Burlington MSA in Greensboro-WS CSA?

TravisNC

When the new metro area definitions came out last year Burlington was it's own MSA and not part of the Greensboro/Winston-Salem CSA. Then there was talk of adding it back in. So, is it officially part of the Greensboro/Winston-Salem CSA again or is it still it's own MSA?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While technically its not included at this point they are working on putting Burlington back in the Triad. the numbers for the comutting patterns between Greensboro and Burlington are really high and the government wants Burlington in the Triad.

Burlington was in the Triad, but for some reason said they didn't want to be in the Triad, now they want to be in the Triad? Burlington thought about trying to create their own small metro area. While it may work for Winston-Salem or Durham, it won't work well for Burlington. :lol:

I think they realized this and changed their minds.

The Triad had to fight to keep Winston-Salem also. The OMB was set to seperate Winston-Salem from Greensboro into it's own metro area, but both Winston-Salem and Greensboro fought to say it would create an identity problem (The "Triad" wouldn't be the Triad without Winston-Salem). Also a metro with 1 million+ people can attract more large headquarters and employers than a small metro. High Point was almost removed from the Triad name, but not the metro. They don't like using two cities from one county. I think they were successful in keeping High Point in the name.

Off Subject:

Did you see where the county I live in is now a part of Asheville's metro area! :D Henderson County will be added, finally, to Asheville. It's causing some problems for local transit. The state doesn't pay most of the cost of transit systems in large metros, but it does for small rural areas. Hendersonville was a small rural metro area when the bus system was first started, but now Hendersonville is Asheville. The state now expects Hendersonville to fund the buses! They need to find money fast to keep the buses running or end the service. It's a well used and liked system too. :(

...Also a metro with 1 million+ people can attract more large headquarters and employers than a small metro...

I have to agree with that. The Greensboro/Winston-Salem/Highpoint metro could certainly use the ~135,893 people who live in Alamance county.

Thanks for the info guys. Let's hope they are officially added back to the CSA. I'm kind of surprised it was removed in the first place. My sister lives in Burlington and she goes to Greensboro at least once a week to shop, go to clubs, etc.

OK I'm wondering - where are the latest update on the metro definitions- what id the website???

ALso I thought the census beaureu outlined this in black and white, I thought they were in charge. Therefore I'm wondering how a county could dispute this.

Also when are the definitions final? In April???

OK I'm wondering - where are the latest update on the metro definitions- what id the website???

ALso I thought the census beaureu outlined this in black and white, I thought they were in charge. Therefore I'm wondering how a county could dispute this.

Also when are the definitions final? In April???

Here's the web site from the White House Office of Management and Budget: http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/bulletins/b03-04.html Look at the very bottom for a PDF named "Attachment." The second paragraph under "1. Purpose" says that they go into effect immediately (June 6, 2003).

Thanks- It doesnt look like Burlington will be in......I guess it will only be in the Triad in spirit :P

Anyway, I was reading the mish-mash mess of CSA MSA NECTA and Micropolitan areas. AM I THE ONLY ONE ON SSA WHO THINKS THIS IS TOTALLY CONFUSING AND INSANE??????????????????? :rolleyes:

They ought to just keep it the old way and just add and subtract from the existing MSA's according to the new commuting data, however keeping MSA's and CMSA's!

Oh and Travis I went into that pase with the corrections to the metro areas and found a MISTAKE haha.

East Stroudsburg PA will be included in the Easton, MD metro? East Stroudsburg is in Northeast PA and the Jersey border and Easton MD is 6 hours south on the DEL MAR VA.

(Unless they mean Allentown-Bathlehem-Easton PA) but even that makes no since. ANYWAY my point is these definitions are a crock! :lol::lol::lol:

Thanks- It doesnt look like Burlington will be in......I guess it will only be in the Triad in spirit  :P

In this document, yes Burlington is taken out of the Greensboro/W-S/High Point CSA, but since this has come out the Burlington govt. has asked to be put back in. That's why I started this thread, to ask if they were officially back in now. As cityboi pointed out they're still trying to get it back in.

Anyway, I was reading the mish-mash mess of CSA MSA NECTA and Micropolitan areas. AM I THE ONLY ONE ON SSA WHO THINKS THIS IS TOTALLY CONFUSING AND INSANE???????????????????  :rolleyes:

They ought to just keep it the old way and just add and subtract from the existing MSA's according to the new commuting data, however keeping MSA's and CMSA's!

I kind of like the new definitions, but I never really learned the old ones so maybe that's why I don't find them as confusing. Basically there are big cities (Metropolitan), small cities (Micropolitan) and if they are close enough and enough people commute between them, then they are grouped together as a CSA. I just hope people look at CSA's too when comparing metros, especially since Greensboro/W-S, Raleigh/Durham, and San Francisco/San Jose were split, but are joined in CSAs. Those metros share too much to be split.

Oh and Travis I went into that pase with the corrections to the metro areas and found a MISTAKE haha.

East Stroudsburg PA will be included in the Easton, MD metro? East Stroudsburg is in Northeast PA and the Jersey border and Easton MD is 6 hours south on the DEL MAR VA.

Are you sure? The only mention of East Stroudsburg I saw was the East Stroudsburg Micropolitan area. I didn't see East Stroudsburg and Easton, MD as part of any CSA.

ANYWAY my point is these definitions are a crock!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Hey, I never said they made sense, I just told you were you could get them. :P:lol:

Burlington will likely be put back in the Triad. But there are already talks of the Triad and Triangle becoming the first "megapolis" in the Carolinas. Of course this would be a much smaller megapolis than "Bowash" or Boston-Washington,DC. Burlington will be the city that ties the immediate Triad with the Triangle. Some in the Triad are saying that the Triad and Triangle will put together a land-use and development plan for both metros. Becoming a megapolis would also helps elevate the major cities in both metros to "major league status". This unity would place the cities on the same playing field as the big boys like Atlanta. Greensboro/W-S associating themselves with Raleigh/Durham will be great for the Triad's image.

I know I wasn't blaming you- I'm just saying these definitions get confusing - esp when comparing them.

I HOPE! that the almanacs just compare CSA's and throw in the metro for places like Portland, OR and I think Memphis which have no CSA.

Its when I see manes like Deltona-Daytona-Ormond Beach, PLEASE the average Joe is going to say Daytona.

or Orlando-The Villages, the Villages is just a far flung town.

OR putting Anson county in the Charlotte metro it seems so far...

But read all the names they just don't sound right...

I know I wasn't blaming you- I'm just saying these definitions get confusing - esp when comparing them.

I HOPE! that the almanacs just compare CSA's and throw in the metro for places like Portland, OR and I think Memphis which have no CSA...

I know I was just kidding with you. ;)

I agree with your second paragraph completely. Most forumers are using that method to compare metros. Somewhere on the Office of Managment and Budget web site they say you souldn't compare CSAs to MSAs, but I don't see why not considering the Census Bureau compares CMSAs to MSAs.

Archived