Why no Hard Rock Cafe's or Cheesecake Factories in the PacNW?

PghUSA

Thought I would toss this out there, on the Pittsburgh forum SunDodger and I have discussed some of the differences and similarities between Portland, Seattle and Pittsburgh.

In running one of my posts, I wanted to know about some of the more choosy national retail chains all over such as Ikea, Whole Foods, Hard Rock Cafe and the Cheesecake Factory. Though all three regions are well represented in the former two I was kind of shocked and puzzled why a national map of HRC's and CCF's are covering almost every regional corner of the USA except Seattle, Portland, Tacoma and Corvallis (sp). I would have surely thought that the home to OU and hip Seattle would have embraced one like they have embraced Ikea's and Whole Foods and Southwest Airlines (the first thought in my mind was maybe NIMBY's or citizens that didn't want national chains bulldozing in were at work but the other "hip" national chains seem to be mushrooming all over the Pac NW).

Any insights on that?

-A curious consumer.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ I agree. How lucky they are not to have that junk. Both are as unathentic as you can get. If the first Hard Rock Cafe was cool, the time has certainly past (although I do like the hotel in Vegas). As for Cheesecake Factory, average chain restaurant serving the same stuff they all do.

Though all three regions are well represented in the former two I was kind of shocked and puzzled why a national map of HRC's and CCF's are covering almost every regional corner of the USA except Seattle, Portland, Tacoma and Corvallis (sp).

The NW has both of those chains. There is a Hard Rock Cafe in Whistler, BC and there are Cheesecake Factories in both Seattle & Bellevue. Does Pittsburgh have a Nordstrom yet?

My bad Seattle does have 2 CCF's, but why no HRC in Washington or Oregon? HRC and CCF aren't the best, but like it or not they do represent the "on the map" fun/fine dining for cities. I'd much rather see more Primanti's in the 'burgh. To your question on Nordstroms Sun, no, though in the late 80's they were ready to move in but the state/county/city and Steelers bungled it with some competing bids and then the economy changed, they have talked to a Northhills mall recently about moving in. Although I'd love Nordstroms to come to the 'burgh I'd rather go to a Kaufmann's ;) all that money going to build Fallingwater!

but why no HRC in Washington or Oregon?

Because they would die. Why would anyone in Seattle, one of the music capitals of the world, go to a Hardrock Cafe? It isn't difficult to understand why it would fail. Why go see the fake when you could go out and see live music or eat at one the rock stars very own restaurants. That is why the only Hard Rock around here is at a resort community that attracts a lot of people from outside of the area.

HRC and CCF aren't the best, but like it or not they do represent the "on the map" fun/fine dining for cities.

They are both terrible & this area has both. We are not being underserved.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

"Good" tourist traps are more fun. There's something almost cynical about HRC. I've yet to understand the attraction. The hotels, however, are surprisingly smart in their design and general presentation. The two nearly don't seem to fit together.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived