Tara Boulevard to be renamed?

ironchapman

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Atlanta must be really feeling its Democratic oats with slapping Jackson on Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport.

Who knows? They might have named something after Jackson and Hartsfield even if they'd been Republicans. Apparently they both had something to do with the airport.

Yeah, Shirley most certainly has a pair. As does Cathy Woolard. hehe

Er, guys, incredibly enough, women don't require male anatomy to come up with good ideas or to be decisive leaders. Although mayors for the prior 40 years actually had said anatomy, it didn't seem to assist them in facing up to replacing the crumbling sewers or building a new park system.

:lol:

Er, guys, incredibly enough, women don't require male anatomy to come up with good ideas or to be decisive leaders. Although mayors for the prior 40 years actually had said anatomy, it didn't seem to assist them in facing up to replacing the crumbling sewers or building a new park system.

Now come on, you know Shirley wears the pants in Atlanta. :P

Who knows? They might have named something after Jackson and Hartsfield even if they'd been Republicans. Apparently they both had something to do with the airport.

That's what I always thought. Hartsfield was influential in building the airport and Jackson modernized it in the 1970's.

I don't think parties have anything to do with it here.

Now come on, you know Shirley wears the pants in Atlanta. :P
Yeah, but you don't need any particular anatomy to put on a pair of pants, krazeeboi.

I guess I'm just a little tired of the standards of bold, decisive, active, powerful, intelligent, and competent being defined in male terms. I love you guys but I don't think either sex has a corner on those qualities.

Although I must say the guys who were brave enough to wade into this thicket must have a damn big pair of ovaries.

Yeah, but you don't need any particular anatomy to put on a pair of pants, krazeeboi.

:shok: Jezebel! :rofl:

I guess I'm just a little tired of the standards of bold, decisive, active, powerful, intelligent, and competent being defined in male terms. I love you guys but I don't think either sex has a corner on those qualities.

Although I must say the guys who were brave enough to wade into this thicket must have a damn big pair of ovaries.

:rofl:

Indeed.

I have mellowed a little on the topic since I posted it. I still don't want it to be changed, but it's not going to be the end of the world if it does.

We shouldn't forget that Gone With the Wind is not only an (fictious as it may be) account of perhaps the most important moment in Atlanta's history (aside from it being founded), but it is also an important moment in Atlanta's history itself. It has played a vital role in exposing Atlanta to the world, perhaps just as much as Coca-Cola, Delta, and the Olympics (I say this because it has grossed more than any other book in history aside from the Bible when adjusted for inflation, and the movie would still be #1 in total gross today if adjusted for inflation).

Didn't Martin Luther King Sr. (who was, like his son, MLK, Jr., a Civil Rights advocate) say something about it being an important account of a moment in Atlanta's history (even with the mentions of slavery)?

If I was a member of Rosa Parks family, I would take one ride down Tara Blvd and say "thanks for the thought be PLEASE do NOT name this street after my ________.!" Tara Blvd is a mess. It's ugly, tacky and totally unbefitting Rosa Parks. I think there are so many better options than Tara Blvd. I can understand what the politicians are trying to do but why not give her the benefit like Ronald Reagan was bestowed in Forsyth and Gwinnett counties. Both these counties made new roads and named them after him. They are both appealing and befitting the "Great Communicator." I say thumbs down to renaming Tara Blvd after Rosa parks....not because I want to preserve some reminder of the old south but rather because the street is just so not well put together.

I think it goes beyond just wanting to honor Rosa Parks, she is just being used as a symbol for the new Clayton County. I think they are going with something big - to announce that this isn't the old Clayton Co, but a very new one. Demographically it is obvious - it's change is incredible in the past 20 years. But renaming the most well known highway in Clayton puts the dot at the end of the sentance - that Blacks aren't 'moving into' a White county, but essentially placing control.

I am still a bit mixed, but I do truly understand the reasoning.

I still say no because this is a further erosion to the sense of history and place in this city. Too many places have been renamed. I fully understand that the Black leaders need to be honored, but name new roads and places. Between these PC efforts and the corporate sposorship we have lost such historical names as:

Lakewood Freeway

Bankhead Hwy

Lakewood Ampitheater (an homage to the fairgrounds where it is located)

The Peach Bowl

Stewart Avenue

Hartsfield Int'l Airport (name the new international terminal after Maynard, Harstfield is the one that had the vision for the airport)

Like I said, people like Langford, Hollowel, and Maynard Jackson deserve/need to be honored, but must we keep erasing our city's history. We have so little of it here.

I still say no because this is a further erosion to the sense of history and place in this city. Too many places have been renamed. I fully understand that the Black leaders need to be honored, but name new roads and places. Between these PC efforts and the corporate sposorship we have lost such historical names as:

Lakewood Freeway

Bankhead Hwy

Lakewood Ampitheater (an homage to the fairgrounds where it is located)

The Peach Bowl

Stewart Avenue

Hartsfield Int'l Airport (name the new international terminal after Maynard, Harstfield is the one that had the vision for the airport)

Like I said, people like Langford, Hollowel, and Maynard Jackson deserve/need to be honored, but must we keep erasing our city's history. We have so little of it here.

That's pretty much the main reason I don't want it renamed, but I do agree with teshadoh that they have their reasoning for it.

However, if it was inside the city, I might support the renaming of Campbellton to something else ;)

I understand your point, but aren't those black leaders part of our city's history too?

Oh very true. :) And it's not as if we haven't honored them too. We have MLK Jr. Drive, Andrew Young International Blvd., the Jackson on Hartsfield-Jackson Int'l, Ralph David Abernathy...just to name a few.

They've played a vital role in our city's history. There's no doubting that :) I'm not saying that they or she shouldn't be honored, I'm just saying that Gone With the Wind and the era it portrays, even with the faults the book may have, are just as much a vital part of Atlanta. What intend to be saying is that we might could name something else after her.

Even MLK Jr.'s father said, as I stated before, to the people criticizing it that the book was an important portrayal of that era in Atlanta's history (or something along the lines of that).

I keep getting the idea that, as cheesy as it may sound, some city, somewhere in the country should name it's bus system after her.

^I don't think it's cheesy at all. I would rather it be in a city in which mass transit is a norm for the general population and not simply seen for the "poe folk."

Yeah, based on some bus routes in Atlanta you'd get the impression that Parks made her statement a little too well... not only can black people now sit anywhere they want, they have the whole bus reserved. :blink:

Waht does Rosa Parks have to do with Atlanta anyway? I thought she was Montgomery, Alabama and Detroit, Michigan. I've noticed that alot of cities (Charlotte) are trying to convert some of their streets into ones that honor famous black people. Just one question.......what's this all about? Are the southern cities trying to erase their reputation as hardcore Confederate rebel towns to ones where they are forgiving of segregation back in the 60's?

I made a comment similar to that earlier in this forum (although it wasn't as harsh) But now I realize that Rosa Parks did do a lot for Atlanta and really every city across the country. She helped integrate the bus system in Montgomery, and their success in doing so inspired black residents in other cities to strive for equal rights as well. Atlanta especially owes a great debt to Rosa Parks since there are so many black people in this city who's lives have been changed dramatically due in part to her.

Archived