Macon's South Downtown Connector to be Extended

wks2003x

As if all of the other new highways weren't enough, Mayor Ellis wants to extend the "South Downtown Connector" that would run Little Richard Penniman Blvd. from Mercer University all the way to MLK Jr. Blvd. Anyone else agree that Macon is becoming a little highway hungry? :blink:

Other Mactown Road Projects:

I-16 is to be widened to 12 or 14 lanes through downtown

I-75 is to be widened to 8 lanes through the city

Jones County Connector will connect North Bibb/South Monroe with Gray

I-14 was proposed

Eisenhower Pkwy. Extension/Fall Line Freeway

Upgrades to I-75/I-475 interchanges

Surely all of this new pavement has got to reduce our commute times.

Check it out.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So are they trying to make Macon a mini-Atlanta?

Seems that way right. All they need to do now is loop 475 around the whole city instead of just the westside. I wonder why they are not considering taking I-14 right through the city providing the Macon Metro with a centrally located east/west and a north/south interstate instead running it in south Macon/ Warner Robbins. It would be like 75/85 and I-20 in Atlanta. I mean thats what makes 285 so great up there because its easily accessible from the north, south, east, and west. Its probably part of Atlantas sprawl problem too, where ppl dont mind living so far out because the can just hit the interstate and head into town from just about anywhere in the region. Whatever GDOT decides to do its majoly goin' down in tha Mactown.

A little highway hungry indeed... Does Macon really need a 12-14 lane freeway? The busiest in Augusta (520) is only 6 lanes + 2 auxillary lanes, and that's completely sufficient. Heck, the biggest freeway in Miami only reaches 12 lanes for a very short distance, though it's also very over-capacity...

Looking at a map of town, it seems to me like the best path for I-14 would be just south of Macon, where it's sparsely developed, possibly with an intersection around the same spot as the 75/475 interchange... Do you have a map of the current proposed route of I-14? I'd love to see that.

A little highway hungry indeed... Does Macon really need a 12-14 lane freeway? The busiest in Augusta (520) is only 6 lanes + 2 auxillary lanes, and that's completely sufficient. Heck, the biggest freeway in Miami only reaches 12 lanes for a very short distance, though it's also very over-capacity...

Looking at a map of town, it seems to me like the best path for I-14 would be just south of Macon, where it's sparsely developed, possibly with an intersection around the same spot as the 75/475 interchange... Do you have a map of the current proposed route of I-14? I'd love to see that.

Ok... i can see it interchanfing with 475 and 75, it would certainly be a shot in the arm for south macon development, but Warner Robins? Macon leaders should be lobbying hard to get this project in Bibb county.

Macon doesnt really have a traffic problem. The I-16 and 75 Meger does need to be redone, its dangerous.

True. Only certain parts of the day it gets bad but not constantly. Mercer is horrible though after 5. I hate going to Lizella that late. esenhower too. The interstates arent so bad though. I16 around downtown does get a little congested though.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone heard anything about looping 475 all the way around Macon and not just the West side?

Many have brought it up... some have even suggested building a completely new perimeter around macon's 3 interstates, but both are very unlikely to ever happen (considering the flack Atlanta's getting for 285).

What is likely (and construction will actually begin soon) is that the 75/475 interstates will form a pseudo-perimeter so that one could make a loop around the city if he desires. Expect the south interchange to see reconstruction first with the north interchange to follow.

Many have brought it up... some have even suggested building a completely new perimeter around macon's 3 interstates, but both are very unlikely to ever happen (considering the flack Atlanta's getting for 285).

What is likely (and construction will actually begin soon) is that the 75/475 interstates will form a pseudo-perimeter so that one could make a loop around the city if he desires. Expect the south interchange to see reconstruction first with the north interchange to follow.

What are ppl saying about 285. I lived in Atlanta for a while and my only complaint about it is that its just a packed with traffic a lot of times as I-75/85. But its very convient to be able to go from east atlanta to west atlanta without dealing with traffic lights and u can travel at higher speeds. We cant do that in macon. If u live in lizella or crawford to get to east macon or jones co. u have top make the long trip down colombus rd. (usually behind slow drivers), hit mercer (where all hell breaks loose), finally get to 75, get off dontown, and get on gray highway (where more hell breaks loose). I think it would be great to just take 475 all the way around. Excuse my ignorance, pseudo-perimeter?

• 8 months later...

No This project in Macon is despritely needed, i see that your are not from Macon, because it so you would know how highly chaotic this area can get during early morning rush hour, lunch and afternoon rushes. this project will be great improvement and would be great for this much needed area of highway.

In all reality, there is no need for a 12-14 lane freeway in all of Georgia.....

• 1 month later...

No This project in Macon is despritely needed, i see that your are not from Macon, because it so you would know how highly chaotic this area can get during early morning rush hour, lunch and afternoon rushes. this project will be great improvement and would be great for this much needed area of highway.

This problem really comes down to two angles- is this a traffic problem or a land use problem? The question you need to ask yourself is do you want to encourage more automobile traffic by adding capacity, or do you want to encourage land use changes that will support mass transit and walking?

I will never understand why Georgia thinks it can build roads to solve its congestion problems. It seems to me that Atlanta has shown pretty effectively that it doesnt work. They should take Macon, Augusta, Columbus, and Savannah and make better examples out of them.

^ I have to disagree. Atlanta's MARTA receives no state funding whatsoever. That along with suburban resistance to extending MARTA into the suburbs has hampered it. Given its small coverage area, it still suports over 450,000 people every day, easily making it among the largest transit systems in the country (though I'm not sure how many of those people ride the bus as opposed to the trains).

^ I have to disagree. Atlanta's MARTA receives no state funding whatsoever. That along with suburban resistance to extending MARTA into the suburbs has hampered it. Given its small coverage area, it still suports over 450,000 people every day, easily making it among the largest transit systems in the country (though I'm not sure how many of those people ride the bus as opposed to the trains).

That 450,00 figure is accurate system wide.

MARTA's Annual Unlinked Trips are broken down into mode (but daily travel isnt), so you can get an idea of what percentage rides the bus vs rail. The break down is like this:

Combined: 136 million trips

Bus: 67 million trips

Rail: 69 million trips

MARTA has been more successful lately, particularly as these major projects and towers keep coming near the rail lines. COnsidering the lack of state funding, and that most of the money comes from local sources, I'd say they are doing well. Marta really needs to add new lines to expand service to new areas like Gwinnett and Cobb/Marietta.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

This graphic shows I-14 actually going south of Warner Robins. That would make a lot more sense than trying to add all of that traffic to what's already in Macon. Mayby it could be the first segment of a Macon Perimeter... I-475 is already too busy to be a descent 'bypass' anyway...

22-14-81_Combined.JPG

Archived