dissappointing especially witht the density that is coming to this area with all of the old apt's being redeveloped. You would think that the city wouldn't allow this (parking lots in front) on any more of our major streets.

There is new retail going in on Piedmont with the parking lots out front? :(

I know the old stuff was set up this way, but I thought all the new developments going in around there had parking behind or underneath.

There is new retail going in on Piedmont with the parking lots out front? :(

I know the old stuff was set up this way, but I thought all the new developments going in around there had parking behind or underneath.

The new developments do not have the parking lots in the front. It is the same format as the edgewood retail district. These people are full of $#!! Also, The Cosmopolitan looks very cool and totally urban. The units are literally on the street.

The new developments do not have the parking lots in the front. It is the same format as the edgewood retail district. These people are full of $#!! Also, The Cosmopolitan looks very cool and totally urban. The units are literally on the street.

We were not discussing the Cosmopolitan. We were talking about the redevelopment plans for the Lindmont apartments. :blink:

We were not discussing the Cosmopolitan. We were talking about the redevelopment plans for the Lindmont apartments. :blink:

Eek! Who's doing this redevelopment of the Lindmont apartments and when will it begin? Why on earth did the city let them include retail with parking lots out front? I'm surprised some of the other developers in that area didn't jump on them as well.

Hopefully there's still time to change it before the work actually begins!

:shok:

Well - design changes can still be made, & hopefully they will. The retail that faces Piedmont is actually on the side of one of the buildings which is parallel to Piedmont. There will be a new street that intersects Piedmont on the other side of Pep Boys (which is staying) & one row of parking appears to be between the street & the side of the building. My guess is that it was designed that way because it would have been too far of a walk from the opposite side of the residential building to the retail.

Well - design changes can still be made, & hopefully they will. The retail that faces Piedmont is actually on the side of one of the buildings which is parallel to Piedmont. There will be a new street that intersects Piedmont on the other side of Pep Boys (which is staying) & one row of parking appears to be between the street & the side of the building. My guess is that it was designed that way because it would have been too far of a walk from the opposite side of the residential building to the retail.
Thanks, I found it.

Eek! Who's doing this redevelopment of the Lindmont apartments and when will it begin? Why on earth did the city let them include retail with parking lots out front? I'm surprised some of the other developers in that area didn't jump on them as well.

Hopefully there's still time to change it before the work actually begins!

:shok:

The same company who did the apartments at Atlantic Station. Lane Company is saying it is going to be the same design as Atlantic Station.

Archived