Secaucus Transfer NJ Turnpike Exit

castneria

I have been trying to find out for Months now more information on the new exit being built in Secaucus on the NJ turnpike. I have heard that they are building a new freeway to connect Jersey City with Secaucus through an unused tunnel called the "Bergen Arches" and that this freeway will terminate at the new NJ Turnpike Exit called "Exit 16X". Does anybody have any additional information on this? I have been unable to find anything on this at the NJ DOT, NJ Transit or the Turnpike Authority. I would be interested to see maps of the project.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

You gotta love the NJ Turnpike with the mis-management of controlling costs! Pretty soon, it will cost $10 to travel the entire turnpike. :rofl:

I am picking on teh Turnpike on this situation with Exit 15X, the developer backed out the last second to bring in commericial venues to transfer station.

• 1 month later...

You gotta love the NJ Turnpike with the mis-management of controlling costs! Pretty soon, it will cost $10 to travel the entire turnpike. :rofl:

I am picking on teh Turnpike on this situation with Exit 15X, the developer backed out the last second to bring in commericial venues to transfer station.

A big part of the problem at Secaucus is large-scale planned improvements to the rail access to New York will (if they go through) make the Transfer station obsolete! The station was overbuilt to begin with. They over-anticipated demand for rail trips from places in along the Pascack Valley, Main, Bergen, Montclair-Boonton lines into Manhattan. These trips would have required a transfer at Secaucus onto NEC, NJCL, or M&E trains into NYC. BUT, from many of these places Express buses into Manhattan are faster b/c there's no required transfer! So when Secaucus opened in 2004, ridership was initially high as people tried the rail option, and then plummetted because people realized their buses were actually faster and required no transfer.

And once the ARC project brings Midtown Direct service to the Pascack, Main, Bergen, and M-B lines, there will be no need to transfer at SEC.

Archived