Tara Boulevard to be renamed?

ironchapman

Group: Rename Tara Boulevard for Rosa Parks

They say they want it to represent Clayton's diverse community. Tara is no longer appropriate because it has gone from being a mostly white suburban county to a county with a predominantly black communtiy.

This group has sent multiple letter to Clayton County's legislative delegation. Two legislators for the county say that this is the first they've ever heard of it.

I'm afraid I must agree with their opinions:

Parks' memory should honored, said Commission Chairman Eldrin Bell, but with something bigger than a road.

State Sen. Valencia Seay (D-College Park) said honoring Parks' memory is admirable. But Seay said some other project might be a better idea.

Rosa Parks should be honored, don't get me wrong, but not by replacing the name of a road whose name is just as important to Atlanta history. Not Tara, please. Make it something bigger if you have to, but just not Tara. I don't want to lose Tara.

And they should make sure we don't add it to the airport either..........it's got enough names on it already.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is typical Atlanta racial politics: Change the name of a street (or school, etc) from a name which comes from an historical figure who was white (or here refering to a movie) to one which reflects the name of a black historical figure. This doesnt just happen in Atlanta though. In New Orleans, the schools named for George Washington and Thomas Jefferson were changed just because they were slave owners (despite the fact that they founded this country). And of course all vestiges of the Confederacy in school names have been eliminated in NO. This is really obnoxious to me. I have no objection to schools or roads being named for black figures, but there is no reason to tear down what already exists. Simply use the black figures for new roads or schools and keep the old names too. This is a reasonable solution.

I disagree with this. Rosa Parks has nothing to do with Atlanta (directly anyway).

Although I agree with yours and Riverside's posts, I think that the reason they wish to do this is because Atlanta was one of, if not the most, important or recognized city in the Civil Rights movement. Honoring her would only seem right.

Just imagine if we tried to rename Andrew Young Int'l Boulevard for, say, Zell Miller. Imagine the uproar it would create (they'd probably find some ancestor of his who owned slaves and use that as one of their cheif means of discrediting him :P ), yet they can name something after a non-white person with little or no objection.

If they do want to honor her, build a monument or a statue or something. Don't take the name of a road that honors one of the most important events in Atlanta's history.

The only exception to the racial politics that Riverside mentioned is Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. People just didn't want to lose Hartsfield's name.

If they do want to honor her, build a monument or a statue or something. Don't take the name of a road that honors one of the most important events in Atlanta's history.

The name of a house from a fictional book? ;)

It's a suburban highway built a few decades ago built in the area Margaret Mitchell was inspired by a house. Other than that 'Tara' has no other connection to Clayton County, and particularly due to changing demographic patterns even less of a connection.

With that said - I too dislike historic street name changes, but Tara Blvd doesn't constitue anything 'historic' nor 'street'. The thoroughfare is a US highway home to strip malls & apartment complexes. I won't be losing any sleep over this...

Andrea: The problem is they are proposing to tear down the heritage of one group in order to promote the heritage of another group (although Rosa Parks is not exclusively a black hero, I think you get my point). A better solution would be to honor her by naming something else for her which is not yet named. That way everyone is happy. Your way leads to division. My way leads to unity and makes everyone happy.

Andrea: The problem is they are proposing to tear down the heritage of one group in order to promote the heritage of another group (although Rosa Parks is not exclusively a black hero, I think you get my point). A better solution would be to honor her by naming something else for her which is not yet named. That way everyone is happy. Your way leads to division. My way leads to unity and makes everyone happy.

You sound like the typical red-neck fools that give BS reasons for their racist beliefs.

The name of a house from a fictional book? ;)

It's a suburban highway built a few decades ago built in the area Margaret Mitchell was inspired by a house. Other than that 'Tara' has no other connection to Clayton County, and particularly due to changing demographic patterns even less of a connection.

With that said - I too dislike historic street name changes, but Tara Blvd doesn't constitue anything 'historic' nor 'street'. The thoroughfare is a US highway home to strip malls & apartment complexes. I won't be losing any sleep over this...

I was thinking more along the lines of the burning of Atlanta.

Riverside, I can agree with most of your post, but that last part seems a bit too divisive.

Of course, what's wrong with being a little bit of a redneck?

Andrea, those must be 2000 demographics. I would estimate the black populaton to be about 60% now and white around 20%. Also, I remember hearing a couple years ago that Jimmy Carter Blvd. up in Gwinnett was being considered for a change to a Hispanic name. I am not sure what became of that though.

All of this says nothing about the confusion all this renaming causes. I mean, I still refer to Lakewood Freeway and Bankhead Highway even though they're called Langford Parkway and -- I don't even know what Bankhead is called now.

Leave the road name alone. Find another road to rename.

Oh, I though the Airport rename was BS. What did Maynard ever do to create the Airport? Enhance maybe, but that was always William Hartsfield's legacy.

Oh, I though the Airport rename was BS. What did Maynard ever do to create the Airport? Enhance maybe, but that was always William Hartsfield's legacy.

And if we go by importance to the city, then Allen, who died a few days before or after (can't remember when) Maynard, should have been the name added onto the airport instead.

It should've just stayed Hartsfield, though.

You sound like the typical red-neck fools that give BS reasons for their racist beliefs.
atlla: I can assure you I am neither a redneck nor a fool, but I can tell by your poorly written response that you are the latter. Thank you for your insightful comment though.

Riverside, I can agree with most of your post, but that last part seems a bit too divisive.

How is what I said at all divisive? How is naming roads for citizens of all races divisive? If you want divisive, read atlla's post.

How is what I said at all divisive? How is naming roads for citizens of all races divisive? If you want divisive, read atlla's post.

I wasn't talking about that part of your post. I agree with it.

This part seems just a bit too...how to put it...strong of a way of saying it.

Your way leads to division. My way leads to unity and makes everyone happy.

Ooh, this is getting good.

Honoring someones legacy should not come at the expense of anothers legacy. That is why, in my humble opinion, renaming the airport was a giant slap in the face to William Hartsfield. "Tara" doesn't exist, it has absolutely no relation to metro Atlanta, other then being the hometown of the author who created the place. I personally, wouldn't care if they renamed Tara Blvd to honor Rosa Parks, but I believe that she deserves something more then an ugly state highway filled with lube shops and grease pits. How about a statue. What ever happened to commissioning a piece of public art to commemorate someone's legacy. When I am dead and gone and Atlanta chooses to honor me ( :D ) I certainly do not want an overpass or interchange or ugly road named after me. I want a statue...a big beautifull statue right in Piedmont Park (next to the parking deck) :sick:

Geez chill out! Don't be hateful. I personally don't think the name should be changed to Rosa Praks Boulevard. Frnakly, I think both names are kind of dumb. Tara plantation never existed and Rosa Parks didn't have anything to do with Atlanta. If they do want to honor Rosa Parks though, they should just rename a new street or new building after her. There's no need to rename a street after her. Doing that would just cause more contreversy. But seriously though, I wish everybody would stop going off on how they're so proud to be black or white or gispanic or asian or whatever. Just be proud to be an American, or better yet, a human being. Doing this would unify all of us so much more. Anyway, that's my two cents. It's just what I believe.

My guess as to the reason why Tara Boulevard is in Clayton County is because the "real" (so to speak) Tara was in Clayton County. But I don't see why we shouldn't have a road named for one the most famous plantations ever, real or not.

Ooh, this is getting good.

Honoring someones legacy should not come at the expense of anothers legacy. That is why, in my humble opinion, renaming the airport was a giant slap in the face to William Hartsfield. "Tara" doesn't exist, it has absolutely no relation to metro Atlanta, other then being the hometown of the author who created the place. I personally, wouldn't care if they renamed Tara Blvd to honor Rosa Parks, but I believe that she deserves something more then an ugly state highway filled with lube shops and grease pits. How about a statue. What ever happened to commissioning a piece of public art to commemorate someone's legacy. When I am dead and gone and Atlanta chooses to honor me ( :D ) I certainly do not want an overpass or interchange or ugly road named after me. I want a statue...a big beautifull statue right in Piedmont Park (next to the parking deck) :sick:

I think Dwight D. Eisenhower ould like to disagree with you there about the highway stuff :P

But I think I may have created a monster with this topic. :ph34r:

I think Dwight D. Eisenhower ould like to disagree with you there about the highway stuff :P

The difference is that Eisenhower created the interstate highway system, and he doesn't have just "a" road named after him he has an interstate system named after him.

Besides, Eisenhower can have the highways...I wouldn't want a system that has done more to harm the urban landscape of this country then any other single project named after me.

Besides, Eisenhower can have the highways...I wouldn't want a system that has done more to harm the urban landscape of this country then any other single project named after me.

They are quite useful for long travels (i.e. here to Dallas-Ft. Worth), but cities and highways almost never are a good marriage.

Though, for better or worse, (I'm sure you'll say worse :P ), they have led to the growth of many cities and metros.

Ok - just one comment regarding Rosa Parks 'not having anything to do with Atlanta'. That is like Martin Luther King Jr had nothing to do with LA or George Washington had nothing to do with Denver. Rosa Parks was a major component of the civil rights movement and at the very least, any transit system should be a reminder of her legacy.

I think that the "Tara Blvd Renaming Committee" is reacting more on emotions. Tara needs major aesthetic work and rezonings, rather than a new name with all of it's assorted costs to the businesses and residents.

I personally don't care either way, but like many others said, honor Rosa with a statue (maybe in a new Auburn Ave streetscape plan).

While Rosa wasn't from Atlanta, MLK wasn't from the 2 or 3 thousand cities that have MLK Jr Blvds, so that argument doesn't hold up.

Just know that as Clayton and other suburban become more racially diverse (read decreasing white population, increasing black and Latino population), roads, parks, etc names can and probably will be changed.

I think that Peachtree st, rd should be renamed Peachtree Blvd...from its inception at Whitehall up to the Gwinnett county line and maybe farther.

Archived